PDA

View Full Version : My new glenn f-5

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:34am
Howdy,
I am so excited I am about to pop. My new Glenn is sitting in the UPS warehouse in Amarillo, Texas, and will be delivered Monday. I called to see if I could pick it up tomorrow but they wouldn't allow me to as it is closed on the weekend. Oh well...I'll be sittin here waitin on it.

I will be glad to give a review when it comes in but thought I'd show you some previews. There are some of the pictures with silver Bill James tail piece but that is because we were waiting for My Gold personalized Bill James to come in...it looks awesome. Hope you enjoy.

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:35am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:36am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:36am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:37am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:38am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:39am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:42am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:43am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:43am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:44am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:45am
another

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:46am
final pic for now

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:52am
Allen Jones has been so good to work with and he has been wonderful as a person. While I have never met the man in person, I would say he has treated me like a brother. The workmanship is fantastic. He was great at guiding my ideas. I love the old Gibson style appearance and the flame is fantastic. Bill James did a great job on my name. Allen was going out of town so his wife Leisa even helped by arranging shipping so that I would have the mandolin quicker, rather than waiting until his return. They were kind, patient, friendly, and we even know a few of the same people as my grandparents and a whole mess of cousins live not too far from the area (Dixon, MO, and Hartville, Marshfield, MO). I'd say he is a good neighbor (although most of my neighbors here in Texas say yall while his say youins...I grew up in Kansas and say you guys). The great service, the great value, the great attitude, and as it has been described, the great sound, means you need to talk to Allen and get yourself one of these Jems. Feed your MAS.

I'll send more pictures and talk about how it plays and sounds next week.

Denny

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 12:54am
I forgot the great looking headstock and the design on the fretboard. Both were good features in my opinion.

The sides and the neck look great too. Love that flame.

I think it's beautiful...and I can't wait to get it. It is an hour and a half away and I can't have it until MOnday some time....makes me want to cry.

talk to you soon.
Denny

MikeEdgerton
Aug-11-2007, 6:13am
It looks great.

tnpathfinder
Aug-11-2007, 7:39am
Great looking Mandolin! I love my Glenn #52.

Lane Pryce
Aug-11-2007, 7:59pm
you mandolin sure is a looker. Bet its gonna sound good too, congratulations. Lp

Steve Cantrell
Aug-11-2007, 8:38pm
I really like the stain, and nice grain on the top. Looks great!

Roydw3
Aug-11-2007, 10:52pm
Thank you guys, on eof the things I asked for was the top to be lighter than some that he makes...I love those really dark sunbursts on his website....but I wanted to see the wood so front, back, neck, and sides are such that you can see the wood. I'll say it again, Allen is a class act and he has been wonderful to work with.

B. T. Walker
Aug-12-2007, 7:20am
That's a sweet looking mando. Enjoy.

Cheryl Watson
Aug-12-2007, 7:40am
Denny,

Congrads! I love that color-very warm and vintagy. If you have never had a mandolin with a Bill James Tailpiece, then you will find it to be the easiest to string EVER!

Is that a handrubbed varnish finish? Looks like it.
I really hope it is alright after spending the weekend in a warehouse in Texas in August!

Please report back and we'd love to hear some sound clips if you can get give a link or email me and I'll get back with you. I have been very curious as to the tone/volume/response of these Glenn mandolins.

When my Kimble F5 was brand-spankin' new, it sounded very good and had very good volume. I was pleased with it from the get-go. It has aged in the last five years into a GREAT sounding mandolin with a quick response and it is louder and fuller sounding, still with a nice cut. GREAT jam mandolin--I never worry about being heard or hearing myself.

Again, congrads!

Cheryl

Roydw3
Aug-12-2007, 8:55am
Cheryl,
I am looking forward to the James tailpiece. It will be my first, but everything I have read tells me it is fantastic.

I too worry about the mandolin sitting in the warehouse all weekend. It was 105 here yesterday so inside a warehouse it was probably unbelievably hot. I'll find out tomorrow...keep your fingers crossed.

Yes, it is a hand varnished finish. I forget the language he uses to describe it, but he told me what it was. I am sure excited to have it.

As for sound clips, I will do my best. I tried to make some for a Breedlove that I sold and for some reason, others couldn't see or hear it. It worked fine on all my computers. I will probably try to get out as much information about it as possible. It seems many ask questions about Allen Jones on this site but few seem to know much about his work. I hope to change that a little. He is just a fantastic guy and his work is amazing, and for the value, is unbelievable. I will record some clips, maybe put it on youtube so people can access it easier.

CAN'T WAIT - I will take my son to football practice, then go work out, then sit in my front room with the door open just waiting for the UPS guy. I know him so I might go and track him down. (yes, we only have one for the whole area...we are a little town). No, I'll be patient and sit and wait......is it here yet....how about now!

Denny

Roydw3
Aug-12-2007, 8:32pm
Man the wait is killing me...and worse...I have been waiting for two days to see the tracking information post that the mandolin was received in Amarillo. It left Oklahoma City two days ago in the early afternoon on a 5 hour drive, but has never been scanned as received in Amarillo. My fear is they have it in the trailer sitting in the lot...it was 105 yesterday and about that today...Oh, I am nervous about heat and its affect on the mandolin.

When it does come in, what should I be looking for to make sure there is no damage? What should I do as far as tuning and playing? Should I wait a while before playing the mandolin?

Thanks
Denny

Steve Cantrell
Aug-12-2007, 8:43pm
I know the feeling Denny--Poe #14 is set to arrive 8/27. I emailed and asked for a day's delay in the shipping since I wasn't sure I would be here to get it. With my area setting an all-time record for heat--105--this past week, the thought of it sitting in a warehouse or truck makes me squirm. The new Glenn looks great, and by all accounts Allen is a good guy to work with.

Rick Smith
Aug-12-2007, 9:41pm
It's a beauty no doubt, but didn't UPS go on strike Saturday? Just kidding. Congrats!

Roydw3
Aug-13-2007, 5:17pm
Wow, it finally arrived late this afternoon. I am amazed how beautiful this mandolin is in appearance. It is even better than the pictures show. I am just blown away. I tuned it up and played it a few minutes ago and it is amazing. I really hated to sell my Breedlove and I was afraid that I would be losing tone to get the chop...wrong. This mandolin has an amazing chop alright, but it has fantastic tone. When I pick it sounds so clean. I don't know how else to describe it. It sounds great, clear, loud, with sustain. I will tell more as things go along. I put it up and am fixing dinner for the family but I will have it back in my hands soon. I just can't believe how great this mandolin is...part of me was very nervous but I put my trust in Allen and he hit a home run. wow wow wow...talk to you later

Leevon DeCourley
Aug-13-2007, 5:47pm
I got to visit with Allen this weekend he was playing at a festivel that i was playing at. He is a friendly guy to talk to but he didn't have any mandolins with him. I am thinking of ordering one myself. He had a really good student a model at the Starvy Creek bluegrass festivel that sounded great.

Roydw3
Aug-13-2007, 5:55pm
Lee,

I don't know about the student...though I am thinking of getting one for my mother...but this Fern style mandolin is just amazing. It looks vintage but with some really great new features like the radius fretboard, wider neck, and Bill James tailpiece. This thing is just amazing...I can't stop smiling.

Denny

Roydw3
Aug-14-2007, 9:37pm
I have had a few people asking for sound clips. I will still try to make some but I thought I might let you know that you can contact Allen Jones via his email or website and get his cd. It is VERY GOOD. The mandolin on the cd used for the recording is one of his mandolins and it is played by the great Bryon Sutton and also Tim Crouch. I am really impressed. Just wish I could play like that...someday, someday.

His email is...
bubbyjones@webtv.net

His website is...
http://community-2.webtv.net/bubbyjones/Glennmandolins/

I don't know what he charges for the cd but I have really enjoyed it.

Anyway, if you want to hear someone play who knows what they are doing, check it out. He can also send you some sound clips of Bryon Sutton playing. He did for me. I have had my computer crash since then or I would send them to you.

Have a great day
Denny

Roydw3
Aug-16-2007, 7:58am
Just wanted to update...we are 2.5 days into my playing the new mandolin and my fingers are getting used to the string spacing which is a little narrower than my Breedlove. Man, my fingers hurt...I have been playing the snot out of this mandolin. I just can't get over how great it sounds. I said it before, I'll say it again. I was worried that I was making a mistake in selling my Breedlove, and while I loved that blonde A mandolin, this Glenn is by far a superior instrument. The sound is just amazing. It has a great chop, something I hadn't been able to do very well in the past and I thought it was just me...and it may be in part...but this mandolin barks...I finally know what that sounds like. It also has very clean, rich sound when playing melodies. I am just amazed. I am just blown away.

Hope you all have a great day
Denny

HarmonyRexy
Aug-18-2007, 10:36pm
Denny--- #Your Glenn sounds so wonderful! #I'm so glad that you've had such a positive experience with a terrifically talented luthier.
Your description of the hot weather conditions and your mandolin sitting in a warehouse have made me cringe, big time. #I knew that you had a bad experience with shipping and a long holiday weekend with another mandolin. I thank God that you didn't have that type of problem again.

The pictures look great. #I particularly like the fingerboard. #I've been trying to cool it with my mandolin buying/selling but looking at yours/hearing about yours qualities make me want to rethink that!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif nice

Roydw3
Aug-18-2007, 11:27pm
Yes, as you know, that previous mandolin, in which the builder had received quite a few positive comments here on the cafe, was a headache for me. It wasn't the builders fault, but the shippers fault. The shipper claimed to have come by at a certain time on a Friday and that nobody was there. I stayed there all day because I knew it was coming. They never came by and it was a LIE! I tried to get it that night at the shipper and then the next day but I couldn't. Then the following Monday, they never showed. I called Tuesday, they said it was delivered, and then later found it on the truck. The sides under the tailpiece had started to separate but it was barely noticable and I didn't even see it at first. It wasn't a few days later the mandolin started coming apart.

Thus when I found out about the mix up in shipping and that the mandolin was going to be in a truck for the weekend...I almost cried. I was so worried and stayed that way until the mandolin was delivered later on Monday.

As for the other mandolin. I had to ship it back to its builder who did fix it and didn't charge me and I appreciate him for it but it just didn't sound the same. Something is missing. I have now started sanding it down and am going to try to work on it and refinish it, change the tuners (which were also destroyed in the heat but not replaced), change the tail piece and bridge, and then see if it is even worth being a beater.

If you are serious about getting another mandolin, give Allen a call or email. He has mandolins from the student model on up.

I played it today for about 5 hours while watching football and I can't get over the great tone.

Every time I take it out of the case I am blown away and I can't help but smile.

I can't believe you remembered the bad experience.

HAve a good day
Denny

Roydw3
Aug-20-2007, 8:07am
I've had a few emails for more pics so this afternoon I'll try to get some pics outside where the day light will help me. It is going to be hot again today so I will not stay out there long...but I'll get some for you guys. My camera is high quality and I wish I could put those pics on but they are too large. I'll modify it so that you can see as much detail as possible.

thanks for all the private emails...I appreciate the encouragment. Yes, the mandolin still sounds great. I have been playing it multiple times per day. It is just amazing.

Denny

Roydw3
Aug-22-2007, 7:41am
If you had been looking for the pictures and sound clips and had it marked to keep track of this thread, I started a new thread with the link to youtube where a clip is available. I hope that the tone can be heard even above my horrible playing.

Thanks again for all the emails and comments.
Denny

Roydw3
Aug-22-2007, 7:46am
link to the other thread for future search opportunities

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....t=46370 (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=46370)