PDA

View Full Version : Peter ostroushko a4

Gavin Baird
Aug-01-2007, 2:43pm
Peter Ostroushko A4, Englemann Spruce top and Big Leaf Maple Back, Stainless Steel frets, James tail piece, Sun Flower inlay and Varnish finish. Wood from a place on the West coast, Some guy named "Spruce"....G

Gavin Baird
Aug-01-2007, 2:44pm
Back View

Gavin Baird
Aug-01-2007, 2:46pm
Head Stock

Steve Cantrell
Aug-01-2007, 2:49pm
Awesome work, Gavin. These mandos have the tone. Peter's sounds great.

Spruce
Aug-01-2007, 4:08pm
Whoa... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

billhay4
Aug-01-2007, 4:47pm
Beautiful instrument.
Bill

sean parker
Aug-01-2007, 11:05pm
amazing. at the cafe, i see lots of beautiful instruments, but this one has really got something special.

Jon Hall
Aug-01-2007, 11:18pm
That is a beautiful instrument. I can only imagine what it would sound like if Peter was tremeloing one of his pieces on it.

pjlama
Aug-02-2007, 12:20am
Yes, very unusual but in a good way. There's something quite pleasing about it, kinda hard to quantify, maybe the contrast between the square end of the fingerboard against the oval hole. Great color as well.

F5G WIZ
Aug-02-2007, 2:21am
Very nice! I have SS frets on mine and I love them!

mehrsam
Aug-02-2007, 7:13am
Does it have Peter's mojo built in?

Bill James
Aug-02-2007, 7:25am
I just love Gavin's mandolins. A few years ago he posted images of a Peter O he did with an Egg Plant color that was amazing, as is this one. Very nice.

If I only had one of Gavin's mandolins and one of Joe Cleary's my life would be complete. Well..almost..

Darryl Wolfe
Aug-02-2007, 11:19am
wow, that is beautiful Gavin

jasona
Aug-02-2007, 9:51pm
You said it Darryl.

JEStanek
Aug-02-2007, 9:58pm
I like your style! Nice and original, beautiful.

Jamie

amowry
Aug-02-2007, 11:42pm
Sweet!

steve V. johnson
Aug-04-2007, 10:49am
That is -splendid-! #Thanks!

The neck looks very straight, that is, it looks as though it doesn't taper, doesn't get much wider from the nut to the body joint.
Is that right, or am I hallucinating (again http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ) ?

How wide is the nut?

I love the top color, too.

Thanks very much!

stv

Amandalyn
Aug-04-2007, 12:02pm
Beautiful work-
The Oval hole seems small- how does that affect the tone?

MandoSquirrel
Aug-04-2007, 1:14pm
That is -splendid-! Thanks!

The neck looks very straight, that is, it looks as though it doesn't taper, doesn't get much wider from the nut to the body joint.
Is that right, or am I hallucinating (again http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ) ?

How wide is the nut?

I love the top color, too.

Thanks very much!

stv
Could be an effect of the pic angle.

Gavin Baird
Aug-08-2007, 2:12pm
Thank you all who posted. I just got back into town and will try to answer the questions...The neck tapers from 1,250" at the nut to 1.562" at the 12th fret; with respect to the size of the oval hole,it is as per Peter's specs. and it has a very good low frequency response. All my oval hole Mandolins have the same opening configuration...I think it has the Peter O sound hidden in its inner workings....Thanks again for your kind words....Gavin
...Opening configured towards an ellipse..1.350" minor, 2.360" major...g

Yonkle
Aug-24-2007, 1:51am
Man that chair is killer... oh yeah and the mandolin, normally I dont care for a non traditional look, but you just changed my mind! That thing is beautiful. It say varnish finish, yet it looks almost like a satin finish, can you share more about the finish or to be blunt "tell me how to get that look"!
Great job, love the sunflower too, everything is simple but elegant, very classy looking mando Jd

JeffD
Aug-24-2007, 10:17am
Just beautiful. traditional sure, but just enough departure to be interesting. I really love it.

Love to know how it sounds.