PDA

View Full Version : Nashville bluegrass band

DryBones
Aug-15-2007, 9:09pm
what's your favorite with Mike and with Roland? got some iTunes gift cards for my B'day and need to burn them up! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

edit: already own 20 year blues http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve Cantrell
Aug-15-2007, 9:17pm
20 Year Blues with Mike is an awesome CD. Not as familiar with the CDs featuring Roland.

mandomafioso
Aug-15-2007, 9:19pm
You can't go wrong with NBB. Seriously.

re simmers
Aug-15-2007, 9:21pm
They are all good. I guess my personal favorite is Home of The Blues with Blue Train as my favorite tune. You can't go wrong with any of their stuff. Roland and Mike are both great.

DryBones
Aug-15-2007, 9:22pm
Just found a best of the Sugar Hill Years collection. think this will cover it?

JimRichter
Aug-15-2007, 9:41pm
Idle Time
To Be His Child--in my opinion, one of the greatest gospel albums period

Jim

Mike Bunting
Aug-16-2007, 1:10am
I can only echo Jim's assessment.

JimRichter
Aug-16-2007, 7:00am
I can only echo Jim's assessment.
Gee, Mike, if only there were more of you in the world. I'd feel happy and secure.

I truly do like the Roland years on Sugar Hill, and some of them like Waiting for the Hard Times are great albums.

And, 20 Year Blues is a 1st class album. In fact, it should be called "The Nashville Bluegrass Band featuring Mike Compton" since that album has his stamp all over it.

Problem with 20 Year Blues is that the angelic voice of Alan O'Bryant is distinctly absent. To me, the NBB sound is based around that voice. He doesn't have it anymore and the band is definitely a different band.

My Native Home (later Idle Time) and To Be His Child introduced the NBB to the bluegrass world. Born out of Butch Robins' The Bluegrass Band (w/ Alan on lead vocals), the classic line-up of the NBB (sans Stuart Duncan) was a force of nature. Can you imagine what Stuart added to this mix--an untouchable band.

In my opinion those first two albums are in my essential 50 bluegrass albums and definitely show a band at its stride.

Jim

AlanN
Aug-16-2007, 7:53am
An important band, for sure. I never cared much for Pat Enright's vocals, but that is just me.

mingusb1
Aug-16-2007, 8:28am
I love Pat's singing. I guess it's that old timey (or however you would call it) sort of sound that gets me.

Z

sgarrity
Aug-16-2007, 8:57am
I love Pat's singing too. But on 20 Year Blues you can definitely tell his voice has aged.

Tom C
Aug-16-2007, 10:57am
I agree with Jim.

Fretbear
Aug-16-2007, 11:22am
"My Native Home" is a fine album, very lonesome and sad. Mike's mandolin playing is haunting.

Wesley
Aug-16-2007, 12:05pm
20 Year Blues was my introduction to the band so it remains my favorite.

mandopete
Aug-16-2007, 12:10pm
I would have to vote for Unleashed - great recording produced by Jerry Douglas

JimRichter
Aug-16-2007, 3:13pm
I would have to vote for Unleashed - great recording produced by Jerry Douglas
Unleashed is a great album. Isn't that the one with the instrumental "Dog Loves Bacon"

Jim

mandopete
Aug-16-2007, 6:17pm
Yeah, Dog Remembers Bacon - what a great title, eh?

My favorite track is Blackbirds and Crows.

sunburst
Aug-16-2007, 6:28pm
Though I'm not a huge Peter Rowan fan (a "Peter head" as I've heard them called), the Peter Rowan and the Nashville Bluegrass Band album is one of my favorites with a few songs that I really like.

mandopete
Aug-16-2007, 6:31pm
Is that the one with Trail Of Tears on it?

sunburst
Aug-16-2007, 7:37pm
Yep.

MWM
Aug-17-2007, 11:07am
Peter Rowan's NBB CD is one of my all time favorites too. It's called "New Moon Rising". Other NBB CD's I like include "To be his child" and "Twenty Year Blues". While I like MC's mando, I like Stuart Duncan's fiddle even more. It's hard to beat them together. Keep pickin' taterbug!