PDA

View Full Version : Seeking better tab for "roanoke"...

elvisNoir
Aug-18-2007, 12:21pm
Can anyone steer me to some other versions of "Roanoke" that are pretty true to the way that Bill Monroe played it? I have looked around and found some versions, both online (TEF, and PDF), and some others, but the problem remains: I am hoping to find some tab that shows the intro the way Bill seems to have actually played it, and I would like to find some tasteful variants of the "fiddle chorus". It seems like the tabs I have found simplify the intro, or do an alternate approach. Thanks y'all.

Kevin Briggs
Aug-18-2007, 12:27pm
Get the Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza. Listen to "Roanoke" on Windows Media Player. Slow down the intro to half speed. Struggle....

That's probably the best way. I don't know about good tab for it. I play the Monroe version posted on Mandozine's "Essential Tunes" page. It's takes a lot of practice. I probably practice that song more than any I know, and I still have yet to settle in with it. I play it with my band, leading it off and everything, but to play it fast and hit everything cleanly is a challenge.

I can play it comfortably at about 130 beats using a metronome, and am dang close to comfortable up around 150, but I don't do it any justice after 130. I will say that when I go through spurts of really practicing it, like over and over and over, I notice an improvement. I just don't always have the time to practice like that.

I'll also say that I can generally learn a fiddle tune, practice it a bunch, and then kind of always am able to play it. I'll just need to tune up the muscle memory a little. Roanoke is not like that for me. Neither is Katie Hill, for some reason. Big Mon and Ragtime Annie can also pose problems, but not consistently.

12 fret
Aug-18-2007, 2:02pm
Multiple versions on Mandozine if you haven't checked those yet

Fred Keller
Aug-18-2007, 5:09pm
You've embarked on a serious quest. This from Mike Compton when he was guest-of-week on Co-Mando:

Were there any mysteries? You bet. There still are. But nowadays it's mostly me wanting to know why it's so hard to get my hands to play what I'm hearing. Say, the kickoff to "Roanoke". I hit that one about 1/3 the time. I mean, the right way. It's something about the way the notes on the E string are played on the way down...

You may want to connect with Mike about right way. His email is taterbugmusic AT gmail DOT com (common knowledge and public on his website).