PDA

View Full Version : Am i crazy to give up a flatiron a5 -artist

Glennly
Aug-16-2007, 1:37pm
Okay, here it is. I'm a lefty (weak intermediate) with scroll envy. I have a lefty Flatiron A5-Artist from the mid-90's (Signed by Bruce Weber) which I like very much.

I have an opportunity to get an Eastman Lefty 815 at a good price, but it still would be a strain for me to blow the cash.

So, two questions. First, what do people generally think of Eastmans and, second, is it crazy for me to consider losing the Flatiron in exchange?

Thanks for your advice.

Greg H.
Aug-16-2007, 1:45pm
This is just IMHO, but to answer your second question, 'Yes'. I would advise waiting and saving so you're going to a Flatiron/Gibson/Weber. . . rather than the Eastman. I don't think that Eastmans are bad, but my experience is in that price range you're better off with an American A than an Eastman F.

Walter Newton
Aug-16-2007, 1:47pm
Yes...unless you play them both side by side and prefer the Eastman.

Welcome to the Cafe!

ab4usa
Aug-16-2007, 1:49pm
Glenn,

Fellow lefty here also with MAS. I think you will be giving up a lot if you sell the Flatiron. I like my mandolins built by someone who plays them (or a spouse of one who plays them). That Said, I know where there is a lefty 815 for less than $1300.

JHo
Aug-16-2007, 1:52pm
I'm very content with my varnished Eastman 615. However as you already have a Flatiron, I don't think the Eastman will be a step up, aside from the addition of a scroll. If it were me, I'd probably keep the Flatiron unless the scroll envy is really just too much to bear. I do have an F style personally, but when I take that next step up, I think I may well go the A style route. I love the look of the scroll and the points, but they are expensive. And bear in mind that an 815 may cost more than a 615 or 515, but may well not sound any better. I think Eastman's strong point is really their 5xx and 6xx series instruments, as once you get up to an 8xx or 9xx, there are a lot of other instruments (new and used) in the same price range to consider.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-16-2007, 1:53pm
As much as I love scrolls I wouldn't make that switch.

Mace
Aug-16-2007, 1:56pm
I've had three quality F's, a Tope, Flatiron and a Smith Creek. Also a wonderful Tucker A. The one mandolin that I've kept has been a Givens A. Unless you can afford to keep them all, hold on to your Flatiron. After all its the top of the line A style from a great builder. When the dust settles and all the tunes get played you might just find its your keeper. I must admitt I miss the others but then again I might just need to try a .....there are simply too many wonderful mandolins out there.

cooper4205
Aug-16-2007, 2:04pm
I have an Eastman 515 and a Flatiron A5. In my case, the 515 doesn't compare to the Flatiron, even though the Eastman is a good mandolin. If I had to get rid of one, it'd definitely be the Eastman. Like the previous posts say keep the Flatiron until you have the money for something like a Gibson/Collings/Weber/Custom build and you'll be a lot happier.

There are some good Eastmans, so it you might want to play it to be sure; but your Flatiron is worth more than the Eastman is and will hold it value better.

Glennly
Aug-16-2007, 2:05pm
Thanks, all. I'll definitely keep the Flatiron, and maybe hit up a convenience store should I decide to give the other one a shot. And thanks, Alan, for the word. What prompted this whole thing is that I found one at a significantly lower price than most of the others advertised as well.

bradeinhorn
Aug-16-2007, 2:09pm
not that you need to hear it again, but i echo what these guys are saying. it will be a downgrade almost for certain. tone envy is way worse than scroll envy.

tnpathfinder
Aug-16-2007, 2:11pm
Hang on to the Flatiron.

Ken Berner
Aug-16-2007, 2:17pm
Without ever hearing your Flatiron, but owning an F5 Artist and an A5 Artist, and having heard Eastmans (new and played-in) I feel semi-qualified to answer your question. No Eastman that I have heard yet, had the tonal character of either of my Flatirons. I am in agreement with those above posts advising you to keep your Flatiron if it suits your ears. Many "F" style mandolins available cannot take the place of your Flatiron A5 Artist

mandopete
Aug-16-2007, 2:53pm
Hang on to the Flatiron.
Ditto.

John Hill
Aug-16-2007, 2:55pm
I had an A5 Artist and I agree others who say keep it. Plus you'd be surprised how difficult it is to sell a non-Collings/Gibson A style mandolin on the open market, let alone a lefty A style. I couldn't get rid of my A5 so I ended up trading it for another instrument.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-16-2007, 3:01pm
I'm gonna guess that if that Flatiron Artist lefty hit the classifieds here it would be gone in minutes.

John Hill
Aug-16-2007, 3:08pm
I'm gonna guess that if that Flatiron Artist lefty hit the classifieds here it would be gone in minutes.
You'd think so, and I did before trying to sell it (unless you're a lefty and are ready to pounce on it) but that wasn't my experience and it was a nice mando.

Of course it depends on how much money he needs to get out of it.

Glennly
Aug-16-2007, 3:11pm
Well, nevertheless, you've all convinced me NOT to give it up, so y'all can't have it!

John Hill
Aug-16-2007, 3:17pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mythicfish
Aug-16-2007, 3:33pm
Since you don't appreciate the Flatiron, sell it to someone who can.
Don't make things more complicate than they have to be ... we're talkin' about mandolins, not cancer.

Curt

KNP String Band Mando
Aug-16-2007, 3:34pm
I wouldnt trade An american Flatiron for an Import...Unless the import was from Australia and was a Gil.

Lane Pryce
Aug-16-2007, 3:49pm
Is it just a scroll thing? I'm sure the Flatty is a superior mandolin ----- you know the apples and oranges thing. I would suggest having your A5 set up to your specifications; strings,sting height,new nut and string spacing and maybe some bridge work as well. You will wonder why you ever considered selling it ----- and you'll be glad you didn't. Lp

red7flag
Aug-16-2007, 4:10pm
I am a scroll fool. All but one of mine, the Lebeda, are F models. I am familiar with both Flatirons and Eastmans. Personally, you have something in the Flatiron in terms of tone that you could only hope for from the Eastman. I have played some nice sounding Eastmans, but none were in the sound category of an old Flatiron. In the long run, I think you would really regret getting rid of the Flatiron. You will never really outgrow that instrument. I would keep it and save up for a custom lefty F5 made for you. Just my take.
Tony

mrmando
Aug-16-2007, 4:15pm
Aside from tonal considerations, a Montana Flatiron is only going to increase in value, whereas the Eastman will depreciate unless they stop making so darn many of them.

pager
Aug-16-2007, 5:39pm
Aside from tonal considerations, a Montana Flatiron is only going to increase in value, whereas the Eastman will depreciate unless they stop making so darn many of them.

Eastman is a very small shop. #Eastman only makes about 500 mandolins a year. #I don't think that qualifies as 'darn many'. #They really are unique for a Pacrim company in their small production standards. #They are not a big company by any means.
#
Now for my two cents worth, I agree with everyone else. #As much as I love my Eastman, and I do play it more than my Gibson F9, I too would keep the Flatiron. #Those were great mandolins.

soapycows
Aug-16-2007, 5:47pm
DON'T DO IT!!!

J.Fick
Aug-16-2007, 6:18pm
Eastmans are nice BUT not as nice or special as your Flatiron. After the scroll envy wears off you will probably kick yourself for loosing it. This of course is not taking into consideration how these instruments sound or feel to you while being played. The worst thing that could happen is you trade an exceptional mando for a lesser quality one and this impacts you desire to play.
IMHO keep the Flatiron and don't sweat the scroll.

mrmando
Aug-16-2007, 7:15pm
Eastman is a very small shop. Eastman only makes about 500 mandolins a year. I don't think that qualifies as 'darn many'. They really are unique for a Pacrim company in their small production standards. They are not a big company by any means.
Good to know. They do seem to be readily available, though, which is really the point. The price for a used one won't go up until we run out of new ones, which would still be true no matter how many they were making.

Of course this means Eastman production is ahead of Montana Flatiron production by 500 instruments a year. I wonder what Flatiron's annual production was back in the day?

Jim Garber
Aug-16-2007, 9:41pm
Scrolls are overrated. None of my bowlbacks have them. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Serially, tho, I bought one of the early A5-2 (precursor to the A5-Artist) and it is a powerhouse of a mandolin with a great bluegrass sound. It is one of the last mandolins of mine I would ever sell.

Jim

jessboo
Aug-16-2007, 11:03pm
keep the flattie! save your money and buy the eastman if you like it. a lady here showed up to our monthly jam with her new 515 when she first got it. she handed it to me for about ten minutes then said i didn't know it could sound like that. she's still looking for the same a mount of sound i got out of it after two years of playing it. i use a real heavy right hand she doesn't. still her 515 doesn't sound has good as my nashville performer A model.

Richard Russell
Aug-16-2007, 11:30pm
Keep the Flatiron. Much better instrument.

Bill Van Liere
Aug-17-2007, 7:28am
Soundwise I am hard pressed to believe that the Eastman will do anything better than the Flatiron. Not sure in your case if it is just a lack of scroll thing but if you are not happy with the Flat, consider having it checked out by a good setup person.

Kevin Briggs
Aug-17-2007, 7:59am
That Flatiron A5 Artist is a nice mandolin, if it's anything like the Flatirons I've played form the Montana era. That said, I'm with the folks who have had hot and cold experiences with Eastmans.

Let me tell you a story:

I started out as a guitar player, and am probably still most at home on an electric guitar, although I love the mandolin ten times as much (electric guitar is too dang easy to play!). I acquired a really nice new USA Fender Stratocaster while in high school, and I was set. I don't mind saying that I stumbled into some substance abuse problems in my very early 20s, and I decided I didn't need a nice guitar like that, because I could get some money for it, buy a cheapo, and use a few hundred dollars for other things. I was a moron! I ended up with an Alvarez electric guitar that sounded okay in the store, but that never stayed in tune as soon as I took it home. As soon as I recovered my brain after a few years of being in a fog, I realized the mistake. I wish I still had that instrument. I wasn't as bad off as some of my friends who became casualties of their youth, but I was one of their peers for a while. I was lucky enough to find my way out of that incredibly powerful, stressful, horribly gloomy culture.

You sound like you have a clear head, so I urge you to make the smart choice. Try to save $20 a week for one year, and then you'll be in a good spot to make a purchase. Better yet, save $30 a week for two years. Then you'll be able to get something really nice!

JeffD
Aug-17-2007, 8:50am
I agree with what folks are saying - but I have to admit I have some sympathy with Curt's position. There is no point in owning things that are a lot better than you want or need. Only you can decide where that line is. If I found a Loar under my bed (and I check every morning) I would sell it immediately, (well after a few days), and quench my MAS on a bunch of admitadly lesser instruments whose qualities I can more readily discern and appreciate.

Just a thought.

Actually - keep the flatiron and get the eastman. I mean two mandolins are better than one!