PDA

View Full Version : $200 range mandolin?

steve617
Aug-17-2007, 4:07pm
Hello everyone. I am looking for a mandolin in the $200 perhaps a little more or less. Would love to get a F style but I know for the price I will probably have to settle for an A style. (which is OK) Right now I am thinking about a Kentucky KM150S. I will be doing some searches on the messageboard. Also any websites online that sells them setup. SO far I have visited Folk In the Wood, Janets Music and one or two others

Thanks everyone

Steve

John Flynn
Aug-17-2007, 4:47pm
I personally would not choose to do business with Folk of the Wood, period. I am not wild about Davis' customer service, but I only have one instance to go on with them, so I would give them another try. NFI, but I have had great luck with Elderly and they set up thier instruments. Thier prices are a little higher, but they are very honest, up front and dependable in my experience.

SpazMan
Aug-17-2007, 4:51pm
Steve,

I bought a Rogue A100 as my first mandolin (I'm a guitar player). It was $50, and it seemed ok to have a cheap instrument as a starter... but they're actually pretty good, as good as any other non-solid-wood mando.

I hear good things about the Rogue F-style ($150) too, but never have touched one.

I suggest you buy a Rogue, but whatever you buy, invest in three things after you get it:

1.) Good setup at your music store. And I mean, get them to sand the bottom of the bridge and everything. Probably will cost a good portion of the original price of the instrument.

2.) Get your music store to put in a bone nut. I made one myself and installed it, and my mandolin sounds as good or better than any other I've played. Also quite a bit louder.

3.) Good strings, D'Addarios or GHS Silk and Steel. It's amazing what good, fresh strings will do to any instrument.

Of course, I'm not an experienced mandolin player, but having just gone through this kind of thing, I thought I could help.

RobP
Aug-17-2007, 5:34pm
The low-end Kentucky A I recently purchased from Steve Perry at Gianni Violins for $249 came set up well and is quite playable.

YMMV

Cheers,

Rob

Roydw3
Aug-17-2007, 9:13pm
I had a Rogue my first mandolin and it was absolutely horrible. I took it to a couple of people to try to get it set up better and they all told me not to waste my time. I am not trying to bash you so please don't take it that way. I will just say the Kentucky would be a much better beginner than the Rogue. Stick with the solid wood mandolins. Others will tell you also, find a Mid-Mo.

Elderly used to have a few Kentuckys and they would be set up or as suggested, contack Steve Perry.

Roydw3
Aug-17-2007, 9:19pm
I just checked and elderly has some solid wood Kentuckys for 225. THey set them up and make sure it is ready to go.

Check them out.

steve617
Aug-17-2007, 9:28pm
The KM-150s for $225 shipped at Elderely is probably what I'll get. Its all solid wood. Looks like the best deal for me. I am going on Vacation next weekend to Pigeon Forge, TN and there are a few music stores there. If I dont find a good deal I will probably order the KM150S.

Thanks

Loren Bailey
Aug-17-2007, 9:31pm
I'd give Dennis Vance a call at The Mandolin Store (mandolinstore.com). He is a customer service expert, his mandos are set up perfectly and one heck of a nice guy.

Loren

steve617
Aug-17-2007, 9:43pm
Acording to The Mandolins store website the cheapest mandolin they have is $399, well they do have an electric cheaper. Perhaps they may have others that are not listed. I will check them out. Thanks

steve617
Aug-18-2007, 7:39pm
I have done some studying and thinking. I think in the long run I will be more happy with a better quality mandolin and I defiently want to buy one from someone that will do a good setup. Perhaps something like a Kentucky KM505. (The mandolin store has it at $399 shipped) Istead of the low $200 range I am going to stay in the $300 to $400 range. Thanks for all the advice. "Still looking"lol

Tim2723
Aug-18-2007, 8:32pm
You're going in the right direction now, Steve!

Roydw3
Aug-18-2007, 8:54pm
I second the comments by Tim. Better choice. You can find you a good used mandolin in that range, a mid mo, an Eastman A, or you can go with the Kentucky. There are much more and much better options. Enjoy and good luck on the hunt.

Denny

steve617
Aug-18-2007, 9:10pm
Thanks
I have thought used. I just dont wont to get burnt. I can play some I just have not played that many different mandolins to know what to look for or if something is wrong with one. It's funny living here in East Tennessee I grew up leaning a little bluegrass on bass. I am not that big of a bluegrass fan I like it but I like the mandolin in other styles of music such old Jazz stuff, hornpipes. Jetro Burns stuff. (of course who don't like Jethro) any way just did not know if the styles make that much different on the mandolin. Thanks for all the advice it is well taken.

Tim2723
Aug-18-2007, 9:43pm
Steve, I also applaud your choice to go with a new instrument. Personally, while there's a lot of good used stuff out there, everybody else always seems to make a better deal than I do. I just have rotten luck.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-19-2007, 8:19am
Gonna be hard to find a decent mando in that price range. b

jim_n_virginia
Aug-19-2007, 8:28am
Gonna be hard to find a decent mando in that price range. But there are some out there. Before I bought the mando I would first find a good Luthier who will set it up (adjust action, neck, bridge, ck to see if frets are level etc.) and put that money aside (including shipping if need be) because if you by a Saga, Rover etc. it most likely just slapped together and shipped to the US.

The best I think would be to by from a shop that sets up before they sell like Gianna Violin.

I wish someone had told me about setting up a mandolin when I bought my first one which was a cheap plywood Rover out of a Pawn Shop for $160.00. I thought it sounded OK and I learned the basics on in. It was a little hard to play but I kept it about 6 months before I traded up for a Mid Mo.

When I got the Mid Mo with one strum I almost fell over it was so much nicer than that old Rover. I didn't know the Rover was set up wrong because I had never played a nice mandolin! The only good thing out of that was that the Rover's action was about 1/2 off the fretboard at the 12th fret and it made my fingers so tough I coulda poked holes in the plaster walls with them! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Andrew Faltesek
Aug-19-2007, 9:55am
Unless you are really hot on getting a mando right away, you may consider building up the cash reserve for a while and keep trying out instruments at the stores, used, and search around online. I agree with Loren Bailey; the Mandolin Store website is well worth checking periodically for an instrument that fits your quality/price point. Just don't sell yourself short on quality or sound for the sake of time. When you do get your mandolin, order a leather strap from Loren; I get as many compliments on his strap as I do on my mando!

Roydw3
Aug-19-2007, 12:31pm
Seriously, if you are willing to make it about $600 or so, you can get a Glenn student model. I just took delivery on my Custom F-5 and it is just amazing. I can't get over how great it is for the value. Others who have bought the student model rave about them. If you are willing to spend more, wait a little longer and get a good Glenn.

you will be glad you did

Denny

steve617
Aug-19-2007, 12:31pm
Here is the latest. Right now my plans is to save for a Kentucky 505. However on a side note I play bass in a praise band at church and a lady that sings is bringing me later today her husbands mandolin. One of the guys in the band says its a Gibson. Her husband never learned anything on it. She says I can keep it as long as I want to play it. Gibson to good to be true. I will let you all know when I recieve it.

Steve

steve617
Aug-19-2007, 8:54pm
I got the loaner Gibson. It was actually a epiphone MM-30vs, (not really a Gibson)Sounds decent probably has the original strings. Anyway it will do untill I can get something better.