PDA

View Full Version : Gillian welch

Jonas
Aug-02-2007, 4:43am
Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings gave their first ever concert on swedish soil last night, in the beautiful China Theatre in Stockholm. The evening was absolutely incredible. I can't think of a better venue for them to play, and the audience was certainly there to listen, Dave and Gillian had everyone's undivided attention.

They did two sets with a brief intermission in between, and they did a bunch of good tunes. Besides their own songs they played quite a few covers and traditionals, including Daniel Had the Key to the Kingdom, I'll Fly Away, Black Star, Jackson, Big Rock Candy Mountain (by David) and more that I can't think of right now. The sound was excellent. Gillian played banjo and harmonica to one of her tunes and it was pretty weird but very nice. Dave was all over that little guitar and really tore it up, I can really hear the Monroe influence in his playing. It's almost as if he doesn't play guitar but has made up an entirely new instrument, since his Epiphone doesn't really sound like any other guitar and he plays it in such a unique style. He really is a phenomenon in his own right.

There were standing ovations from the crowd and they did two encores, ending the show by playing Long Black Veil purely acoustic without the mics and speakers. It was pure magic. I can't tell you how glad I am that I had the opportunity to catch them, it was a special moment for many in the audience I think. Good time had by all.

I can't think of any thing that would have made the concert better, it was spectacular. (Well, if they had played a third set with special guests Mike Compton and Stuart Duncan, that would have been pretty wild. Keep dreaming... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif #)

(Not sure if this belongs in the 'bluegrass section' but anyway...)

kyblue
Aug-02-2007, 7:14am
I hope to find an opportunity to hear them live one day. I feel the same about Rawlings playing, I love the sound he gets out of that guitar. And, love the songs they write.

Paula

Perry
Aug-02-2007, 7:57am
I feel the same about Rawlings playing, I love the sound he gets out of that guitar.

Ditto

Michael H Geimer
Aug-02-2007, 11:40am
I'm glad you finally got to see them live. What a great act!