PDA

View Full Version : Tim o'brien

manicmando
Jul-26-2007, 2:17pm
i really like Tim's playing i only own one of his albums its "Real Time" with Darrell Scott great album does anybody know another of Tim's albums that would have alot of good mandolin work on it ?

luckylarue
Jul-26-2007, 2:21pm
Check out Hot Rize's Untold Stories for some great mando playing, songwriting, harmony singing, etc., etc.

Jim Hilburn
Jul-26-2007, 2:23pm
I'd think for mandolin you'd want to get the Hot Rize stuff. The '96 live record is great. They were really on that night. I remember it well.

blawson
Jul-26-2007, 2:54pm
"Red On Blonde" (Dylan covers)

Also check out Bryan Sutton's "Bluegrass Guitar" -- O'brien on nice mando work there.

Wesley
Jul-26-2007, 2:58pm
I agree on all counts so far. If you want Tim O'Briens "best" mandolin CD you're going to have to buy more than one.

KNP String Band Mando
Jul-26-2007, 3:42pm
Def check out the Hot Rize stuff. "So Long of a Journey" is a live record that is awesome. Tim picks great throughout the shows and especially on "Butchers Dog" and one of my favorites "Collen Malone"

Fretbear
Jul-27-2007, 2:13pm
Hot Rize's "Traditional Ties" is one of the finest modern-old time bluegrass recordings ever made. Tim's scary fiddle playing is all over it, but great mandolin too. Worth the price just to hear the late Charles Sawtelle "drop the bomb" on his old Martin. Don't miss it.

kyblue
Jul-27-2007, 2:27pm
My fave is Real Time with Darrell Scott.

Particularly the mando/dola duet Walk Beside Me.

Paula

jim_n_virginia
Jul-27-2007, 2:58pm
I'm kinda partial to Fiddler's Green, pretty lively CD.

John Rosett
Jul-27-2007, 3:40pm
There's some incredible mandolin playing from the young Tim O'brien on the two Ophelia Swing Band LP's and Tim's first solo album, Guess Who's In Town. I think that all those are out of print.

Dale Ludewig
Jul-27-2007, 6:25pm
That's a tough question. But I do really like Red on Blonde. But then I was in college in the late 60's, if you know what I mean.

Caleb
Jul-27-2007, 7:16pm
Great thread. Tim's the guy that pretty much got me intersted in the mandolin. According to the liner notes, he's the guy playing mandolin on Kate Rusby's brilliant CD 'Underneath the Stars'. Those simple little mandolin parts on those songs really grabbed me. Nothing flashy at all, but just playing for the song. The intro on 'White Cockade' is really good. That little intro alone is what got me to take up the instrument. Strange how something can be so powerful to one person.

I'd like to hear some of his music, but its my understanding that he's more of a Bluegrass player, which I'm not all that into. Does he have any non-BG stuff?

Marcus CA
Jul-27-2007, 8:33pm
I've only heard a few of his albums, but my favorite is The Crossing. It's Celtic, rather than bluegrass, though, so Tim plays bouzouki more than mandolin. Anyway, the album has a really nice feel from start to finish.

Gwilada
Jul-28-2007, 12:25am
You really can't go wrong with Tim. The first Hot Rize disc is probably my favorite BG album of all time. Also, no one has mentioned Traveler yet, another great disc. The song "Turn the Page Again" is worth the price of admission alone.

Michael Wolf
Jul-28-2007, 5:11am
I recommend highly "Two Journeys". It's one of my favorite CDs ever. It's produced in the sense of "The Crossing", which is equally nice. But "Two Journeys" is recorded on the other side of the Atlantic Sea, with Irish musicians and you hear more of Tims Mandolin on this album. Very nice irish tune playing.

Cheers
Michael