PDA

View Full Version : Calling all fullerton owners!

Sheryl McDonald
Aug-09-2007, 7:38pm
I'm curious to hear what you Fullerton owners are thinking about your mandolins, now that you've had them for 3-4 months. #Are they playing in like you expected? #Hows the Gloucester sound? #As woody as before? #What about the Hammonton? #Did it break in?

I own a Hammonton, that on first play -- sounded rather brassy and twangy, and I almost sent it back. However time got away from me and the 45 day return passed, so I still have it. #It still has the original strings and setup, but it's been played quite often, and I'm amazed it sounds as good as it does. #I do think a setup and strings would make a big improvement, but I'm not close to any luthiers [not any that would appreciate me asking them to set up a Chinese mando], so that's still on the list. #In the mean time, the tone is still coming out. #It's starting to develop a lower end that over time might actually be rather decent.

What do you other owners think?

AppBrookie
Aug-09-2007, 9:52pm
I am extremely happy with my Gloucester, What a bargain for a great sounding mandolin. I spent $30 bucks on a set-up and installed EXP74's.... very easy to play and sounds great.
Mine is a keeper...Thanks again for the earlier guys sharing their discovery.

Lee Callicutt
Aug-09-2007, 10:23pm
Very happy. I repaired the treble f-hole crack on my Gloucester and did some work on the nut and spacing of the G course strings at the bridge and am well pleased. Woody tone. If I could only keep one mandolin right now, this would be the one (not bad at all, for $99), but fortunately I don't have to make that decision. Still playing the original strings, but have a set of J-74's that I'm planning to put on and I'll probably tweak the setup a little more then as well as finish the polishing. I decided polishing the matte finish was the most cost-effective cosmetic approach to blend out the crack repair.

I only get to play my Pennington about once a month when I'm up in Charlotte, and I usually don't have another mando around for comparison, so it sounds great to me, but I dearly enjoy having it waiting for me there. Again, it's an easy instrument to tune up to pitch, sweet A course, easy player, focused and punchy.

And I'm thoroughly enjoying my Fullerton Greenwich guitar as well. Still haven't given my brother-in-law the lefty Steelman dreadnaught I picked up for $49. I figure it'll pretty well knock his socks off for Christmas.

But to tell you the truth, I've been guilty of playing more banjo than anything else! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Rick Cadger
Aug-10-2007, 4:06am
absolutely brilliant. for a mad moment i considered selling my Gloucester to fund a more expensive purchase. NO WAY! keeping it was the best decision i could have made.

it is woody, has very good chop and really feels like it has grown into my hands. with the bone nut i made the action is low and smooth and the tuning is as stable as any mando i ever owned. i have buffed the finish to a medium gloss, and in the process have thinned the already thin finish even further. i suspect that may have sped the opening up of the tone, as it sounds way fuller and more substantial than it did when i first got it. it is really pretty loud too.

it gets loads of compliments both on sound and appearance.

i probably will go and buy another mando soon - a bit more expensive - but i feel no urgency. this mando is quite enough for me until i meander off to the store in my own sweet time.

maybe the best bargain purchase i made in my life, and i am getting near 50!

you may gather that i love it.

Soupy1957
Aug-10-2007, 5:40am
I remember the fervor for the Fullerton, but have forgotten the link. What did the Gloucester cost you?

-Soupy1957

bikebum
Aug-10-2007, 5:47am
Soupy, don't know who you were asking about the Gloucester cost but I paid $199. including shipping.

Jerry

Sheryl McDonald
Aug-10-2007, 6:01am
I am extremely happy with my Gloucester, #What a bargain for a great sounding mandolin. #I spent $30 bucks on a set-up and installed EXP74's.... very easy to play and sounds great.
Mine is a keeper...Thanks again for the earlier guys sharing their discovery.
AppBrookie:

Who did the $30 setup for you?

Sheryl McDonald
Aug-10-2007, 6:06am
The link was music123.com, but they are long since sold out. I paid $179 including shipping for the Hammonton.

I too was tempted to sell it at one point, but I do think it will break in even more. I have considered a mando voodoo on it, but really think I need to start with setup.
All this is compared to a cheap -- purchased on the cafe -- no name blond f5 that I got for $275 here on the cafe. That mando will hold up again several higher ended ones. It's got a punchy sound, woody low end, and is easy to play and clear as a bell up the neck. I keep hoping the fullerton will get there too.

Rick Cadger
Aug-10-2007, 7:47am
I remember the fervor for the Fullerton, but have forgotten the link. What did the Gloucester cost you?

-Soupy1957
in my case it was $199 + shipping to UK.

ApK
Aug-10-2007, 8:40am
I have the $49 Nottingham. I like it a lot. I'm not an expert or connoisseur of mandos by any stretch, but it is pleasant sounding, well intonated, and easy to play. Distinctly better than my Rogue all around. And it looks nice.
Mike Edgerton heard it at the last BOTMA park jam...I'm curious to hear what he thought of it.

Kero
Aug-10-2007, 9:26am
Did it break in?
Very happy with it, soon i'll have an Allen tail on it, will do a video if the change is substantial+...using TI's on it, great for bgrass, jazz..anything. Both volume and tone keeps improving as it ages..

Rick Cadger
Aug-10-2007, 10:53am
...Both volume and tone keeps improving as it ages..
that's the thing, isn't it? amazing how these get so much better so quickly.

i've had good mandos that opened up nicely, and even a cheapish kentucky A-style a couple of years ago that came alive quite well (not sure what model).

but this Fullerton has grown up really fast. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Kero
Aug-10-2007, 10:59am
but this Fullerton has grown up really fast. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
After a heavy jam, or practice, i pull it out the next day...AMzing at times how much extra growl is there...i'm risking of being banished from the living room, where my banjo was condamned to silence already..:-))

MikeEdgerton
Aug-10-2007, 11:16am
Mike Edgerton heard it at the last BOTMA park jam...I'm curious to hear what he thought of it

It sounded like a mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Honestly, I was too busy giving a lesson. Next time you're there I'll play it and take a listen, then kick myself for not getting one. Are you coming to BOTMA this month?

Dave Cowles
Aug-10-2007, 11:20am
I have both a Gloucester and a Hammonton. They both get played a lot, and every time I have a passing thought of selling one of them, it is gone as soon as I pick them up again. The Hammonton is actually my favorite of the two, mostly because of the feel of the neck. It is currently strung up with Monels, and the gloucester with EJ74s. My handmade F-5 is like a poor stepchild most of the time. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
Dave

Ed Lutz
Aug-10-2007, 11:44am
My Gloucester is such a super keeper to me. It seems to grow louder as the months have passed. I have played a Collings MT and the Gloucester does not quite reach the rich sound like the MT has which is a beautiful A model. The MT seems to have a fuller perhaps lower range that is not so focused as the Gloucester. It seems to me that most mandos have access to the higher range but it is difficult for me with my hearing loss to discern a lower frequency range that I prefer. Maybe the Glouscester has the low range and I just can't hear it very well.
I now have a Tone Guard device that I keep on the back to keep me from muting the range of my mando. I love it too.
However, I really like the plain and subdued appearances of these mandos. Would love to A-B it to a Gibson F9. #
I too had it set up. This was at Fiddlers Green Music Shop in Memphis for $30.00. Great place to do business too. I had to have the 9th fret on the A string lowered as it had a problem. At first I thought I would receive "guffaws" about my mando but the luthier did a beautiful job and he and the owner were visibly impressed with the instrument. He played the "fire" out of it and bragged on it the way it had a beautiful chop and bark. The sustain is unbelievable. They could not believe a Pac-rim for that low price was such a decent instrument.
I still have this deep hankering though for a Gibson F5. Only in my dreams I guess. #I do hope all who bought the Fullerton Gloucester have been as happy as I am about this one.

mboucher
Aug-10-2007, 12:01pm
I'm very happy with mine. It sounds great from high to low, up and down the neck. I'm using J74s and they seem to work just fine. I've been thinking about putting TIs on it but just not sure how to tell the wife the string budget went from $6 to around $30. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Mark

ApK
Aug-10-2007, 12:07pm
Are you coming to BOTMA this month?
Yes. Also, while we might a bit below your level, if you want to see how your mando fits in with more contemporary syles, you're invited to my guitar jam (http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=006421) as well.

ApK

tkdboyd
Aug-10-2007, 12:16pm
I couldn't (realistically) be more happy with my Gloucester at 178.00 with S/H. It was one of the last 'blems' from music123.com. On my 4th set of strings since June, and have been pretty happy with the sound. The EXP74's that I just put on there last night seem to be the best so far for this mandolin!

Kero
Aug-10-2007, 12:29pm
emphasize the savings..lasts 4 times longer, woman loves that..:-)

pager
Aug-12-2007, 11:05pm
I still love my Fullerton Pennington F. #It is the best instrument 'deal' I ever made. #Crazy as it sounds, it is the first mandolin that I pick up to play at night (I also own an Eastman 515 F, a Gibson F9, and a San Juan F5). # Why do I keep picking up that Pennington? #It's just so much fun to play! It just plays so well all the way up the neck. #It sounds good too. The finish and construction is great.#It still seems impossible for what I paid, that I got such a steal on an F mandolin. #No, it does not sound like my F9 or my San Juan. #Of course my F9 cost 30 times more. #Does my F9 sound 30 times better? #That is a nagging question ... # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Rick Cadger
Aug-13-2007, 5:55am
i try not to feel smug about what i got for the money. honest i do. i really try...

M. Hollen
Aug-13-2007, 7:15pm
Finally, it was one time I didn't let the boat pass me by and I just can't be more pleased. My Gloucester keeps sounding better and better. No real set-up to speak of, I just set the intonation and changed strings. I think I am going to take it to the Mando clinic in Owensboro next month. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jim simpson
Aug-13-2007, 10:27pm
I still have my Gloucester. I like it and am waiting for it's value to skyrocket then I'll cash in!

mboucher
Aug-14-2007, 6:21am
So has anyone got an offically count of the Fullerton mandos on this site?

Mark

Rick Cadger
Aug-14-2007, 7:05am
Maybe if each owner chips in with a post saying "Aye!" we'll get an idea.

AYE!

arbarnhart
Aug-14-2007, 11:50am
Aye - Gloucester - about $170 with shipping. I can't imagine getting rid of it. I used to say that about my cheap oval A Washburn, but I had this nagging aesthetic issue in the back of my mind that made that statement slightly less than totally unqualified. With the Gloucester, that isn't there. I like plain wood without a lot of frills; the F9 was always one of my favorites (and it is pretty obvious that the F9 inspired the Gloucester). Others who have played are shocked at what I paid (I sold the Washburn for that much plus shipping, and basically got it on par).

EDIT - Just as an FYI, the nagging aesthetic on the Washburn was that it was painted (grand piano black; not a bad way to go if you can't see the wood) and non traditional (F peghead on an oval A) plus as often as I would deny it, I always had a touch of scroll envy. I said I didn't often enough to wonder who it was I was trying to convince...

and another thing (I just keep rambling on) I like is that I will take it pretty much anywhere. I will protect it and keep it out of rediculous environments (though I would take it on a sailboat cruise, which some might think rediculous) but I won't leave it or use a piece of junk because I am worried about having a really valuable instrument with me.

tedincolorado
Aug-14-2007, 12:36pm
I was lucky enough to get in on these early- the Hammonton was my first F style mando. I liked it so much that I got a Gloucester a few weeks later.
I could rave on and on about what great little instruments they are but others already have so I'll just say I strongly agree.
Mine have both dramatically improved in the six or eight months I've had them. The Hammonton has a really sweet sound and the Gloucester is very loud and woody.

M. Hollen
Aug-14-2007, 9:04pm
Aye, was able to score a Gloucester

jim simpson
Aug-14-2007, 9:26pm
As a Fullerton owner, I wonder if anyone can state conclusively that the top is pressed and not carved. If it is pressed, how is the scroll ridge managed? Just curious.

Lee Callicutt
Aug-14-2007, 10:30pm
I still love my Fullerton Pennington F. #It is the best instrument 'deal' I ever made. #Crazy as it sounds, it is the first mandolin that I pick up to play at night (I also own an Eastman 515 F, a Gibson F9, and a San Juan F5). # Why do I keep picking up that Pennington? #It's just so much fun to play! It just plays so well all the way up the neck. #It sounds good too. The finish and construction is great.#It still seems impossible for what I paid, that I got such a steal on an F mandolin. #No, it does not sound like my F9 or my San Juan. #Of course my F9 cost 30 times more. #Does my F9 sound 30 times better? #That is a nagging question ... # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
I was able to spend some time with my Pennington this past weekend, and yeah, it's a keeper in in its own right!

Dave Cowles
Aug-15-2007, 10:02am
Quote Jim Simpson: "As a Fullerton owner, I wonder if anyone can state conclusively that the top is pressed and not carved. If it is pressed, how is the scroll ridge managed? Just curious."

The tops on these mandos lack a recurve, which I'm told is a pretty solid assurance that they are pressed vs. carved. The scrolls probably get some handwork at the final stages of construction.

Dave

Sheryl McDonald
Aug-15-2007, 9:00pm
The tops on these mandos lack a recurve, which I'm told is a pretty solid assurance that they are pressed vs. carved. The scrolls probably get some handwork at the final stages of construction.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a recurve?

arbarnhart
Aug-15-2007, 10:27pm
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a recurve?
A small dip/rise right near the edge all the way around. Like a very slight trough. If you laid a Loar flat and set a BB on the very edge, it would roll toward the center a very short distance and come to rest maybe 1/2" from the edge. If you did that with a Fullerton, the BB would roll off the edge.

Kero
Aug-23-2007, 7:29am
here it is with the new Allen tail....sorry about the humming :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsx7deL21U8

Rick Cadger
Aug-24-2007, 3:23am
yep there's that nice Gloucester tone, even on a youtube vid. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Kero
Aug-24-2007, 8:15am
yep there's that nice Gloucester tone, even on a youtube vid. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
new cumberland bridge arrives next week, after that.. i gotta live with it :-))

Dan McIntyre
Aug-30-2007, 3:27pm
My Gloucester is still amazing to me and everyone that hears it. I was one of the fortunate ones to get this one in set up very nicely. I ordered the Hammonton first and got it in and had to do some set up on it. In fact, the bridge was loose and not in position. After reading the early reviews, I ordered the Gloucester and had both of them here at home for a few days. I preferrred the sound and looks of the Gloucester so I sent the Hammonton back. I just put new strings on the Gloucester (J74's) and it's a little lounder with more bark. Still has that wonderful, woody tone and it seems to be playing in more and more every day. I just returned from a great Bluegrass Festival in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I got to jam some in the park and everyone that heard it and played it was very surprised.

Kero
Aug-31-2007, 8:06am
The new cumberland is on..more volume, better sustain on highs..i still have to sand it a wee bit more, but it is worth every penny..

Rick Cadger
Aug-31-2007, 10:16am
hmm. i might be tempted to upgrade the bridge, but the stock one is pretty sound, and mine is such a vaccuum fit i doubt i'd see much improvement.

DryBones
Aug-31-2007, 10:38am
The new cumberland is on..more volume, better sustain on highs..i still have to sand it a wee bit more, but it is worth every penny..
sounds like you have spent as much in upgrades as you did on the mandolin! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Still probably a good investment, sounds good!

Kero
Aug-31-2007, 10:43am
[quote=Kero,Aug. 31 2007, 09:06]
anything to keep me away from MAS...:-)

Rick Cadger
Sep-03-2007, 10:49am
dammit, my MAS has kicked in again. Expecting to order something in the next week or so that's gonna cost about 6 times more than my Fullerton did...

keeping the Gloucester though!

arbarnhart
Sep-12-2007, 2:20pm
dammit, my MAS has kicked in again. Expecting to order something in the next week or so that's gonna cost about 6 times more than my Fullerton did...

keeping the Gloucester though!
I figure that's about the break even point to get similar quality in a name brand (I paid about 1/6 of a grand).

tkdboyd
Sep-12-2007, 2:53pm
I have been playing my Gloucester for about 3 months and for the price I paid, a little under 180.00, no set up besides my own initial lowering of the bridge and now about 7 sets of stings (using D'ADDARIO EXP74 now-love them!)I wouldn't sell it for twice the money I have in it. I think I can let go of it long enough to take out to my local luthier to swap the nut to bone, and do a general once over on the frets and what not.

I am actually watching Gloucester on eBay to add to my existing herd. I am feeling a little guilty about buying another one. They would be such a great starter (or a bad weather festival type) mandolin that I wonder if I shouldn't let someone get it that doesn't have a decent player.

Dave Cowles
Sep-12-2007, 3:00pm
I keep thinking I'll put mine up for sale and, of the two Fullertons, just keep the Hammonton. Then I pick it up and play it a bit, and it stays put. Still better than any other I've played for under $1000.

Dave

mando83
Sep-12-2007, 3:59pm
Okay, okay, y'all done done it now!!!

Where do I get a nice blonde one like the fellow in the You Tube Video! Sounds good for a couple hundred bucks! Be a great mandolin to teach folks on.

How much? where? All that good stuff. I"VE GOT TO HAVE IT!!!

Rick Cadger
Sep-12-2007, 4:09pm
changed my mind about a bridge upgrade after trying one off another mando. it did make a difference, so i'll get a decent bridge and fit it properly.

Dave Cowles
Sep-12-2007, 4:20pm
Mando83, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....&ih=015 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250163590056&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015)

NFI, etc. They pop up from time to time.

Dave

mando83
Sep-12-2007, 4:24pm
aww thanks! You added some enjoyment to my week http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Rick Lindstrom
Sep-12-2007, 4:31pm
I made a Red Henry style bridge for mine, and holy cow, what a difference it made. I love this mandolin.

Rick

tkdboyd
Sep-13-2007, 9:50am
I guess I don't have to worry about buying that Gloucester on eBay and feeling guilty. It is already over what I paid for mine. I was hoping to get a steal at little over 100.00!

Glad someone else will get some good use out of it!

Thundercranium
Sep-13-2007, 5:38pm
I have one for sale in the MC classified section for $240 inc hard case, strap and capo - it's not mine (that is NOT for sale) but one I encouraged a friend to buy.

arbarnhart
Sep-18-2007, 3:23pm
I made a Red Henry style bridge for mine, and holy cow, what a difference it made. I love this mandolin.

Rick
Did you use the "standard" template or make some adjustments? I made one for the Washburn I used to have and I had mixed feelings. It was louder but a little harsher.

Rick Lindstrom
Sep-19-2007, 6:35am
The bridge I made was just the standard 11 hole model that Red gives a template for. It was cusomized only in the sense that I fit it to the top and reduced the height to get the proper actions. I shaped and compensated it to his specifictions.

It took a few days for the mando to settle in with the new bridge, but it just keeps getting better. These Gloucesters are amazing instruments, especially for $200.

Rick

Dave Cowles
Sep-19-2007, 3:43pm
I've been playing mine steadily for the last 3-4 days, with its factory bridge intact. After I've left it in the case for a few weeks at a time, and give my attention to my 3 other mandos, I take it out and am once again struck by the Gloucester's attraction. For songs like Nellie Kane or other O'Brien type pieces, it is perfect.

Dave
2 Fullerton F's and 2 handbuilt mandos.

lance_wallen
Sep-25-2007, 5:47pm
From what I've read the Gloucester mandos apparently had some sorta fire sale, people talk like they're not around anymore though... are they not available for purchase any longer?

MikeEdgerton
Sep-25-2007, 5:57pm
The entire Fullerton line was closed out by Music123. The Gloucesters were sold at a deep discount price. They are available used for more than they sold for new.

lance_wallen
Sep-25-2007, 9:16pm
ahh, damn.

I'm leaning more towards OM but my friend plays his mando and loves it... but its a terrible mistress, his mandolin is some no name thing he got for like 45 bucks on Ebay and I personally think he got robbed. Even a good set up wont make the thing "comfortable" to play and its overall tone is very dead sounding, almost muted. 0 sustain, even for a mandolin and no matter how I fiddle with it I can't get it in tune with itself, it ends up wonky on the harmonics. (Assuming you can check instrument intonation like a guitar by checking the 12th fret harmonic against the 12th fret note.)

MikeEdgerton
Sep-25-2007, 11:10pm
his mandolin is some no name thing he got for like 45 bucks on Ebay and I personally think he got robbed

When the shipping costs more than the mandolin is worth my feeling is that you shy away from it.....

lance_wallen
Sep-26-2007, 6:54am
his mandolin is some no name thing he got for like 45 bucks on Ebay and I personally think he got robbed

When the shipping costs more than the mandolin is worth my feeling is that you shy away from it.....
well, at the time he just saw "hey, that looks good and doesn't cost much!"

I'm the guy that comes and reads forums and reviews for 2 months before buying a 7 dollar whistle, he's the one that goes "Hey, new toy!"

On the other side of that coin, he did get a really decent Mandola on ebay, it's not a name I recognize (or remember atm) but it plays well and is really pretty looking.

John H.
Sep-30-2007, 7:28pm
Hey all,
I bought one of the last Fullerton Gloucester mandos from music123 earlier this year.
There were 3 left,and the salesman said 2 of then were "not very good", so I told him to send me the best that he had, especially knowing their return policy.
When it finally got to me, I could'nt believe my ears,it sounded and played wonderfull, especially since I was banging on a "not very good" Kentucky 380s that sounded so tinny compared to the Fullerton.
The only thing wrong with it was that the treble side bridge foot is ever so slightly
sunken into the top, hardly noticable,and it hasn't moved since the day I got it!!
This is my first post. This site is the best!!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dave Cowles
Oct-06-2007, 2:26pm
Well, since my Gloucester is only one of a handful of mandolins (and guitars) lying around within an arm's reach here in my computer-cum-music room, it didn't get enough play time to require a string change until now. This morning I put on a set of Martin 80-20 Bluegrass strings I'd had lying around. The are pretty light gauge (.011-.038)and I thought they might improve the playability of the Fullerton just a bit. They are absolutely perfect. And did they ever spark up the sound of this thing. The factory strings were no doubt Asian PBs of some indeterminate gauge, and these light 80-20s just make the F9 wannabe sing. Once more I'm convinced this cheapo is a keep-o. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dave

Jim Broyles
Oct-06-2007, 3:13pm
Dave, I tried lighter strings on my Gloucester and they killed the tone. Mine does her best with Gibson Bill Monroes on her - .011 -.015 - .026 - .041.

Dave Cowles
Oct-07-2007, 9:18am
Jim, these lighter strings didn't take anything away from the sound on mine, but the low end may have lost a smidgeon of volume. I'll play them for a while, then maybe go back to .040 gauge, but I definitely think I'll stick with the 80-20s on the Gloucester for a bit. I have enough sets of J74s around, I'm sure they'll get a go at it too, at some point. Maybe there just aren't any strings that sound bad on this thing....
Dave

Kero
Oct-09-2007, 7:44am

Rick
I have it rough, i'll set it up today..:-)

Jim Broyles
Oct-09-2007, 3:05pm
Was that to me, Jim?

Kero
Oct-09-2007, 5:15pm

Rick
I have it rough, i'll set it up today..:-)
no real gain - same as the cumberland bridge, maybe a tad louder..

Steve Davis
Oct-09-2007, 5:29pm
The price is right though.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Rick Lindstrom
Oct-11-2007, 5:11pm
Re: the Red Henry Bridge-

Kero-

Give it as few days and play it in good. It took me about a week to realize how it had changed.

As an aside, I made another bridge of the same type out of a piece of purpleheart I had laying around, and it doesn't sound nearly as good as the maple one.

Rick

Kero
Nov-16-2007, 2:23pm
Re: the Red Henry Bridge-

Kero-

Give it as few days and play it in good. It took me about a week to realize how it had changed.

As an aside, I made another bridge of the same type out of a piece of purpleheart I had laying around, and it doesn't sound nearly as good as the maple one.

Rick
I have it back on, it is a helluva lot better now, both tone and volume...what did you use to finish yours?

Rick Lindstrom
Nov-16-2007, 7:19pm
Kero-

I didn't use anything to finish it- I just put it on and played. The top edge turned green pretty quick from where my palm brushes it a bit when I play http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

If you want to finish it, I feel like a light coat of some type of wiped on finish would be good- just enough to seal it so it doesn't turn green on you. I probably wouldn't put any on the bottom of the feet where the bridge contacts the top.

As an aside, I built a second RH bridge for the Gloucester, and added the cuts that go into the outer hole on each end of the bridge. I think Red calls it a winged bridge, but I call it a "free foot" bridge because the effect of those cuts is to allow the bridge feet to be more flexible and transmit more vibes to the top (or at least transmit differently) to my ears, it sounds better. I'll try to post a pic if you're interested.

Rick

ejkauf99
Nov-16-2007, 7:43pm
I've had my Gloucester for about 6 months now, and I'm pleased with playability, and sound. I put a set of Martin lights on it, and lost some volume. They were the only strings Guitar center had, and mine were absolutely dead. The only issue I have is the the headstock veneer is shrinking away from the maple headstock. If the veneer falls off I'll make a new one.
I'll be bringing it with me to Poland Christmas, and New Years.
ED

jim simpson
Nov-16-2007, 9:54pm
"Once more I'm convinced this cheapo is a keep-o" Dave

Dave,
What a great line!

I was gifted some lighter strings than what I usually use on my Daley. I think I will try them on the Fullerton.

Jim

To jbmando,
How's the Washington House Jam going?

Kero
Nov-19-2007, 12:25pm
Kero- I'll try to post a pic if you're interested.

Rick
Please do so..:-)

Rick Lindstrom
Nov-20-2007, 8:37pm
Kero-

Here's a slightly out of focus picture of the free foot bridge. The cuts are easy to do, and I think is does make a difference. YMMV.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Rick

Lee Callicutt
Nov-20-2007, 9:36pm
That's a nice looking bridge, Rick.

powercat
Nov-20-2007, 10:26pm
I had the balsa wood bridge http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif that my Gloucester came with replaced with a Randy Wood ebony bridge and it has made all the difference in the world. I didn't realize how cheap that wood looked until I compared the ebony to it.

Kero
Nov-22-2007, 5:57am
Kero-

Rick
Very nice! I see you got some sycamore maple, i just ordered a blank piece from Red, i could not find any locally...

Jim Broyles
Nov-22-2007, 6:32am
Jim - don't put those lighter strings on your Gloucester. Volume and tone killer supreme, IMO. I missed the last two jams due to work, but it has been a lot of fun. One night we had three mandolins going with me, Ray and Fred. We miss you and keep hoping you'll sneak in some Tuesday and surprise us.

Rick Lindstrom
Nov-22-2007, 8:35am
Kero-

I don't know what kind of maple it is- just a chunk I bought for a dollar or two from the cutoff bin at a WoodCraft store.

Woodcraft sells several varieties of maple, and they offer a 3x3x12 piece of hard maple for $13.00. From a chunk that size I imagine you'd be able to get quite a few nicely quartersawn blanks.

Rick

jim simpson
Nov-22-2007, 11:40am
Thanks Jim,

I'll stick with the J74's then, I'll save the light ones for an old repair project mando.
I just might sneak in at the jam someday.

Jim

billkilpatrick
Nov-25-2007, 1:18pm
i'd love to be able to contribute to this thread ... and if clyde miller, from las cruces, new mexico were to respond to either of the replies i've made so far in response to the classified ad he currently has here at the cafe, for the sale of a beautiful looking, fullerton gloucester, i might be able to!

anyone in contact with mr. miller, willing to ask him to get in touch?

- bill

Rick Lindstrom
Nov-25-2007, 3:58pm
i'd love to be able to contribute to this thread ... and if clyde miller, from las cruces, new mexico were to respond to either of the replies i've made so far in response to the classified ad he currently has here at the cafe, for the sale of a beautiful looking, fullerton gloucester, i might be able to!

anyone in contact with mr. miller, willing to ask him to get in touch?

- bill
Not to worry Bill- mandolins are like buses- if you miss this one, another will be along shortly.

Seriously, if the guy in NM doesn't contact you, Gloucesters have been showing up in the classifieds on a fairly regular schedule lately.

Rick

no tyme flat
Nov-25-2007, 4:43pm
I own 2 fullertons. one stock off the self one that I bought for my son, great mando. another found on ebay after reading this topic last year. It's set up with allen tail piece and grover tuners. Sounds great but have become mando heavey according to my wife and must thin down. Any interest let me know. All said, thumbs up for a good mandolin.

Yeti
Nov-27-2007, 12:09pm
There is a fullerton hammonton on ebay right now.
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Fullerton-Mandolin-All-Solid-Woods_W0QQitemZ290184812375QQihZ019QQcategoryZ308Q QssPageName
ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Fullert....iewItem</a>