PDA

View Full Version : Johnson mandolin how good are they?

sausgirl
Jul-29-2007, 10:23pm
Hello again,
I have been offered a Johnson-Jefferson MA-380 mandolin.
I am just getting back into playing after a 6 yr hiatis.
How good would this one be for me-it is a trade for a guitar.
Thanks,
Jan http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim Broyles
Jul-29-2007, 10:42pm
They are about a $300.00 mandolin, so it might depend on the guitar. Can a seasoned player or competent repair person check it out for you? Johnsons get generally skeptical reviews here, but the ones discussed are usually the really low end ones.

Mando Medic
Jul-30-2007, 8:13am
I have worked on dozens of Johnson mandolins and here's my take on them. Almost everyone of them needed fret work, re; loose frets, high frets, uneven fingerboards etc: The best thing to do before you trade is to take it to someone that is well versed in mandolin setups and have them look at the neck, neck angle, fingerboard and neck joint. They come with a very bad bridge and nut so you will want to consider having them replaced which will cost you about $100 at a minimum, but it will make a huge difference. As for your trade, well that depends on what you're trading in. Used, these mandolins should sell for about $150 plus setup. Kenc

JEStanek
Jul-30-2007, 8:57am
I would recommend trying to get one of the new Kentucky A styles or a used Eastman instead of the Johnson mandolin. The Kentucky line has recently done some real quality improvements. I have a bottom of the line Johnson oval hole $70 new with another 50 in set up work)... It's the one I let my kids beat on.

If you're more serious about getting back into mandolin playing the better Kentucky or used Eastman may serve you better.

Jamie

sausgirl
Jul-30-2007, 11:02am
The trade is for a 1966 Teller Classical guitar.
So it would be pretty even-guitar -mandolin.
Jan

sausgirl
Aug-08-2007, 1:53pm
Thanks for the email on the Johnson mando!
I am getting a Kentucky KM172 A style w/oval hole.
I look forward to seeing it,4-6 weeks from now!
Take care,
Jan:)

woodwizard
Aug-08-2007, 2:28pm
Good for you... that's a good choice over the Johnson. Let us know what you think when you get it.

guitharsis
Aug-09-2007, 7:05am
They look nice. Good choice, Jan.
Doreen

Steve L
Aug-09-2007, 7:31am
Congratulations, Jan. I'm really looking forward to reviews of these Kentucky oval holes as people start to aquire them. Please post and let us know how you like it when it arrives.

sausgirl
Aug-20-2007, 10:43am
Hi all,
Still waiting for the mandolin.
I will let you know when it comes and show some pics!
Take care,
Jan http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif