PDA

View Full Version : Surprise 2

lindensensei
May-24-2004, 4:07pm
Check out the top wood with this closeup of the bridge.
Sorry, guess I'm just enthusiastic.

Scotti Adams
May-24-2004, 6:33pm
..what are we looking at...have I missed something?...bizzare figure in the top..did I miss suprise #1http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?

Ken
May-24-2004, 6:43pm
I think what we're looking at here is perfectly quartersawn spruce with just about zero runout.

Ken.

Spruce
May-24-2004, 6:50pm
Nice pic!

Do we know the species of the wood??

Scotti Adams
May-24-2004, 6:52pm
..hey guys..I will leave the building to you..I just play 'em...I plead ignorance in the woods department..

Magnus Geijer
May-24-2004, 6:54pm
I'll bet anyone a quarter that it's Sitka.

/Magnus

Spruce
May-24-2004, 6:56pm
I've seen all the spruces display "spider-webbing" like that, but Sitka would be a good guess...

I wonder if I put a 30 X hand lens up to the computer screen.....

Charlie Derrington
May-24-2004, 8:11pm
Bingo !!

lindensensei
May-25-2004, 6:02am
The entire top is configured like this. I've never seen anything quite like it, but combinesd with the great flamed back it is a breathtaking instrument. With a sound to match. I wonder if the way the top is carved makes the sound so good?
Dan

Tom C
May-25-2004, 6:22am
I got it now looking at the other post. It's an F-9. Can we see the whole top?

mandoJeremy
May-25-2004, 6:22am
Whois the builder of the mandolin?

mandoJeremy
May-25-2004, 6:24am
I think you are right Tom C! Charlie and the guys used some excellent wood in that F-9!

Darryl Wolfe
May-25-2004, 9:54am
Having owned many old Martin Herringbones...I got to the point that I wouldn't buy one if the grain did not look like that. Every one with that grain pattern was an absolute killer cannon with no muddy overtones

Tom C
May-25-2004, 9:58am
Is that the same as bear-claw? Bear claw looks like the semi spider-webbing.
When I've sen the bear claw it is a small area which I do have it on my mando.
I've never seen an entire top like that. No vertical grain?

Spruce
May-25-2004, 10:30am
"Is that the same as bear-claw?"

No...

What you are looking at in the F9 pic is Sitka with very stong medulary rays that show up as "spider-webbing" or "silking" when cut on-quarter...

When this type of wood is split, it shows up as undulating curls when in the extreme--almost like curly maple.

Bearclaw is a genetic figuring in spruce (and other conifers) that shows up as "worms" across (or sometimes with) the grain.
The patterns that bearclaw can display are endless...
Sometimes it's little dimples, sometimes 20" long "worms"...

I love the stuff and seek it out...
Here's a pic....

handpicked
May-25-2004, 10:32am
The top on my A-9 is JUST like that F-9 of yours. Separated at birth, I suppose...Congratulations!

Magnus Geijer
May-26-2004, 7:42pm
I guess I should admit that the only reason I was so certain it was Sitka was that I couldn't see the color/finish be anything but an A9/F9. I do love the look of that though. My #1 has it nearly as strongly as this one, using Sitka from Orcas Island (http://www.rockisland.com/~tonewoods/) (Spruce). Sounds great too!

/Magnus