PDA

View Full Version : Lyon & healy "c" style

jamface
Aug-17-2007, 4:58pm
Were different versions of the L & H "C" style produced? How would you describe its playing characteristics? How does it compare with the "A" style for sound quality? What might I expect to pay for a "C" style in excellent condition? Many thanks for your help. Bill

Bob A
Aug-17-2007, 9:28pm
There's little difference in sound and playability between the A, B, and C models. The difference is in level of trim.

There are two scale lengths. The earlier were 14" (approx) and later they went to 13".

I don't know if there were different pegheads for these; that'd be the only other vasriation I'd expect.

Insofar as prices are concerned, I haven't a clue. The A and B models were once fairly available; I don't recall seeing many Cs. The A used to run around 3200-3600, the B about half that. The word must have gone out that these are really fine instruments; I don't see them advertised much any more.

mrmando
Aug-18-2007, 12:19am
There's a Style C listed online right now for 3K, which seems a bit high to me. 2K or less seems to be a more realistic price. A Style B could go for 2.5-3K; a Style A could fetch around 4K.

However, I have personal knowledge of examples from within the past month or so of a C selling for 800, a B for 1100, and an A for 2200. Unfortunately, none of them went to me.

jamface
Aug-18-2007, 3:07am
Many thanks for your helpful comments. I've seen the "C" style advertisement at 3K but I think this is Canadian dollars. I wondered if the price was a bit high. Perhaps I need to keep looking. If only we could persuade the world to have a good rummage in their attics some more of these wonderful instruments might come to light! Must go and do some more practice on my current mandolin http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

8ch(pl)
Aug-18-2007, 3:50pm
There's one in a shop in Halifax at $3000CDN.

mrmando
Aug-27-2007, 12:57pm
And there's a C on eBay with a starting bid of $1K and no takers.

Comparing the eBay one with a C that is currently in my favorite luthier's shop being restored, I can answer the question about different versions. The one on eBay has a plain headstock; the one in the luthier's shop has some carving on the headstock.

Jim Garber
Aug-27-2007, 9:50pm
Here is one variation on the headstock. I think this is the earliest circa 1917-18 or so.

Jim

Jim Garber
Aug-27-2007, 9:52pm
Here is another style, usually referred to as deco prob from around 1920.

Jim

Jim Garber
Aug-27-2007, 10:04pm
The last variation I have seen is 1924 which is the plainest headstock. The 1924 catalog I have calls this a style C whereas the 1925 catalog calls it an Aristocrat (see below). There is no mention of a style B BTW in the 1925 one.

Jim

Jim Garber
Aug-27-2007, 10:10pm
And there's a C on eBay with a starting bid of $1K and no takers.
That must be <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/LYON-HEALY-MANDOLIN-CIRCA-1920S_W0QQitemZ170142351109QQihZ007QQcategoryZ308Q QssPageNameZWD
VWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">this one</a>. BTW I think the later ones actually have Washburn labels vs. the earlier ones with Lyon & Healy labels.

Jim