PDA

View Full Version : Brahms

Dolamon
May-23-2004, 10:11pm
But - don't know if any of his remarkable output is playable / suitable for Mandolin or mandola. Any suggestions or ... anyone know of any adaptations of his music for frets?

Suggestions and sources will be appreciated.

RSW
May-24-2004, 12:37am
There is a short Waltz arranged by Carlo Filippis by Brahms which I have and will make available shortly. Evan Marshall made his own arrangements of a couple of the Hungarian dances. The music of Brahms and other great composers of this era is wonderful on any instrument assuming, of course, a certain amount of adaption to the specific instrument.

vkioulaphides
May-24-2004, 6:51am
Well, Dion, your question may hinge on the critical difference between "playable" and performable: I have toyed pleasantly with Brahms' Sonata for Violin and Piano in G major— as I am sure others may have also done with the D minor and A major. Great fun, great instructional value as to the great master's wonderful writing— for the violin.

My point, skeptical as always, is whether this work would be successfully performable on mandolin and piano, as opposed to the original medium. I just don't know... At the same time I have no interest in getting in the crossfire between purists and the pro-transcription crowd. All I am saying is that I don't know whether I would ever care to hear the Brahms G-major on mandolin; my bias, entirely. Maybe it is because I grew up on Oistrakh's marvelous and classic recordings of all three sonatas; the affinity of repertoire and instrument is forever ingrained in my consciousness since earliest infancy.

Plamen Ivanov
May-25-2004, 12:45am
An arrangement of his Hungarian Dance #6 was included in a Czech (I think) book with popular classical pieces, intended to be performed on mandolin. I played this piece on the exam for joining the mandolin orchestra 18 years ago...
Simon Meyer plays the HD #1. Nr. 5 is also often performed.

Jim Garber
May-25-2004, 3:25pm
I love the Brahms Sextets but I have a feeling the the sustain of the violins would have to translate into relentless tremelo.

Jim

bratsche
May-26-2004, 12:36am
Ewwwww! (shudder) For the life of me, I cannot imagine mando-tremolo doing anything whatever to "enhance" the Sextets. I'm afraid I must side with puristic snobbery on this one. LOL! I love all things Brahms (even one of my cats is named after him!) But to thusly interpret the sublime sustained harmonies found in any of Brahms' chamber music, where he shines the brightest in my view, would be tantamount to sacrilege. The Hungarian Dances, perhaps... Hmmmmm.

bratsche http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif