PDA

View Full Version : Ibma nominations live

chirorehab
Aug-16-2007, 9:47am
On XM channel 14 right now.... 10:45 EST...

bradeinhorn
Aug-16-2007, 2:19pm
THE 2007 INTERNATIONAL BLUEGRASS MUSIC AWARDS

Bluegrass Hall of Fame Inductees

Carl Story
Howard Watts (Cedric Rainwater)
Distinguished Achievement Award Recipients

Mike Auldridge
The Bluegrass Breakdown
Marko Cermak
Warren Hellman
Happy & Jane Traum
THE NOMINEES:

ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
Cherryholmes
The Grascals
Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
The Del McCoury Band
Rhonda Vincent & the Rage
VOCAL GROUP OF THE YEAR
Blue Highway
The Isaacs
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
Rhonda Vincent & The Rage
INSTRUMENTAL GROUP OF THE YEAR
Blue Highway
Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper featuring Audie Blaylock
The Del McCoury Band
Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder
MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
Ronnie Bowman
Russell Moore
Tim O'Brien
Larry Sparks
Bradley Walker
FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
Dale Ann Bradley
Sonya Isaacs
Alison Krauss
Claire Lynch
Rhonda Vincent
SONG OF THE YEAR
"All American Bluegrass Girl," Rhonda Vincent (artist), Rhonda Vincent (songwriter)
"Fork In The Road," The Infamous Stringdusters (artists), Chris Jones & John Pennell (songwriters)
"Lefty's Old Guitar," J.D. Crowe & The New South (artists), Dave Maggard & Jack Spencer (songwriters)
"Sadie's Got Her New Dress On," Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver (artists), Connie Leigh (songwriter)
"The Last Suit You Wear;" Larry Sparks (artist); Larry Shell, Larry Williams & Kim Williams (songwriters)
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
All American Bluegrass Girl, Rhonda Vincent (artist), Rounder Records, Darrin Vincent & Rhonda Vincent (producers)
Fork In The Road, The Infamous Stringdusters (artists), Sugar Hill Records, Tim Stafford & The Infamous Stringdusters (producers)
Lefty's Old Guitar, J.D. Crowe & The New South (artists), Rounder Records, J.D. Crowe & The New South (producers)
More Behind The Picture Than The Wall, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver (artists), Rounder Records, Doyle Lawson (producer)
The Last Suit You Wear, Larry Sparks (artist), McCoury Music, Don Rigsby & Larry Sparks (producers)
RECORDED EVENT OF THE YEAR
Vassar Clements, Tony Rice & The Low Country All Star Band
Double Banjo Bluegrass Spectacular;
New Songs, Old Friends; Jerry Salley
Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby
Wow Baby; Hunter Berry
INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Acoustic Rising, Mark Johnson & Emory Lester (artists), Mountain Home, Mark Johnson & Emory Lester (producers)
Double Banjo Bluegrass Spectacular; Tony Trischka (artist); Rounder Records; Tony Trischka, Bela Fleck & Ronnie Freeland (producers)
Instrumentals, Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder (artists), Skaggs Family Records, Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder (producers)
No Apologies, Jim VanCleve (artist), Rural Rhythm Records, Jim VanCleve (producer)
Wow Baby, Hunter Berry (artist), Upper Mgt Music, Darrin Vincent (producer)
GOSPEL RECORDED PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR
"Did You Forget God Today," The Grascals (artists), Rounder Records, The Grascals (producers)
"He Lives In Me," Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver (artists), Horizon, Doyle Lawson (producer)
"Tell Someone, Kenny & Amanda Smith Band (artist), Rebel Records, Kenny & Amanda Smith Band (producers)
"The Promised Land, The Del McCoury Band (artist), McCoury Music, Del McCoury & Ronnie McCoury (producers)
"We Shall Inherit," Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver (artists), Horizon, Doyle Lawson (producer)
EMERGING ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Cadillac Sky
Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper featuring Audie Blaylock
The Infamous Stringdusters
Bradley Walker
Williams & Clark Expedition
INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMERS OF THE YEAR
BANJO
Cia Cherryholmes
J.D. Crowe
Jim Mills
Sammy Shelor
Tony Trischka
BASS
Barry Bales
Mike Bub
Mickey Harris
Missy Raines
Marshall Wilborn
FIDDLE
Hunter Berry
Michael Cleveland
Stuart Duncan
Ron Stewart
Jim VanCleve
DOBRO
Mike Auldridge
Jerry Douglas
Rob Ickes
Randy Kohrs
Phil Leadbetter
GUITAR
Jim Hurst
Tony Rice
Kenny Smith
Larry Sparks
Bryan Sutton
MANDOLIN
Sam Bush
Doyle Lawson
Ronnie McCoury
Adam Steffey
Chris Thile
Bluegrass Broadcaster of the Year:
Kyle Cantrell, XM Satellite Radio
Chris Jones, Sirius Satellite Radio
Ned Luberecki, Sirius Satellite Radio
Print Media Person of the Year:
Aaron Keith Harris; National Review Online, Baltimore Examiner News, Lonesome River Review Blog
John Lawless & Brance Gillihan, The Bluegrass Blog
Chris Stuart, Bluegrass Unlimited
Best Liner Notes for a Recorded Project:
Barry Poss & Jay Orr; Sugar Hill Records, A Retrospective; Various Artists; Sugar Hill
Peter K. Siegel, John Cohen & Jody Stecher; Friends of Old Time Music, The Folk Arrival 1961-1965; Various Artists; Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
Gary Reid; Don Reno & Red Smiley and the Tennessee Cut-Ups, 1959-1963; Gusto
Best Graphic Design for a Recorded Project:
Don Bailey, Hillbilly Hemingway, The Mark Newton Band, Rebel Records
Sue Meyer; Sugar Hill Records, A Retrospective; Various Artists; Sugar Hill Records
Visual Dialogue; Friends of Old Time Music, The Folk Arrival 1961-1965; Various Artists; Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
Bluegrass Event of the Year Award:
33rd Festival of the Bluegrass; Lexington, KY; June 2006
The Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival; Ancramdale, NY; July 2006
Pickin' in the Sticks: The 27th Annual Minnesota Bluegrass & Old-Time Music Festival;
El Rancho Manana Campground; St. Cloud, MN; August 2006

bradeinhorn
Aug-16-2007, 2:22pm
There you have it...

So skaggs/hornsby wasn't ignored...

I feel as though the how to grow a band (tensions mountain boys) was ignored though. i bet this coming year will be big for them. i hope thile wins mando player. he has impressed me very much this year and i think it should be recognized.

it would also be nice to see some new vocalists, especially the younger female ones in those categories like aoife and the gals from the biscuit burners. and speaking of them - where was billy cardine in the dobro category - or andy hall??? Surprised not to see him there with so much String Dusters recognition.

it is sad to me that there still seems to be fear from ibma to recognize these younger stars seemingly because their groups seem to stretch the boundaries of Bluegrass. I mean-how about noam pikelny in the banjo category???

B

mandopete
Aug-16-2007, 2:46pm
Same mandolin pickers as last year. It's just too dang bad that no one else has decided to take up bluegrass mandolin but these 5 people <GRR>

Why isn't John Reischman on this list?

45ACP-GDLF5
Aug-16-2007, 3:06pm
It's past time for Doyle Lawson to win Mandolin Player of the Year! Everyone else on the list has won before. Sam Bush won the first 2 years. Ronnie McCoury won from 93-2000. Thile won one. Steffey has won since 2002.

bradeinhorn
Aug-16-2007, 3:54pm
man, i love doyle's style too. wonder who will replace jaime! i hope they win entertainer.

i just think thile is so impressive and really made a nice conscious return to traditional sounding playing this year.

Leevon DeCourley
Aug-17-2007, 12:17am
I seen Doyle at the Starvey Creek Bluegrass Festival and he had Jamie"s replacement playing with him as well as Jamie. I can't think of his name right now. Jamie came back stage and set out a couple and they sounded pretty good to me. They say it is very hard to work for Doyle because he can play any instrument. I guess thats why his sound does not change with new band members.
Oh I also cought pieces of the XM broadcast.

45ACP-GDLF5
Aug-17-2007, 1:54am
Darren Beachley will be playing guitar when Jamie leaves which will be next week. The "new" guy is Carl White from VA. He is already touring with Doyle. He is on bass guitar. Joey Cox on banjo and Alan Johnson on fiddle. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

AlanN
Aug-17-2007, 6:53am
Song of the year

"Sadie's Got Her New Dress On," Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver (artists), Connie Leigh (songwriter)

It's fine tune, they do a fine job on it, but c'mon, it sounds, looks and feels like a million other [fine, they do a fine job on it] type tunes.

But hey, it's bluegrass, and it all sounds alike anyway http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MikeEdgerton
Aug-17-2007, 7:46am
It's fine tune, they do a fine job on it, but c'mon, it sounds, looks and feels like a million other [fine, they do a fine job on it] type tunes.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bradeinhorn
Aug-17-2007, 8:02am
my vote on that one is for the string duster's fork in the road. that is a great song with smoking breaks, great singing, and a real drive to it. check out a live version on their myspace page if you haven't heard it: fork in the road (http://www.myspace.com/stringdusters)

sgarrity
Aug-17-2007, 9:38am
I'm probably putting my foot in my mouth here, but I kinda think that the IBMA awards are a joke. I mean McCoury and Steffey have won 13 of the last 14 years?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif Come on! Nothing against those guys at all. I love their playing. But I just don't think that the IBMA awards hold much value.

bradeinhorn
Aug-17-2007, 9:45am
yeah - there is no doubt where this thread was going from the initial post----i think we may have set a record of 10 responses before the phrase "ibma awards are a joke" was used:) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

sgarrity
Aug-17-2007, 9:48am
You're probably right Brad. I think we do this every year! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

bradeinhorn
Aug-17-2007, 9:54am
Maybe we should do i a little ibma awards poll to mix it up.

mandopete
Aug-17-2007, 10:41am
Yeah, it is kind of a joke and I think that's sort of a shame. #It really doesn't help to validate the IBMA as an organization, but then it's really no different than any other awards organization. #The only category that I think is valid is the emerging artist category although they're sometimes pretty late in recognizing "emerging artists". #My vote there would go The Infamous Stringdusters. #I still stand by my vote for John Reischman for mandolin player of the year.

sgarrity
Aug-17-2007, 10:54am
It does astound me that neither Reischman nor Compton have won. They are both masters of the instrument. Compton has done OBWAT, 20 Year Bluesand Stomp over the last few years. And Reischman has done 3 (i think) excellent recordings with his band the Jaybirds. They definitely deserve some recognition.

mandopete
Aug-17-2007, 11:09am
Reischman has done 3 (i think) excellent recordings with his band the Jaybirds. #
That's what I'm talking about!

mrmando
Aug-17-2007, 6:20pm
Do you think there's a regional bias? Closer you live to Nashville, the better your chances of getting an IBMA award?

I'll miss Jamie with Quicksilver. I really thought he was something special. But I think Doyle, like Bill Monroe, has the ability to "make" a musician ... he seems to put his stamp on the young guys who pass through his group.

mandoplyr70
Aug-18-2007, 8:46am
I think we ought to start a peoples choice award I didnt see Mike compton mentioned ? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Enigmatic Recluse
Aug-18-2007, 11:12am
If it's any consolation, awards like this are generally joke, big-time, small-time or in between. It's not a contest.

mandopete
Aug-19-2007, 11:01am
Do you think there's a regional bias? Closer you live to Nashville, the better your chances of getting an IBMA award?
...then they should change the name of the organization to NBMA!

bradeinhorn
Aug-19-2007, 11:39am
infortunately you might be onto something with NBMA...:(

chirorehab
Aug-19-2007, 9:56pm
Maybe we need the Mandolin Cafe Awards...

JeffS
Aug-19-2007, 10:33pm
Maybe we need the Mandolin Cafe Awards...
It would be worse than IBMA because Bill Monroe would always win.

kyblue
Aug-20-2007, 7:15am
Do you think there's a regional bias?

Skeptical. #

With all due respect, I've never heard John R. & the Jaybirds (heard of them via the cafe, just haven't heard them.) #Never have known them to play around here, never have heard them on a national broadcast (I have XM radio and have heard quite a few bands I hadn't heard before since I had it. Had Sirius previously.) #I've been to IBMA World of Bluegrass for the past 2 years and haven't seen this group.

This is a business, people need to get their music out to a national audience if they don't want to be considered a 'regional' band.

Paula

AlanN
Aug-20-2007, 7:30am
John Reischman is well-known and made his mark decades ago. His current band is only the latest for him - Tony Rice Unit, Good Ol' Persons, Laurie Lewis, John Miller, several solo efforts, the list is long.

kyblue
Aug-20-2007, 8:52am
Alan,

I understand that. But, I've only been interested in bluegrass for the past 2-3 years. How is someone like me supposed to know him if his current music isn't getting out to a national audience?

And, although I think awards like this are pretty worthless, I don't think they should go for artists past accomplishments.

Paula

AlanN
Aug-20-2007, 9:36am
One would hope that the awards chiefs would employ a horizon longer than 2-3 years, particularly so if the breadth of an artist's reach is wide, deep and current, as is JR's. The poster who brought him up opined of the fact that he has never been nominated for Best Mandolin. I agree, he is one of the greats.

Paula,

I know what you're saying. In this day and age, if it ain't in front of your nose, it ain't there at all.

kyblue
Aug-20-2007, 9:43am
On the other hand, seems like once an artist gets 'on the list' with the ibma awards, they don't drop out (at least if they still are putting out new material.) I wonder how top shelf new guys like Jesse Cobb, Andy Hall ever break into the circle. But, Cia C. managed to do it pretty quickly, so seems it is possible.

I do think a presence at IBMA/WOB is important, with a performance on main stage, showcase, or even off site somewhere like the Station Inn.

Paula

mandopete
Aug-20-2007, 1:04pm
From John Reischman's website - I would hardly characterize The Jaybirds (or Reischman for that matter) as a "regional" band...

On Tour with The Jaybirds in 2007

Thursday, August 16
Rawlins, Wyoming
Music in the Park
Washington Park
Info: 307-324-PLAY - www.rawlins-wyoming.com

Friday, August 17th and Saturday, August 18th
Worland, Wyoming
BBQ and Bluegrass Festival
Info: www.worlandchamber.com

Saturday, August 18th
Billings, MT
Cisel Hall, MSU Campus
Yellowstone Bluegrass Society
Info: 406-652-2660 or www.yellowstonebluegrass.org

Monday, August 20th
Helena, MT
Myrna Loy Center for the Performing and Media Arts
Info: www.myrnaloycenter.com

Friday, August 24th
San Luis Obispo, CA
Steynberg Gallery
805 547 0278 - www.steynberggallery.com
805-546-2857 or 805-434-0082 - www.cambriahoot.com

Saturday, August 25th
Culver City, CA
Boulevard Music
Info: www.boulevardmusic.com

Sunday, August 26th
San Diego, CA
Summergrass
Info: www.summergrass.net

Friday, August 31st & Saturday, Sept 1st
Woodstown, New Jersey
Delaware Valley Bluegrass Festival
Salem County Fair Grounds
Info: www.brandywinefriends.org

Thursday, September 13th
Winnemucca, NV
Martin Hotel
775-623-3197 - Great Basin Arts and Entertainment
775-623-1064 - www.gbae.org

Saturday, September 15th & Sunday September 16th
Bishop, CA
Millpond Music Festival
760 873 8014 - www.inyo.org/millpond

Monday, October 1st & Tuesday, October 2nd
Nashville, TN
IBMA World of Bluegrass Showcase
1-888-438-4262 - www.ibma.org

Thursday, October 4th
Fernie, BC
The Arts Station
250-423-4842 - www.theartsstation.com

Friday, October 5th
Cranbrook BC
Royal Alexandra Hall
Info: 250-421-1550 - www.wiensmandolins.com

Saturday, October 6th
Nelson, BC
Capitol Theatre
250-352-6363 - www.capitoltheatre.bc.ca
www.kootenaycoopradio.com

Friday, October 12th
Victoria BC
St Andrews Presbyterian Church
Info: 250-598-6677 - www.mountainjubilee.com

Saturday, October 13th
Saturna Island, BC
Saturna Arts and Concert Society
Info: www.saturnacan.net

Monday, October 15th
Salt Spring Island, BC
Salt Spring Folk Club
www.saltspringfolkclub.ca

mandopete
Aug-20-2007, 1:08pm
And, although I think awards like this are pretty worthless, I don't think they should go for artists past accomplishments.
John just released Stellar Jays earlier this year. #I think he has created not only a unique sound within the bluegrass genre, but his mandolin playing in unequaled IMHO. #He is not as flashy as players like Chris Thile or Sam Bush and I think this may account for why he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

I ain't changing my vote!

kyblue
Aug-20-2007, 2:47pm
I ain't changing my vote!

No one expected you to, Pete! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

And, I notice they'll be at IBMA, but only Monday & Tuesday so I'll miss them again, darn it. I'm going down there on Wednesday.

Paula

Uath
Aug-21-2007, 11:08am
I was very pleased (and surprised) to hear Mark Johnson and Emory lester get nominated. Johnson has the most unique banjo sound I've heard in awhile. I'm also a banjo player and when I hear Mark Johnson come in, I immediately know it's him. What an enormous talent. I don't think they'll win, but they're certainly no cookie-cutter mechanical musicians playing the same old licks over and over. IMHO innovation and heart beat technical and mechanical every time.

mandopete
Aug-21-2007, 11:42am
IMHO innovation and heart beat technical and mechanical every time.
That's why I voted for John Reischman in the first place.

Mark Johnson is an enormous talent!