PDA

View Full Version : Belated thanks

Bob A
May-22-2004, 1:39pm
Since beginning to memorize Beethoven's sonatine in C minor, I've awakened at least three mornings of late, with the music running thru what passes for my mind.

This is a unique experience for me, and one that I rather enjoy. Good to know my pre-conscious self agrees with the rest of me about this piece, and I wish to thank the shade of the late L. von B for his efforts.

I also need to thank the members of this board, whose helpfulness, suggestions and support has contributed in no small degree to this pleasant state of mind. This would never have happened without you.

vkioulaphides
May-22-2004, 3:26pm
An odd point of connection: When I was studying the bass as a teenager, ehm... a while ago #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif , I worked my way through one of those Anthologies for the Double Bass, 101 Double Bass Favorites, etc.— something of the sort. One of the pieces therein contained was... —you guessed it— the Beethoven Sonatina in C minor!

Wherever/whenever I performed this piece (well... 798 octaves lower...), audiences were charmed by it; a piano professor, an authority on Beethoven (at least in his own mind) tried to trace it, looking up all his voluminous sources with great effort and consternation— all in vain.

Who would have thought that, several decades later, I would stumble on this little gem, in its proper medium? Life does work wonders sometimes...

I therefore hereby second Bob's thanks to the great Mr. B., whose muse lives on.

Ali
May-23-2004, 12:52am
Its also commonly played on the 'cello (as is the Theme and Variations in D) - it is in the Grade Syllabus here for 'cello. I've played it at concerts, announced it as being originally for mandolin and someone comes up at the end and tells me I am mistaken and that it was written for 'cello!!!
Oh well......