PDA

View Full Version : What i found on my grandmother's attic

MarkN
Jul-25-2007, 9:54am
A mandolin, obviously :-). She told me she bought it here in Holland when she was about 15 years old, which would be around 1947. It has some cracks, one large and one small in the top, and the same goes for the bottom.

I know nothing about mandolins. It's probably very hard, but can anyone tell my something about this instrument? Is there anything I can do about the cracks and how can I prevent the instrument from deteriorating further? (I already saved it from the un-isolated attic..)

Pictures can be found here (http://picasaweb.google.com/marknijland/Mandolin)

Thanks!

Mark

Greenmando
Jul-25-2007, 11:12am
Nice little bowlback.

Welcome to the cafe.

billhay4
Jul-25-2007, 11:39am
The cracks can be fixed, but it will take a good luthier and probably cost a bit. Personally, I'd have it fixed. It looks like a nice instrument.
To keep it from getting worse, it probably need re-humidifying. Does it have a case. If so, put a paper towel in a plastic film canister with some holes punched in it. Wet the towel (not too wet) and put it in the case with the instrument. Re-wet every week or so. This should stop the cracks from getting worse, but the sooner you get it to a luthier, the better.
Good luck,
Bill

allenhopkins
Jul-25-2007, 3:06pm
I associate those marquetry pickguards with German or Eastern European manufacture; appears to have a maple body. I agree with the opinions above: get it restored, structurally if not cosmetically, then string it up and play it!

MarkN
Jul-26-2007, 12:45pm
Thanks all!

Since it was my grandmother's instrument I'm thinking about having it restored. I know my next question will be a tough one, but could someone give me a rough estimate of what this restauration will cost? Another tough question (I think), just out of curiousity, what would my mandolin be worth? Not that I'm planning on selling, ever.
Your opinion will be very much appreciated!
Thanks again,

Mark

ps: any further opinions on the history of the instrument are also more than welcome.

billhay4
Jul-26-2007, 1:41pm
I am guessing here, but I think it will cost more to restore than it will be worth. But no one will be able to give you a good estimate on either until they have more information.
For the restoration, you need to let a luthier actually see it in person so he or she can assess the work needed.
For the value, someone will need to see the label if there is one, or will need more information on who made it, how old it is, etc. Still, bowlbacks re generally not worth thousands of dollars unless they are genuine antiques made by famous luthiers.
FWIW.
Bill