PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse iii

Hans
Aug-10-2007, 12:03pm
Didn't you just know, after the last one I just have to have a red one for myself! Here's the final version:

Hans
Aug-10-2007, 12:04pm
Back from the Ebay log (sugar maple)

pjlama
Aug-10-2007, 12:05pm
Beautiful!

Hans
Aug-10-2007, 12:06pm
Peghead:

Hans
Aug-10-2007, 12:08pm
Pickguard:

Hans
Aug-10-2007, 12:09pm
Final scroll shape:

cooper4205
Aug-10-2007, 12:17pm
that's what I'm talking about Hans, absolutely beautiful- the headstock design and the body scroll especially (and the color, too)!

MikeEdgerton
Aug-10-2007, 12:19pm
I love the fretboard binding to pickguard binding transition. Nice touch.

billhay4
Aug-10-2007, 12:22pm
Hans,
A couple of questions if you don't mind.
Did you use a mathematical formula to design the scroll? If so, do you mind sharing it? I'm interested in elliptical shapes and how to generate them at the moment.
Second, what kind of tailpiece is that?
Appreciate it.
Bill

Kevin K
Aug-10-2007, 12:27pm
Did you do your bridge? I like the bone(looks like) insert for the E and A.

Dale Ludewig
Aug-10-2007, 12:59pm
Hans, do you sleep? You're way too productive.
Dale http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

DryBones
Aug-10-2007, 1:48pm
are the bindings on the fretboard and pickguard a different color than the body binding or is just the lighting?

Brain
Aug-10-2007, 5:10pm
Wow. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the look of mandolins, but I find that design totally appealing in every way. Great job. Very impressive.

Brian, in sunny Portland

Hans
Aug-10-2007, 5:15pm
Well, let's see...
The scroll was designed with the "doodle and curse" method, designed by eyeball. This is the fifth Eclipse, and I've finally got what I think is close to what I originally envisioned for the scroll.
That is the James tailpiece with Michael Lewis' cover design...just lovely Michael!
Bridge is one of Steve Smith's beauties with a fossilzed walrus cap on the treble side. Don't know if it needs it with that sugar maple, but it does draw questions...
Jason, the bindings on the fretboard are scraped on the top edge, and varnished on the body, and have no finish on the pickguard.
Dale, don't know if I'm more productive than some of these young whippersnappers...remember I started these in February, and just now am finishing the last two.
Thanks for lookin' folks!

jasona
Aug-10-2007, 5:31pm
Very innovative Hans, and drop dead sexy!

mandolooter
Aug-10-2007, 6:22pm
dang, its meltin my monitor its so hot!
That color scheme fits that to a T!
As always....excellente!

Big Joe
Aug-10-2007, 8:26pm
Hans...you never fail to inspire and impress me! Great job, as always.

Mark Walker
Aug-10-2007, 9:31pm
A luthier building a mandolin for himself ? #Wow! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Seriously, a very fine and unique-looking instrument Hans.

Keep up the great work! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bill Halsey
Aug-10-2007, 10:48pm
Yes, a bit like the architect's house, isn't it? Congratulations, Hans -- you've united the whole design in truly fine fashion; I've not seen the likes of it since the '20s. What a spectacular instrument!

Michael Lewis
Aug-11-2007, 12:45am
Well Hans, that looks like "jazz", so izzat what you gonna play on it? You keep stirring the pot and inspiring me to do new designs, but I need more months in the year to do it.

Hans
Aug-11-2007, 6:20am
Thanks folks! What a concept! The cobbler makes himself a pair of shoes! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
I've really been working hard for a long time to refine this design. Who knows though, I might come up with an idea one morning and have to make another.
Michael, I think all of us builders wish we had more months in the year, or another 4 hours each day so that we might even sleep a little.
What to play on it? I think this mandolin will play anything.

cgwilsonjr
Aug-11-2007, 9:55am
Beautiful work, Hans, as always. Chuck

steve V. johnson
Aug-11-2007, 12:03pm
Thanks, Hans! That's a wonderful evolution of the F style.

May you long enjoy it!

stv

james condino
Aug-11-2007, 12:38pm
Hans:
What you did to the treble bout "point" looks timeless- nice work!

j.
www.condino.com