PDA

View Full Version : Electric Mandola Recommendation

Hoyt
May-23-2004, 11:02am
Need some recommendations.

It looks like I may have to get an electric mandola custom built. I've posted in the classifieds for the availability of a used instrument, but haven't gotten any responses.

I want an instrument with at least a 16" scale length for CGDA tuning. My preference is for an 8 string, but I will consider builders that only make 4 and 5 stringers. My budget is $ 500 - $ 2000.

I currently have a 1960s Kingston electric mandola. It's not a bad instrument, especially considering what I paid for it. I really like the sound of an electric instrument and would like to get something of higher quality. The Kingston has proven almost impossible to intonate with all 8 strings, but it's pretty reasonable and fun with 4 strings. While the fret work is tolerable, I want something better in that respect as well.

Build time is also a concern. I can probably wait 6 months, but I’m too old (and impatient) to wait much longer.

I attempt to play all kinds of music, but I like to experiment with effects, distortion, tube amps, etc. I play and like, the following acoustic mandolins/dolas/octaves: Flatiron, Weber, Old Wave.

Any recommendations or comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Hoyt

mikeomando
May-23-2004, 8:14pm
Are you talking a 16" overall length from the nut to the bridge, or a 16" scale length from the nut to the 12th fret?

Hoyt
May-23-2004, 11:19pm
Mike,

I meant 16" nut to the bridge. That's the shortest I'm really interested in playing. My acoustic dola is 17" and that would be perfect.

Thanks, Hoyt

mrmando
May-24-2004, 11:28am
Joseph Yanuziello is building an 18" 8-string electric mandola for $1800 Canadian.

Here's the skinny:

http://yanuziello.com/electrics.htm

I can endorse Joe's instruments without reservation. I play one of his 8-string e-mandolins and it's a sweet little axe.

Hoyt
May-24-2004, 12:11pm
Mrmando,

Perfect timing. I talked to him this morning and it sounds exactly like what I want -- longer scale and he can do some cool things with colors.

Anyway, your recommendation seals the deal and I'm going to get him a money order off tomorrow for a deposit.

He indicates it will be ready to ship by mid-September. That's pretty good turnaround.

Thanks for your recommendation. Hoyt