PDA

View Full Version : Enter music store--look around--what do you see

Treetopper
Aug-13-2007, 3:56pm
I walked into a music store here in Houston and the first thing that I see is a Long Haired, tatooted, earringed, snot nosed kid sitting behind the counter reading a magazine. I looked around the store for a few minutes and the kid made no effort to get up and ask if I needed anything. (By the way, the owner was in his office and had to hear what was going on in the store, he also made no effort to ask if I wanted or needed anything). Don't store owners realize that you came into their store for a reason. Am I alone in seeing this everytime I enter a music store or am I just a crabby old man? Needless to say, I left the store and will probably not go back. Is customer service dead? Don't owners or clerks raalize that when people come in to their establishmengts they have money to spend? Am I wrong??? (Not a mandolin in sight)

jefflester
Aug-13-2007, 4:01pm
Personally, I'd rather be left alone until I have a question.

MLT
Aug-13-2007, 4:10pm
I think that there is a happy medium between good customer service and being left to peruse to my heart's content. I don't necessarily think that someone should feel that they are "crabby" because they feel slighted by customer service. Is it all that hard to be recognized? A simple hello as recognition that I walked into the store goes a long way.

Fortunately up here (Portland OR/Vancouver WA) at the two music stores that I frequent (I can mention them by name if you would like) the most I never have that type of encounter. The sales people/owners are knowledgable musicians who treat every customer as if they spend $1000 a day in their stores. It is a pleasure to go in and browse, talk, play, and yes, sometimes even spend money.

sunburst
Aug-13-2007, 4:14pm
I am well acquainted with someone who runs a music store. There are nearly always at least two people working in the store, and when someone comes in, it is seldom long before someone asks "are you looking for anything in particular?" or "Can I help you find something?". Often, the answer is "I'm just looking." to which the store employee will say "OK, my name is XXXXX just let me know if there's anything I can help you with."
After that, the customer is left alone until he/she asks for help.

It's simple, really, to assess and respond to the needs of a customer, and there are stores that do it.

Buzz
Aug-13-2007, 4:17pm
I can understand Treetopper's point of view, but I lean toward Jeff's position. There's a store I go to only because it's convenient, and the guys there all act like they want to be your best pal. It drives me nuts. On the other hand, I like those guys around when I have a question.:cool:

des mando
Aug-13-2007, 4:18pm
as a retailer first responsibility is acknowledgement and the how can we help you line if you say just looking we believe you and let you, sadly the rule in hiring is that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys... good service and personel are tied to retail markup it costs a lot to keep the lights on and pay the overhead and be there to answer questions all the more reason to support stocking knowledgable local dealers

Ted Eschliman
Aug-13-2007, 4:21pm
"Long Haired, tatooted, earringed, snot nosed kids" can be bad for business, unless of course, you're selling to lots of long haired, tatooted, earringed, snot nosed kids with money. I like to shop at stores staffed with balding, pudgy, middle-aged guys that like dogs, drink decaffe latte's, listen to John Coltrane, and watch Monday Night football.

You know, staffed with "normal" people. Just like me...

12 fret
Aug-13-2007, 4:35pm
Recent experience. Went to Elderly's showroom in Lansing with the intention to but what was ( for me) a pretty expensive Martin guitar. Located the model I wanted and sat down and tried it out. Tried several others to compare. This was a weekday and there were a number of salespeople but none approached me directly. I wanted to try one other model that I didn't see on display so I went up to a salesperson to inquire. He checked the computer, called people and found someone had that instrument in their office. He went up, got it for me, handed it to me, and said "let me know if you need anything else". I played it for a while, made a decision, carried my selection up to the counter where they checked it out, gave me strings, got the case. I have noticed at dealers like Elderly, they leave you pretty much alone if you appear to know what you're looking for and remain ready to respond to any request you make. If you look bewildered or ask for help, they give it to you. In other words, they treat every customer as an indiviidual. No financial interest in Elderly ( I Wish!), just good service from them for 20+ years.

Pete Braccio
Aug-13-2007, 4:41pm
I walked into a music store here in Houston and the first thing that I see is a Long Haired, tatooted, earringed, snot nosed kid sitting behind the counter reading a magazine.

I wonder how much of this feeling you telegraphed when you walked into the place. The kid probably wrote you off as a lost cause before you even stepped through the door.

Got8Strings
Aug-13-2007, 4:48pm
I'm with 12fret. To me Elderly is a model for what a great music store should be. Great selection, lots out on the racks that anyone can pick up and play. Need something? Just ask and you get someone's full attention - and everyone there seems very knowledgeable. On weekends when the place is busy, jams break out spontaneously here and there in the store. The place just has a very welcoming atmosphere.

Lee
Aug-13-2007, 4:50pm
My local George's Music stores use the other extreme. As soon as I walk in, the guy working the floor comes from in back of the counter, asks my name, what do I play, what kind of music I like to play, am I in a band, etc., like he's trying to be my best friend, or pick me up for a date, and all this time with a big fake smile on his face.

JeffD
Aug-13-2007, 5:00pm
I walked into a music store here in Houston and the first thing that I see is a Long Haired, tatooted, earringed, snot nosed kid sitting behind the counter reading a magazine.
Its the business model of "too cool for school". There is a strata of guitar purchaser who wants dearly to be respected by someone cool, and the proprieter knows that playing hard to get will bring those types in, with open credit cards.

Luckily there are other music stores around, where I would prefer to shop. Having chosen mandolin I long ago gave up any hope of being repsected by someone cool.

Their entire mandolin section probably consists of what my friend calls "at most a bicycle", i.e. two Fenders.

Bruce Evans
Aug-13-2007, 5:04pm
I like to shop at stores staffed with balding, pudgy, middle-aged guys that like dogs, drink decaffe latte's, listen to John Coltrane, and watch Monday Night football.

Ted, if I can't come up with a job in engineering pretty soon, I'll be one of those guys, I'll let you know where I am working.

Yeah, Elderly Instrument's sales force is the model that every music store should follow. No financial interest, but a couple friends that work there. They're friends because they are great musicians and good people.

Jack Roberts
Aug-13-2007, 5:06pm
I walked into a store here in SoCal with my son and went back to the room where the LHTESNK (Long Haired etc.) was sitting in behind the counter with his feet up on the glass reading the mag. (Of course nowadays every third person is a LHTESNK here in SoCal.)

My son and the LHTESNK did some kind of bumping of their fists thing and started talking amps while I went up stairs to where the LHXHTDOG (long haired ex-hippie tie-dyed old guy) was selling mandolins and took a look-see at what he had. He and I jammed together for a while, and he showed me how to frail on an open backed banjo. When I was done I went back downstairs into one of the back rooms where the LHTESNK and my son were just about done picking out a used amp.

Overall it was a great experience. Went back a few weeks later and ended up buying a Martin OM-28V from a SHTEPTGC (short haired tatooed earringed pierced tongue goth chick) who was sitting behind the counter in the front room who really knew her stuff when it came to acoustic guitars (she sold an HD-28 to another old guy like myself at the same time she was helping me). I didn't bump fists with her, though.

Music stores around here don't have too many employees who look like they just came off the set of the Lawrence Welk show. Too bad, because I like that look.

jk245
Aug-13-2007, 5:10pm
For me it is best to be left alone until I have a question to ask.
PLEZ don't follow me around.

Brad Weiss
Aug-13-2007, 5:18pm
I'm kind of a wimp about this stuff, but I was once, recently scared off the purchase of a guitar by overly attentive service. I went in meaning to buy, but got too much attnention which made me self-conscious about what a lousy guitar player I am, and I backed out.

Ok, proably too much information here- but where is the cool store in SoCal streborkcaj? I'd love to find a good one here...

Pete Braccio
Aug-13-2007, 5:19pm
Wow, I finally found out I'm a LHXHTDOG! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

'Course. I've got an earring,tattoos, and a cold, so maybe I'm actually a LHTESNXHTDOG.

Pete

Jack Roberts
Aug-13-2007, 5:42pm
I'm kind of a wimp about this stuff, but I was once, recently scared off the purchase of a guitar by overly attentive service. I went in meaning to buy, but got too much attention which made me self-conscious about what a lousy guitar player I am, and I backed out.

Ok, proably too much information here- but where is the cool store in SoCal streborkcaj? I'd love to find a good one here...
That would be Buffalo Bros. Just one thing: If you want help, introduce yourself as they have a lot of people who just come in and want to be left alone. One more thing: If you are trying out mandolins, the LHXHTDOG will probably not hand you his best instruments (they aren't on the wall) at first. You don't have to be a good player to try them, because I am not, but I think he likes to see if you are going to scratch them up with your belt buckle or your picking style.

YMMV, NFI

SpazMan
Aug-13-2007, 5:42pm
I'm of the opinion-- as a Southerner-- that active customer service and good manners makes quite a difference as to whether I'll come back to a store a second time. There's a little store that I frequent, mostly because the owner-operator is relaxed but attentive-- he never puts you on the spot. There's a larger (and probably better) shop closer to downtown Hendersonville, but I never go there because the customer service SUCKS. Too many tatooed 20-somethings with dreadlocks.

mythicfish
Aug-13-2007, 5:44pm
Todays version of a music store is the last place I'd go for any acoustic instrument ... unless I was looking for a drum kit.

Curt

Chris Biorkman
Aug-13-2007, 6:34pm
Jack,

I live in Camarillo too. Small world.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-13-2007, 7:16pm
I'm with you Ted. The problem is most stores can't find any normal guys like us that know the entire Death Tongue catalog. Me, I appreciate the mix. One or two long-haired snot-nosed kids with piercings that can actually tell me which effect pedal I need to buy for my nephew so he'll sound just like Sebastian Bach and two very attractive middle-aged women that just really dig mandolin players to ask about everything else.

Fretbear
Aug-13-2007, 7:25pm
The only thing worse than encountering a (don't forget "cretinus") LHTESNK is actually having to talk to him...

allenhopkins
Aug-13-2007, 9:52pm
Two things going here: [1] appearance of the store employee; [2] behavior of the store employee. If a music store sells mostly electric guitars, amps, drums and keyboards to rock 'n' rollers, it's smart marketing to employ someone to whom the headbangers and shred artists feel they can relate. And honestly, you can't tell from a person's appearance what he knows about his inventory. He may be a whiz at moving those rock set-ups to teenagers determined to max out Mom's Visa card.

Ignoring a potential customer, however, is never good marketing. Even a cursory nod and a "how ya doin'?" establish the outline of a possible sales interaction. I know enough in a music store not to need someone to follow me around and attempt to establish friendship. An employee who acts as if he/she doesn't care whether you're there or not, is not doing his employer any favors.

I would try to avoid judging people solely by appearance. Music stores usually don't pay their sales staff a lot (I know from experience; I used to get $25 per diem selling instruments back in the '70's -- luckily, just an "extra" job where I was paid more in store discounts). Many of their employees are musicians who need a day job to help pay the bills, and who know a surprising amount about music and instruments, from personal experience. An 18-year-old "alt rock" bass player working in Armageddon Music somewhere may be fairly clueless regarding the fine points of Weber vs. Breedlove, but ask him about effects pedals or flatwound bass strings, and you may be pleasantly surprised by his breadth of knowledge.

delsbrother
Aug-13-2007, 9:56pm
Ah, I was guessing BB - who else has both an "in the back" and an "upstairs where they keep the mandos"!

I briefly thought about TrueTone Music in Santa Monica, though. They have a HUGE selection of interesting electrics in their "in the back" and some (but no great shakes) mandos in their "upstairs". One good thing about that place is the tiny rooms upstairs where they keep the high end guitars and the small collection of mandos... The rooms are so tiny there's only enough room for you and the instruments in there. Go in, close the door, and jam to your heart's content. The staff downstairs seemed helpful enough, but I've never haggled with them over anything, either. Now if there was just an easy place to park...

ps Don't remember any "goth chick" workers at BB, though. You mean real goth, or whatanoldguywouldconsider goth?

Timbofood
Aug-14-2007, 8:45am
Not to blow the Elderly horn too loudly but, They do "get it!" Leave the customer to their own devides until they get "the look" then, help and leave them alone unless they NEED something.
I worked at a store in Kalamazoo with a very similar approach ethic. Now and then a customer might come and have to play a hand of euchre before he could get his strings but, it was all in good fun and I don't remember anyone getting too upset about not being rushed. We had professionals, Parents with kids, students that were just cutting classes a pretty wide cross section of the community. I wish a store like that could survive now around here. I need a job!

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2007, 8:53am
Elderly's approach is the same as Mandolin Bros. I'm going to guess it's the same as most decent music stores. Let the instruments sell themselves. I don't need to see a used car salesman when I'm trying to buy a mandolin or guitar.... then again I don't need a used car salesman when I'm buying a used car either.

Treetopper
Aug-14-2007, 8:56am
It's me again. The real problem is that when I was in the store several weeks ago (I bought his last mandolin), the owner told me he was getting new stock in the following week. That is the reason I went in there to begin with. I asked the kid about the mandolins, he gave me a look like what the H___ is a mandolin. Remember the owner is in his office and can hear me ask. He never MOVED. I will purchase my next mandolin ONLINE, or someplace else other than his store.

AlanN
Aug-14-2007, 8:56am
I walked into crowded Manny's Music must be 15 years ago. I had my mandolin with me, wanted to try out a pickup on it.

A saleswoman helped me pick one out, hook it up, then sat back and watched. I played for a few moments, decided 'nah', unhooked it, handed it back, said thank you and left. She actually ran out onto the street, dogging me to buy it.

Aug-14-2007, 9:47am
If we search the web forums we'll probably find a topic started by a Long Haired, tatooted, earringed, snot nosed kid complaining about the crabby old man who came into the music store.

Elliot Luber
Aug-14-2007, 10:05am
Good help is hard to come by and even harder to afford in an age of online discounters though some retailers just don't get it themselves. In my experience as the former editor of an industry trade publication or six I would say that it varies greatly from day to day within the same store... though it tends to be worse at the larger chains where concerned owners are further removed from the customer satisfaction level. So this is more a test of store management than sales employees. If you find a store where you are well treated, go into the bathroom there and you'll see it sparkle. That's how the home office normally checks out how well the local stores are being managed.

entau
Aug-14-2007, 10:06am
the entire death tounge catalogue

Deamon drooler of the sewer
I'm a boinger
let's run over lionel ritchie with a tank

am I missing any ?

I thought they were just caving into the masses when they regrouped as "billy and the boingers" -
I think bill had to eventually put black electric tape on the end of his toungue - so audience members would focus on the music and not on the brand in use.
and of course as tradition calls- there was only "one bill" in that band

and it it true treetopper - you probably did send negative energy to that kid in the store - so he probably ignored you

Enigmatic Recluse
Aug-14-2007, 10:15am
I'm not excusing poor customer service, but while we are on the subject of judging a person by how they look, all I have to say is, if I saw this walking down the street, I'd be thinking to myself "what a freak"

http://www.thedrive-in.org/BILLvig.jpg

bjc
Aug-14-2007, 10:15am
You know I walked into a music store and at the front was some over the hill classic rock bass player reading Bass Player Magazine. His dream was over and he was bitter, mine was just beginning...he probably thought I had no money, but I had $1200 to buy a Les Paul. After being ignored, I went across the street and came back to the original store and showed him the comission he lost lost out on.

I had that experience when I was 17...

PatrickH
Aug-14-2007, 10:42am
I get a kick of of some stores that post a big sign over a bunch of $300 Mexican Fenders that says "Do not play", "Do not touch", "Ask for Assistance" and the like. Everywhere you look you are encouraged to take your business elsewhere.

Contrast that with the great Stan Jay who greats you at the door (also his office) and stops typing, looks up and says "Greetings, please make sure you play everything in the store!". You then proceed to the high end room and pick up a mando selling for $22K and play away.

Those who have had this experience know this is the one and only Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island. I bought my first quality mandolin, a Collings MF, there and I bought it because I was able to walk from room to room and play it for about 2 hours without anyone even giving me a glance. I also bought a tenor banjo there and Bussmann A mando for the same reason.

I live 2 1/2 hours away from there and he trip is more like a pilgrimage often just because of the experience. Play for hours, the best burger you've ever had across the street and Starbucks for the road. Fellowship (go with a friend), Bluegrass, newgrass, Irish folk and blues there and back. It truely does not get much better.

One time I sat there while Phil Keaggy played in the chair next to me, look over to me and said, "hey, how's it going?" (just fine, Phil) and another time I sat next to the 2006 Winfield flatpick champ, listened for awhile and asked, like the doofus I am, "so you must listen to Bryan Sutton"? The kid was very humble and simply replied "sure, I like Bryan". After hearing who he was in the next room, I retured home and looked him on the net and found a picture of him playing with Bryan Sutton! Here I am thinking he is some kid up in his room copying other players. Again, what a doofus.

So head down there, be prepared to pay the cash price and enjoy your life.

Please note: I have no financial interest with the Mandolin Brothers corporation (or the burger or coffee joints), I'm just in a goofy mood. It must be time for a trip.

Patrick

Ted Eschliman
Aug-14-2007, 10:48am
When it comes to sales staff, my laundry list of who I won't shop with is even longer, than "Long Haired, tatooted, earringed, snot nosed kids." I won't feel comfortable unless:

1.) Hair cropped closer than eyebrows, not too hang lower than ear lobes (same with sideburns). No smelly styling gels, please.
2.) Absolutely no tattoos (except Armed Services).
3.) One earring is okay, but left ear please (we all know what the right ear means!), and nothing in the nose.
4.) No mucous from the nose. Ever.
5.) No kids. Must be at least 35 years old. Preferably, high side of 40. You know, "Normal."

In addition to the above, I expect the salesperson to stand no closer than 4' 3" minimum, and be within 9" 5," just in case I have an intelligent question about the store's corporate policy of beating the price I can buy the instrument (I tried for the last 90 minutes) in the store over the internet. I expect him to have showered within the last 11 hours, washed his hands after using the restroom (warm water necessary!).

He must maintain good posture at all times, teeth brushed and flossed. He must attend church (synagogue is okay, I truly am tolerant, you know) regularly and be respectful of his elders. I expect him to keep the store mandolins tuned at all times (Heaven knows I can't). As far as reading magazines, I think he must be current with the latest gear, so I don't mind if these are read during his bathroom breaks, but not on the sales floor, even when no customers are there (I already mentioned the subsequent hand-washing). This is precious time that could be spent on the internet, helping the store owner mark down prices competitively so I don't get ripped off. (Please subtract local sales tax, too. I won't pay that; they just waste that money on roads, schools, and programs for the poor.)

I also don't want to buy from a weekend warrior musician who just works at the store cause he likes gear. If he gets too excited about the equipment, he might try to turn me on to something I'll regret buying later. I expect expertise, but he better make his money somewhere else, like a good home networking marketing program. Besides, I get more honest, reliable information on the internet. I know that for sure. (I remember I read it on a blog somewhere.)

I also expect good language in our discourse; not just in avoiding four-letter words, but flowery prose that is descriptive without being overbearing. I judge all my sales transactions on how articulate the salesman is. This is even more important than the product.

I think it's important to have high expectations of your music store.

allenhopkins
Aug-14-2007, 11:06am
Geez, Ted, I'd hate to try to sell you a hamburger...

Actually, I love your satire, but it also does point up that many of us used to be those "long-haired kids" who wasted our time playing instruments, hanging around music stores and coffeehouses, picking in the park with our friends on a weekend afternoon, putting together bands in our garages and family rooms. Our elders thought we were going to hell, and what was the country coming to?

Now we dis some people who behave just the way we used to. Not that I think ignoring customers, acting uninterested and dismissive, and projecting self-absorbed unfriendliness, is a good thing for someone who's getting paid to sell instruments. But let's try not to channel Spiro Agnew, OK?

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2007, 11:08am
the entire death tounge catalogue

Deamon drooler of the sewer
I'm a boinger
let's run over lionel ritchie with a tank

am I missing any ?

I thought they were just caving into the masses when they regrouped as "billy and the boingers" -
I think bill had to eventually put black electric tape on the end of his toungue - so audience members would focus on the music and not on the brand in use.
and of course #as tradition calls- there was only "one bill" in that band
I stand in awe....

thistle3585
Aug-14-2007, 11:14am
Its funny what Ted said about showering within the last 11 hours. Two big gripes of mine are the person who smells like they haven't showered or they hot boxed a cigarette just before coming over to help me.

Andrew

Aug-14-2007, 11:19am
My local Guitar Center has a pretty good staff. Few of them are up on acoustic instruments but they all know who is. The girl in the acoustic room was happy when she mentioned she's learning Greek bouzouki and I actually know what one is. Where was she 30 years ago? Oh, nevermind.

The only real problem with that store is getting past the "volume control?" kids to get to the good room.

entau
Aug-14-2007, 11:24am
I have to agree with allen hopkins - but...

my heavens - what did this country come to ?

they warned us.

woodwizard
Aug-14-2007, 11:36am
My visit at Gruhn Guitars was a wonderful experience. Too me they are the way a music store should be. Although I did not purchase anything I was treated in a manner simular to discriptions of Elderly and the Mandolin Brothers. Got to play some very nice vintage Gibson mando's back in the little glass room. One of the guys kept bringing in beautiful mandolins for me to try. F5's, F4's, A's snakeheads. I was on cloud nine until I looked up and seen my wife and kids looking at me thru the glass with very sad eyes. I knew my time was up. Anyway there are some really really quality stores out there. Just wanted to say Gruhn's is diffinently one of them.

hattio
Aug-14-2007, 11:47am
For me, the most annoying thing is the don't touch the instruments policy. I even had somebody complain at a music store because I pulled out a music case. Please. It's a hard shell case. If I can damage it, you shouldn't have it in stock. And if you think I'm so uncoordinated that I'm going to bang it against one of the instruments, you really don't trust your customers.

otterly2k
Aug-14-2007, 12:07pm
I'm not a conventionally "normal" looking person myself. #And then there's the whole boys' club aspect of most of my music store experiences (whether it's young headbangers or old hippies or middle-aged coulda-beens... it's still usually men). #I don't like being pre-judged as a customer based on my appearance (or gender). #So I try not to pre-judge sales staff based on theirs. #IMHO, How they treat me as a customer is a fair basis for judgement.

For me, poor customer service skills are a problem, and good service skills are welcome -- whether they are exhibited by people with piercings, people with neckties or people with too much make-up. #To me, that means saying hello and offering to help if I want help, leaving me some room/time to explore on my own, answering my questions, not making assumptions about what I do/don't know, treating me with respect (e.g. don't "little lady" me or ignore me) and not feeding me b.s..

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2007, 12:25pm
People generally like to interact with people that look like they do. In most major cities there are ethnic neighborhoods and this is indicative of this behavior. On the other side of the coin I remember when I was denied entrance to Disneyland (circa 1970) because my hair was too long. As long as a salesperson treats me well and doesn't offend my olfactory senses I have no problem what they look like. I would hope people would look at me the same way.

Wesley
Aug-14-2007, 1:14pm
After working retail for many years there are are a few things I've learned:

Greet everyone who steps through the door as soon as you can. Be friendly and sincere.
NEVER judge any customers wallet by the size of your own
Never ask a customer if there is anything they are looking for because the canned response is - "No I'm just looking".
Always assume that every customer has the potential to be the best repeat customer your store has ever seen.
Always assume that everything you do or say to a customer will be reported on a website somewhere.
Be grateful for every customer you have.And make sure they know it.

jim simpson
Aug-14-2007, 2:14pm
"My local George's Music stores use the other extreme. As soon as I walk in, the guy working the floor comes from in back of the counter, asks my name, what do I play, what kind of music I like to play, am I in a band, etc., like he's trying to be my best friend, or pick me up for a date, and all this time with a big fake smile on his face". - Lee

My Gosh Lee,
That used to be my local music store for the best price on mandolin strings. I even stocked up before moving out of state. I used to walk in and say (as a joke) that I was there to apply for the manager position. The manager always looked shocked at first. I thought it strange that they didn't sell used instruments (no trade-ins) when just about anyone else would take trade-ins.
Jim

Evan Mahoney
Aug-14-2007, 2:29pm
i don't know who that guy was, but I thought it was funny how he would look up from his typing and say: "Greetings, make sure you play everything in the store." That's pretty good customer service, no?

DryBones
Aug-14-2007, 2:40pm
my son bought me an iTunes gift card for Fathers Day at a mall chain record store. The clerk never activated the card so when I tried to use it...no good. I called and spoke with the store manager who was very polite, looked up the transaction on his computer and told me to bring it back to be activated. When I got to the store I found the clerk that forgot to activate the card was a newer employee in his 40's and the manager was the kid with all the piercings and tattoos. The manager was very polite and apologetic with me and activated my card and then politely explained to the new clerk about how to do these correctly. Goes to show you that thing about judging a book by its cover. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

salleyann
Aug-14-2007, 2:54pm
I don't mind the "LHTESNK" being behind the counter,but when I come to the counter with my purchase and he asks me to wait a minute while he answers the phone I get really chapped.

Zako
Aug-14-2007, 2:56pm
So, being new to stores and stuff...

What happens if somebody comes into Gruhn's, really takes advantage of their play-everything policy, causes 10,000 worth of damage to an expensive instrument, and refuses to pay for it?

JHo
Aug-14-2007, 3:03pm
I'd suspect they wouldn't be able to come into Gruhn's again.

Interesting question though, what to do if someone causes some costly damage during a test drive and then refuses to pay for it. Not sure how I would handle that.

otterly2k
Aug-14-2007, 3:05pm
My guess is that what the careless customer has done has been captured on surveillance cameras, and the store takes the customer to court to recoup damages, if need be. #Preferably, need does not be... and most people who come in to play instruments will treat them with care.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-14-2007, 3:16pm
Either that or they'd glue it back together, call it a Distressed Master Model and sell it for more money than before.

Oscar429
Aug-14-2007, 3:30pm
Well, Mike, that's kinda funny and kinda sad, though MMs don't usually have puke on them.

As for me, I don't pay money for the "weathered " look. #What's important for me is that it doesn't look like a dead cat and that it plays #and sounds good. I'm good at scratching it up by myself, anyway. Don't need to pay for some professional scratching dude to do it for me.

Timbofood
Aug-14-2007, 3:47pm
Gee, Ted, back when I worked in a music store I had hair! Now and then it was long, always clean, I tried not to offend, but I think I would have a tough time given your "Parameters of acceptable employees." You are not in Michigan are you?

Ted Eschliman
Aug-14-2007, 4:00pm
Tim, 27 years of music retail and hair-pulling have left me as pictured (the one holding the mandolin):

Jim MacDaniel
Aug-14-2007, 4:14pm
I walked into a music store here in Houston and the first thing that I see is a Long Haired, tatooted, earringed, snot nosed kid sitting behind the counter reading a magazine. #I looked around the store for a few minutes and the kid made no effort to get up and ask if I needed anything. #(By the way, the owner was in his office and had to hear what was going on in the store, he also made no effort to ask if I wanted or needed anything). #Don't store owners realize that you came into their store for a reason. #Am I alone in seeing this everytime I enter a music store or am I just a crabby old man? #Needless to say, I left the store and will probably not go back. #Is customer service dead? #Don't owners or clerks raalize that when people come in to their establishmengts they have money to spend? #Am I wrong??? #(Not a mandolin in sight)
I don't think you are a crabby old man, you just walked into the wrong store -- the musical equivalent of walking into wine bar when you were thirsty for single malt.

It's all about the demographics of the dealer's target market, which for independent shops often may be driven by the owner's own musical interests. Such an owner would also likely staff the store with people sharing his musical interests, and who would likely be able to more easily establish rapport with his target market than someone not from that world. Additionally, such employees would already come with a baseline product knowledge of his inventory that he could build upon.

Were your long haired, tatooed, ear-ringed guitar player to walk into a music store that focused on providing acoustic intruments for a trad or BG clientele, I suspect the he/she would be similarly off-put by the appearance of the guy behind the counter, and perhaps by the limited selection of electric instuments as well. And he too might also think he was treated rudely or indifferently, when in reality the more "normal" guy working the counter that day, may have simply had no idea how to approach him.#http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jim MacDaniel
Aug-14-2007, 4:23pm
BTW Ted -- looking good on that cover there! (Were that picture taken a year earlier, might you have been holding "Old Blue" instead?)

Frank Russell
Aug-14-2007, 4:27pm
Long-haired, tattooed, earring? Sounds just like the guy who got me interested in mandolins in the first place, and got me up on stage my first time. If I remember, he was working in a music store, and also invited me to my first bluegrass jam. Frank

Mark Walker
Aug-14-2007, 4:52pm
We all have our unique experiences. #Mine - with LHTESNKWPT (Long-Haired...With Pierced Tongue) - was more like:

ME: #"Hi, how's it going?"

LHTESNKWPT: "Thup? Naw thoo bath."

ME: #"What do you have in D'Addario mandolin strings?"

LHTESNKWPT: #"Wath? #Matholith? #I doan thikth we hath thothe..."

I bit my tongue (no pun intended) and didn't bother to ask him if he'd remove the bolt-sized tongue bone (or whatever they call them) so he could converse with me in an understandable dialect. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ME: "Okay, thanks anyway. #Have a good day."

LHTESNKWPT: #"Thankth. #You thoo." # # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JHo
Aug-14-2007, 5:03pm
Too funny. I love hearing folks with the tongue-thingy say "Thup, doo?", meaning "What's up, dude?".

Jim MacDaniel
Aug-14-2007, 5:17pm
LOL! I now find myself understanding things my two year old says that barely resemble words to the untrained ear, so I guess I am fairly good at understanding the unintelligible -- which makes me I wonder if I could sell my services as a translator for people shopping at the Guitah Thenter™.

Joe Dodson
Aug-14-2007, 6:22pm
I walked into a music store here in Houston and .... (Not a mandolin in sight)

Howdy Treetopper. Maybe a little off topic from your original post, but if you ever find a shop here in Houston with a good mando selection, I hope you'll send me a PM. I've found it's a struggle finding them around here.

Timbofood
Aug-15-2007, 7:52am
Ted, the quantity of my hair is closing on yours fast. No harm, no foul.

Wesley
Aug-15-2007, 8:15am
Joe - Doesn't Fullers carry a pretty good selection of mandolins? I'm up in Ft Worth but Fullers always tends to bring the entire Gibson line to the local guitar shows.

Rick Smith
Aug-15-2007, 5:54pm
I would like to comment on a somewhat similar topic please. I recently had my first dealings with Greg Boyd in Missoula,MT and it will certainly not be my last. They are a class act. I suggest you all give them a call when you need help. Thanks.:)