PDA

View Full Version : Rockygrass--a short report

Don Grieser
Jul-31-2007, 8:32am
I got back from RockyGrass last night and thought I'd give a short report. The most amazing mandolin set was Jesse MeReynolds, Sam Bush, and David Grisman playing together on stage and Sam and David getting Jesse to explain his crosspicking and split string techniques. They played some great tunes, too, including Johnny B Good. Apparently Jim and Jesse recorded a whole CD of Chuck Berry tunes a long time ago called "Berry Picking Time" or something like that. It's on my list to get as is his new one (soon to be released) of Greatful Dead songs. Jesse sang an incredible "Black Muddy Water" during his set with the Virginia Boys. A very powerful and surprising performance.

I didn't see many of the stage shows but did enjoy Chris Thile's How to Grow a Band show. It got a little "out there" but I appreciate what they are doing in pushing the envelope. They did a great version of "Heart in a Cage."

There was no mandolin on stage during the Laura Love Bluegrass Band set, but it was an immensely entertaining and fun set. Mike Bub was playing bass with her (yes, 2 bassists) and certainly having himself a great time. It was good to see him again.

Sam Bush was on fire as usual. There was a full moon the night he played, so any time there was a short lull, the audience would start howling till he played "Howling at the Moon." I stayed up late for Sammy.

During my wanderings around the festival and campgrounds, I came across Rich Michaud carrying his Dudenbostel back in the vendors tent. I went and got my Gil and we sat down and played a few on each other's instruments. Now that was fun and my first opportunity to play a Dude. The Dude was very Loarish in the mids/highs but seemed way more balanced across all the strings than the MM's I've played. I understand now why the Dudes are so sought after: it was an amazing instrument. Thanks, Rich, I enjoyed it!

A friend of mine, Bob, had his 2003 Gilchrist F there. That was an incredible mandolin with a huge voice and tremendous Gil tone for being only a few years old. It had one of those D log backs, and was beautifully made and just had that total Gil sound and feel which I love so much. Steve Gilchrist keeps getting better and better.

Another friend, Steve, had a brand new Heiden I got to play. I've only played one other Heiden which was also new and that was quite a few years ago. This one knocked me out with how great it was already. Extremely balanced and wonderful everywhere up and down the neck. Really refined tone. Heiden's definitely a top tier builder.

Last, but certainly not least, I got to play my old Red Diamond #100. I've bought and sold a bunch of mandolins, but this is the only one I'd really love to have back. I bought it while waiting for my Gil to be made back in 99, and it's really developed a voice. I played it most of one night at a jam while its owner, Bob, took over the Gil. That was a real treat for me. I'll take it back anytime you want to sell it, Bob.

Also played a nice Montana Flatiron and very good Gibson Wayne Benson, but the 4 above really stood out in my mind.

That's all for now.

Treblemaker
Jul-31-2007, 3:01pm
I caught Don Grieser's Set during the Rockygrass Band Competition and he did a great job - but the competition was steep and a local band, "Spring Creek," from Lyons beat the finalists. This is noteworthy as Spring Creek is the first band to ever triumph in the band competition at both Telluride and Rockygrass in the same year.
I attended the Rockygrass Academy (along with my Smart F5 (#124)) and had a blast.
I split my time 60/40 between bass classes and mandolin. I attended the RGA a few years back as a mando picker and since the mandolin classes were sold out this year (at least on paper) I tried to get as much bass technique info from the likes of Missy Raines (of Claire Lynch's band), Mark Schatz (Nickel Creek), Joel Landsberg (of the Kruger Bros) and Alan Bartram (Del McCoury Band). I got a lot of take home from these sessions and even played mandolin along with Joel Landsberg in the final day's session which covered Swing Theory.
As for the mandolin classes, Thile was the erudite educator of the scene but I learned a lot of cool things from Ronnie McCoury, including how to play Monroe's great old Fiddle Tune - Southern Flavor. Sitting in front of Ronnie is more compelling for the history lessons and stories then his conveyance of mandolin picking.
One stand-out surprise was the excellent and talented teaching of Jason Thomas of the Claire Lynch Band. Jason, who hails from Florida, displayed a wealth of theory, technique and talent, along with an easy going spirit and strong teaching skills devoid of ego or avoidance of notoriety. He conveyed ideas easily and was a joy to learn from.
Jamming at this fest and academy are runs the whole range from top flight scary pro's to average Joes. The weather was clear and fine for four days, then when the fest started Colorado's high summer monsoon effect came in and a few soggy nights ensued. But Saturday night's post Sam Bush, Howling at the moon set brought on a fine moonlit night to jam by. I did a ton of picking till roughly 3 AM 6 of my eight nights in Lyons.
The musical highlights of the Academy were the daily concerts held in the brand new and very intimate Wildflower Pavilion. Monday’s kick off was presented by the Claire Lynch Band with Jason Thomas on mandolin and fiddle along with Missy Raines on bass and Jim Hurst on guitar. Jason did a wonderful time complementing and supporting Claire and playing gorgeous harmony lines and counterpoint alongside Jim and Missy.
Tuesday we witnessed a terrific set by Nickel Creek – and to be 5 feet from Chris Thile is to really know the extremely intense musicality and skill this guy brings to any band. This was non-traditional acoustic music with a taste of bluegrass thrown in and its lack of familiarity made it refreshing.

Wednesday, the lush, heart enlarging talents of the Kruger Brothers descended upon us. The blazing virtuosity of Jens Kruger’s banjo was a lot to contemplate, so the lack of mandolin didn’t really bother me. Uwe’s blazing guitar playing and the tonal beauty and killer runs of Joel Landsberg’s acoustic bass guitar left me feeling moved with emotion. A stand out aspect of this set was their rendering of a new suite for guitar, bass, banjo and symphony. These guys are incredible musicians, singers and people and should not be missed if the opportunity arises. I dig there CDs too.

The final day of the Academy we witnessed the Del McCoury band. This being early in the AM the boys weren’t exactly in their normal states of mind but there was no diminishment in their performance skills and Del makes for a hilarious and gracious host. Late in the set the blazing Rob Ikes performed a couple of amazing tunes with the band including a hot rendition of Reuben’s Train.

The festival was also a mandolin wonderland from the get go. Day one opened with Last year’s band contest winners, Long Road Home. Their set featured great mandolin breaks from Jacob Means of Laramie, Wyoming. Sierra Hull is probably no stranger to anyone reading this and her skills were notably strong. Her singing voice and stage presence were pretty remarkable as well and she can pick guitar as well as any pro to boot. Regrettably I missed Cadillac Sky but heard nothing but good things about them. The Kruger Bros have no mando but made me feel pretty good with their emotionally pumped up repertoire. The How to Grow a band with Bryan Sutton delivered perhaps the greatest, most musically impressive set of the whole week and are, in my opinion a do not miss act. I saw them in San Francisco in February and they have massively improved and represent the best of what is currently out there touring. Between the vocals, dynamics, chops and solid repertoire; this is a band that simply can’t be bested. It’s both intense and accessible.

The last three bands of days one were all armed and dangerous with mandolin skill – Sharon Gilchrist with Peter Rowan was, as usual terrific, though Tony Rice was mysteriously absent with Bryan Sutton Standing in as a more than capable replacement. The David Grisman Bluegrass Experience did a fine job with their California spin on all things bluegrassy. This can’t help but be a good band with Keith Little, Jim Nunally and Chad Manning involved. Nothing much need be said about Del McCoury as they are currently the hottest thing in the industry… Blazing mandolin is an understatement and the conclusion of their set brought out Peter Rowan, David Grisman, and Chris Thile for a romp on Ronnie’s new tune, “Dawg Gone.”

Since I am at work – I will follow up on reports of the final two days of Rockygrass ’07 in another post. Stay tuned and in tune…

Treblemaker
http://www.WorldWIdeTed.com

mandofiddle
Jul-31-2007, 3:40pm
I'm friends with the Spring Creek folks. Those guys (and girl) can flat out pick. They all went down to South Plains College (Bluegrass school) in Texas together as a band a while back. Good pickers, and great humble people. They deserved the win imho.

Dave

Don Grieser
Jul-31-2007, 4:07pm
Hey Ted,

I looked for you after the contest, but missed you somehow. I wanted to check out that Smart and do some jamming. I got in a great jam till 3 in the morning on Sat too. I ran into some folks I knew out at Meadow Park and had way too much fun.

Jason borrowed my friend Bob's 2003 Gil for their set on stage Saturday. I guess something happened to his own mandolin--I can't remember what. I skipped too much music on stage, but I get to see a lot of folks only at RockyGrass so it was fun to catch up since I hadn't been in a couple years.

Don

kyblue
Jul-31-2007, 4:51pm
Tony Rice was mysteriously absent

Not so mysterious, his tour with Alison is pretty well publicized...

Treblemaker
Jul-31-2007, 5:00pm
Spring Creek was IMHO absolutely dominant in the band competition this year.

My qualifications as a freelance judge of talent are that I was in the band contest last year - we took 3rd due to a more than glaring F-up by our leader who hadn't slept and was not on her best foot during the finals...

Nonetheless, having been through the drill once it was easy to discern what the judges would want to see and Spring Creek had it in spades.

Once again IMHO I couldn't find anything that stuck out against Spring Creek during their performances that would have cast any doubt. They had all original material, tight, well rehearsed and powerful vocals with strong, close harmonies, chops to kill, and stop on a dime timing...

Rockygrass is just such a kick ### time...

mandofiddle
Jul-31-2007, 5:26pm
Tony Rice was mysteriously absent

Not so mysterious, his tour with Alison is pretty well publicized...
Hmmm. According to TonyRice.com tour dates, he was supposed to be at Rockygrass. It says his last show with AKUS was in June.

seanonabutton
Jul-31-2007, 5:40pm
i just got back from a grueling drive but my goodness it was worth it! i got there on thursday and the fun started right away with a 4 hour jam with my neighbors. i actually ended up playing so much that i only saw 8 or so bands. i also did the mandolin contest which was a blast and i got a really good response from the bach piece that i played. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Treblemaker
Jul-31-2007, 9:18pm
I had a few nice personal chats with Peter Rowan who couldn't come up with any reason for Tony's absence other than - the road has eaten him alive as of late. I did miss Tony, but Bryan Sutton was pretty terrific....

-Treblemaker

Fretbear
Aug-04-2007, 9:07pm
Tony has tendonitis in one hand and arthritis in the other; there may just be times when it is not smart for him to play through the pain, whatever his schedule says.

Clyde Clevenger
Sep-07-2007, 8:57pm
Did anyone mention that Jake Jolliff won the mandolin contest? Maybe in another thread? He won a new Bush.