PDA

View Full Version : Passernig

Scott Tichenor
Aug-02-2007, 8:55pm
Received a couple of photos from Stefan Passernig today to add to the Eye Candy and his builder database record. Two photos follow: one is a fairly traditional looking F, and the second an innovative design that is worth a look. No financial interest, just think his work is interesting and the attention to detail is impressive.

Scott Tichenor
Aug-02-2007, 8:55pm
And for something a little different, background not cut out here:

JimRichter
Aug-02-2007, 9:38pm
If Salvador Dali was a mandolin luthier . . . .

Mike Buesseler
Aug-02-2007, 9:39pm
Wow! That is unusual...I wasn't sure I liked it at all, at first glance, but the design get easier and easier on the eyes. I didn't like my first F5, either. (Still don't, sometimes.) Luthiers really take big risks when they play with such iconic designs. I admire Stefan's fine work here.

pathfinder
Aug-02-2007, 9:39pm
Funky! #Peghead looks like it succumbed to a couple of 'through and through' slugs. #And that scroll would definitely take some time to adjust to. #
Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it sounds good.

JEStanek
Aug-02-2007, 9:51pm
Very interesting. It looks like a haute couteur version of the reverse scroll mandolins. Very interesting, indeed.

Jamie

Fretbear
Aug-02-2007, 11:15pm
Love the body; the peghead looks alittle "shot-up"...

Mandolusional
Aug-02-2007, 11:20pm
I like how sleek it looks and how the scroll tapers compared to a traditional F5 scroll. #I really admire new designs and the way more builders seem to be experimenting with custom aesthetics.

Elliot Luber
Aug-03-2007, 7:50am
That's great, if you get tired of picking it, you can get a bow.

fwoompf
Aug-03-2007, 8:20am
Reminds me of some of the stuff from that thread about the class at Rice university. Sweet!

AlanN
Aug-03-2007, 8:31am
Wow, think I'll take a bite out of my swiss cheese sandwich now http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

sgarrity
Aug-03-2007, 9:13am
I like seeing builders trying to do something different. Personally, I like the headstock. The bite outta the side?? Not so much. It kinda reminds me of the Giacomel mando. Do this one as a funky two pointer and I think you'd have something pretty cool.

davestem
Aug-03-2007, 9:34am
That pickguard looks cool!

pickinNgrinnin
Aug-03-2007, 9:57am
Stephan does incredible work. His Mandolins are top drawer in every respect. I've heard he is building full time now. I'm sure that is good news to the folks waiting to get their hands on one of his Mandos. Very fine Mandolin building going on in Austin these days.

tterral
Aug-03-2007, 4:00pm
Jason from SMG just called and told me that I am the lucky owner of the 1st of Stephan's mandolins Scott is showing. The second one has a major funk factor, which is growiong on me. Tom Ellis evidently played the second one and said it sounded great.

SMG is going to be sending the mando out on Monday, can't wait - sounded great over the phone?!?!?!?

tterral
Aug-06-2007, 4:46pm
I wanted to add that if you look at the bridge on the first mando, Stephan has put two bone inserts under the E and A strings. I calledd SMG over the weekend and had them play it for me again (over the phone) and I was suprised how clear it sounded up the neck on the E and A strings. Maybe Stephan is on to something here.

Chomping at the bit to get it!

Will Kimble
Aug-06-2007, 8:15pm
Love it!

Will