PDA

View Full Version : Steve andersen mandolins

pjlama
Jul-26-2007, 12:52am
I've got a jones for an oval 'A'. I went up to Santa Fe today for a concert and played an Andersen A oval and was pretty impressed. Sadly the wife and kids were in the car and there was a bunch of stuff to try so I only had a few minutes with it but I'm seriously considering driving back up to play it some more. Any feedback would be helpful as today was the first day I even heard of Andersen. I did check out his site and learned he's primarily an Archtop guitar guy but this mando was perfectly built and had some stink to it. Fire away.

djweiss
Jul-26-2007, 10:05am
FYI (and NFI), Carmel Music has two Andersen's for sale right now...oval hole and "F" hole...

mrmando
Jul-26-2007, 10:08am
I am still pinching myself to believe that I own an Andersen mandocello. GREAT instruments. Go back and get it.

Spruce
Jul-26-2007, 11:06am
"I am still pinching myself to believe that I own an Andersen mandocello. "

Love to see a pic of that one....

Steve's a great guy and a wonderful maker. He primarily makes archtop guitars these days...

Here's a shot of Steve from Wintergrass a few years ago.....

This mandolin just rocks. Great design and execution....

Spruce
Jul-26-2007, 11:07am
Same instrument....

I love the continuation of the pickguard theme onto the fingerboard....

Spruce
Jul-26-2007, 11:09am
Great workmanship...

bgmando
Jul-26-2007, 6:24pm
Several years ago, my young son and I camped at a bluegrass festival near our home. We went to bed early because of his early grade-school age.
Normally I sleep through the campground jams. But this night, there was a beautiful mandolin just piercing the night air with sound.
The next morning, I found out it was an Anderson F. Great instrument.

Jul-27-2007, 7:32pm
Sam Bush has one, a copy of Hoss made about 25 years ago.