PDA

View Full Version : Lovely old strad-o-lin mandolin

Bernie Daniel
Aug-08-2007, 5:29pm
Way cool old 40's Strad-o-line mando sold on ebaby today - it was amplified so I decided not to bid on it as I already have an amplified mando. #

But I'm going to buy one of these old gems one of these days.

I thought the winning bid was fair. #Other thoughts on its value?

Strad-o-lin (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190137238476&ssPageName=ADME:B:TB6:US:2)

MikeEdgerton
Aug-08-2007, 5:58pm
I dearly and truly love old Strad-O-Lins. The prices on these are really all over the place. That was a very common Strad-O-Lin model. I'm assuming that the person that bought it wanted the electronics as much as the mandolin. I wouldn't have gone that high. You can generally find them for half that with the original tuners and a real case.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-08-2007, 6:11pm
MikeEdgerton: I'm assuming that the person that bought it wanted the electronics as much as the mandolin. I wouldn't have gone that high. You can generally find them for half that with the original tuners and a real case.

I am sure you are right about that. Those Schatten Design pro-model transducers are really nice. You really do not need a pre-amp and the volume control built into the pick up is really handy. I think that pick up on the mando itself is more than $170 actually.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-08-2007, 6:16pm
I've posted this before but I'll do it again. This is my Strad-O-Lin.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-08-2007, 6:17pm
And the top

allenhopkins
Aug-08-2007, 8:23pm
Don't think the price was excessive given the installed pickup, the general good condition, and the "extras" (soft case, spare strings).

You can pick up Strad-O-Lins for less (Elderly has two for sale, and the one that "needs work" is under $200). A beauty like Mike E's would go for more. Mine I paid $25 for, with a canvas "case" and a BIG crack in the front, extensive finish checking etc. Cost me $100 or so to get it playable, the hell with cosmetics. I've had it 15 years and it goes everywhere I'd rather not risk a "good" mandolin. I've jammed, recorded, performed and busked with it. Paul Prestopino uses his faithful Strad-O-Lin when he tours with Peter, Paul & Mary. They're underrated, sturdy, funky, decent journeyman instruments, and I unhesitatingly recommend them to people looking for a good low-priced mandolin.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-08-2007, 8:41pm
I paid $52.00 for mine http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

DryBones
Aug-08-2007, 8:49pm
Mike,
Tell me about that pickguard!

PatrickM
Aug-08-2007, 9:02pm
My "Strad" is dated Oct. 4, 1935 and it laughs at most f-hole Gibson A's I've heard. I had to pay $195 for it on eBay but it has been worth every penny. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

MikeEdgerton
Aug-08-2007, 9:12pm
They used some very nice plastic on the pickguard. The more deluxe models also had a matching piece of plastic on that covered the tailpiece. Under that tailpiece is a standard Waverly Cloud type cover. The plastic is held on by two very fine rivets. I've never been able to find plastic like this any where.

DryBones
Aug-08-2007, 9:27pm
so its original? cool, thought it was an aftermarket add on. thanks for the info.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-09-2007, 7:14am
No, that was the way they made them. The more deluxe Strad-O-Lin genre mandolins had the matching pickguard and tailpiece cover. I say genre because these were sold with different brand names on them. Strad-O-Lin was a marketing company not a manufacturer. They farmed the building out.

bsnider
Aug-21-2007, 3:50pm
I have a question for my fellow Strad-O-Philes: Have you found that the fancier solid-top models sound better than the plainer ones, or are the differences only in level of finish? I expect that the mahogany-ply models sound different from those with solid spruce tops; I'm curious about differences among the latter.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-21-2007, 4:55pm
The solid wood models sound better than the cheaper laminated models. Some of them have flat backs as well. The brand name does not guarantee it to be a nice sounding mandolin. The banjo player in my band has a spruce top, maple back and side model that is plain next to mine. Painted on binding, etc. and it sounds great.

jim simpson
Aug-21-2007, 9:36pm
Mike,

That is a beautiful pickguard. I can see why one would think it was added. It looks like the Tortis guards from Greven.
Check out the pickguard on a no-name guitar that my nephew gave me. It needs it's belly reduced (don't we all?)and some cracks fixed.

Jim

jim simpson
Aug-21-2007, 9:37pm
Here's the rest of the guitar:

MikeEdgerton
Aug-21-2007, 10:44pm
That's a good looking pickguard actually. I've actually been messing with making my own plastic to see if I can duplicate these. Thus far it's been a strange experience.

allenhopkins
Aug-21-2007, 11:02pm
I assume those are what are termed "firestripe" pickguards in vintage instrument dealer parlance?

jim simpson
Aug-21-2007, 11:51pm
Yes, firestripe is correct. There can be quite a variety of what is considered firestripe. Some of my favorites were on old Epiphones and Gibsons.
Here is a Greven firestripe: