PDA

View Full Version : New spira due mid august

JEStanek
Jul-24-2007, 7:50pm
I've alluded to it in some other threads and feel as though I should show off the work in progress.

This all started a year ago at the Philly-CBOM-o-Rama that Otterly2k and Judith hosted (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=16;t=33632;hl=judith) . One of the instruments there was a Spira mandola and an OM owned by Dolamon that were so beautiful and easy on the hands with a fast neck.

Later that year my wife (a vet who spent a year in Oz as an exchange student) tells me we're going to Australia for a conference. I'm thinking wouldn't a mandolin make the perfect keepsake of the trip. So I end up in contact with Jack Spira (http://www.jackspiraguitars.com/jack.htm) who turns out to be a great, down to earth guy and his schedule will work me in. So we're off. Jack builds a fold-top flat back mandolin. I really loved the look of Paul Cypert's (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=16;t=44826;hl=spira) Spira OM with the wood rosette and native Oz timbers.

So we started with Western Australia Sheoak (Casuarina fraserani)with a similar density to rosewood for the backs and sides.

JEStanek
Jul-24-2007, 7:55pm
And an Engleman spruce top. Since my wife is a vet, and she's helping to fund this venture, and the sheoak has a nice orange color, I figured I would have shapes on it representative of our cats Lilly and Jack (orange tabby and mackerel repsectively). Jack really rose to the challenge and we ended up with a cool shape representative of an eye for the rosette, with sheoak in the center and then Australian Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon). This was getting pretty exciting.

JEStanek
Jul-24-2007, 8:01pm
Jack has really cool rope bindings that I've always thought were pretty so we did that on the top and then Jarrah binding and rope purfling and then Jarrah and rose mahogany on the back and sides.

JEStanek
Jul-24-2007, 8:07pm
We're up to the headstock, which has a really cool curvy snake shape and his "S" logo on top of an ebony overlay and ebony board. That pretty much brings this up to date. I leave for Oz via Quantas cyclone in early August and will have to wait until mid August to pick it up and meet Jack in the flesh. He's been excellent throughout with the communications. He sent me wood through the mail to make back wood choices. And I hope to spend a bit of time hanging out with him in the shop playing 20 questions or something to post an interview on the board somewhere. Thanks for reading so far and I'll post more photos as this beauty progresses.

Don't worry, the chalky white bit at fret 12 is an idea we're working on for some inlay...

Jamie

JEStanek
Jul-24-2007, 8:11pm
I guess on last bit of plans. We're going to use chrome tuners with ebony buttons and we're still working on the tailpiece details. For those willing to go off the beaten path, I whole heartedly encourage commissioning a small builder for an instrument. We've heard far more satisfied stories than frustrated angry ones and having some influence on your instrument is way cool. I'm not expecting me to instantly play better when I get it.. but I'm counting on it punching up my enthusiasm/inspiration a fair bit.

Jamie

DryBones
Jul-24-2007, 8:30pm
that thing is gorgeous and just begging for an Orrico tailpiece! I love the cat eye rosette/soundhole! lucky man, Jamie...enjoy it!

sean parker
Jul-25-2007, 8:04am
jamie, the rosette is amazing.

JEStanek
Jul-25-2007, 8:51am
Sean, If everything goes to plan while I'm in Sydney, you'll get to play it too!

Jamie

red7flag
Jul-25-2007, 11:02am
Jamie, I really like your new instrument. It has great personality. I would love to hear it, especially after getting played in. I love the inlay work. You have a winner.
Tony

otterly2k
Jul-25-2007, 11:32am
Fabulous!!! Excellent collaborative idea on the soundhole design. Re: tailpieces... many ways to go, but I have to say that I think that a "traditional" looking tp would not quite fit the unique design elements of this instrument. Perhaps an Allen MR design or Orrico.

Once you're back stateside, perhaps we'll need to arrange another gathering...*(-; I'd love to have a chance to check this one out in person!

PhilGE
Jul-25-2007, 8:24pm
Very, very nice, Jamie! I'd love to hear what it sounds like. Please post a sound clip when you can.

JEStanek
Jul-25-2007, 9:04pm
Thanks for the comments, folks. Really, all credit goes to Jack Spira for making vague notions come to life. Karen, we can surely arrange a play-date. People would probably hear it's potential with a recording of your playing rather than mine.

I actually have a very firm idea for the tailpiece... the plan is one of John Hamlett's tailpieces in chrome/nickel. It has a lightness of shape and an organic flow that's pretty darn cool.

The latest photo of the fingerboard with frets and dots is below. I like how the cat's tail quotes the S in the headstock.

Jamie

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 11:32am
Sorry its taken a while to get back to being home. I picked up the mandolin at Jack's shop outside Melbourne on the 18th. His part of the world is very pretty. Steep hills with plenty of gum and blackwood trees. Since we were still in the rainy season everything was still green and with the onset of spring plenty of flowers and trees were starting to bloom.

My wife and I met Jack for lunch and to have a chat. First let me say what a nice, talented man Jack is. He worked me into his schedule and delivered the goods! His workshop is pretty spartan, basically about a 12 x 12 room with not a lot of power tools. Here's a shot in the workshop of Jack Spira holding a parlor acoustic bass. Its made to be played just in a kitchen with some other friends. Not real loud but that's the point as I see it. It looked cool too.

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 11:44am
After a nice lunch we took a stroll through the back forty (his landlords pastures) and saw plenty of wombat holes - and a dead one!) blackwood trees about to flower and beautiful rolling hills vistas. After we bade our farewells, I still think Jack's a bit astounded someone from the US came to pick one of his instruments up, we left for more traveling. I attracted quite a crowd in the Melbourne airport at our gate just strumming. Some folks hadn't seen a mando before and a guitar player had a ball pickin on it.

Later in our trip I met up with Sean Parker from the Café in Sydney. He was an excellent host as we strolled through downtown, the Rocks, and the far side of the famous Opera House harbor. We also got a chance to play together. Me, I'm no great picker, I have about 5 chords with slow changes between them and 3-5 tunes that I hadn't played in a month as we were getting ready for the trip. Sean, a very good bluesy guitar/mando picker. So we had a chance to A B the Spira with his Collings MT. Very different sounds from the flat top oval and arch top ff hole instrument. First that Collings is punchy and l o u d with tons of mid range. The Spira had much less mid range and a very rich low and high end. The Collings' sound felt like a boat's prow pushing through me while the Spira's sound felt like water wrapping around me. That's about all I can give you for tonal differences. I would like to thank Sean again for being a great host and for the very pleasant picking time.

So, now I'm home and have popped off some quick shots on the camera. I love this mandolin. I thoroughly enjoyed the build process and working with Jack. Here's the front.

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 11:47am
The Hamlett tailpiece is exactly what I was looking for, so thanks John for your excellent design.

Here's a shot of the back. The sheoak really is that orange and red with a density close to rosewood. What a rich sound!

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 11:50am
Here's a whole shot of the front and then some detail shots...

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 11:51am
Here's the bridge

bradeinhorn
Aug-31-2007, 11:53am
wow, gorgeous jamie. congrats. i love that hamlett tailpiece. think i'll go for one on my voight. how is it string change wise(if you've done that yet).

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 11:53am
I really love the shape of his headstocks. The tuner buttons are ebony. I also like the headstock heel shape underneath, very comfortable in my hand.

edit: The neck is mahogany with an ebony board and overlay on the headstock.

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 11:56am
Here's the headstock from the front.

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 11:58am
It's not really a true flat top. Jack builds his with a fold behind the bridge.

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 12:02pm
Here's one of the inlay at 10 instead of 12. There was a bit more space and this way the cat looks perched at the top... where my cats always like to be.

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 12:05pm
Last one of mine of the soundhole and purfling

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 12:08pm
Jack has been building since he was 17 (he's literally a few days younger than me). He showed my wife an I a zouk that he'd just finished. Wow! The celtic knot work on the board that he did was beautiful. Here's an eye candy in progress of a cittern he's building for someone who wants a very old styled one. It was gorgeous. This photo (low light, hand held, blah blah blah) doesn't do it justice.

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 12:11pm
Thanks for wading through so much text and pictures. I don't have a mic to record it at home. Maybe someday... Those in the Pottstown, PA area are welcome to try it out. I am so excited to have this and play it (I'm focusing on Allan Alexanders Renaissance music when not just goofing around. My MAS is assuaged (for now)... Still have Brian Dean to work with next year... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jamie

Steve Baker
Aug-31-2007, 12:24pm
Jamie

I just discoverd this thread. What a lovely piece of work!

I'm the current guardian of Paul Cypert's Spira OM and was really impressed with your description of the sound. Perhaps you have to hear it to appreciate it but you're right on target. Enjoy your new toy!

Steve Baker
McDonald GOM
Spira bouzouki/OM

billhay4
Aug-31-2007, 1:28pm
Lovely instrument. Very nice workmanship. And the wood!
Bill

JeffD
Aug-31-2007, 2:09pm
Hey Jamie, are you going to the Lake Genero Fiddlin Bear festival? I am planning to go Saturday night - if you are there and dare to bring that beauty, I would love to try it out.

Keith Erickson
Aug-31-2007, 2:30pm
Geez Jamie,

What's going on up in Phili? First it's Karen and now it's you that is adopting all the beautiful mandolins http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

...I must say I dig that headstock http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Best of luck with her

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

JEStanek
Aug-31-2007, 5:09pm
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Brad, I've not yet changed the strings. Jack put some Dunlop 11, 15, 26, 40s phosphor bronze wounds on there. I have some TI mittels and Jazzmando strings to decide which is next. I really prefer the feel of flatwounds. Hopefully they'll sound right on there. As far as changing goes, this tail piece looks even easier than the Eastman/Weber design on the Eastman and much easier than a trad stamped one with all the hooks. The loops attach to the hooks on the sides and there are little T shaped guide posts on the bottom that the string goes under then out the tailpiece. John Hamlett did it very smart.

Steve Baker, you're lucky. If I had the money when Paul had to sell it I would've bought it unplayed. I now feel even more justified in that feeling. Enjoy that one... it was the inspiration behind going with a wooden soundhole rosette. I think this Spira sound is common to flat/cant topped instruments. (I remember playing some Martins when I was at Philly Vintage Instruments and thinking they sounded odd after playing so many arch top Gibsons- I think the lack of midrange was the difference. I've really come to appreciate it as I'm not a huge grasser and I play home alone mostly).

JeffD, I'm sorry, but I will not be up near Scranton/ Lake Genero Fiddlin Bear festival but it looks cool. Have a great time and enjoy good weather.

Kieth, I have only Karen to blame. She even reminded me of the Spiras as an option when I told her about the trip... Huge thanks to Karen. Her Phoenix is sweet looking too. It had to be to give up that Old Wave.

Jamie

james condino
Aug-31-2007, 5:14pm
Fantastic instrument!
__

j.
www.condino.com

sunburst
Aug-31-2007, 5:32pm
Looks like a fine instrument, Jamie! The whole cat theme is pretty unique, and very well done. Congrats!

I'll supply a little info on changing strings. Attaching the strings to the tailpiece is as simple as hooking the loop over a hook, then slipping the string under another hook. The only problem people seem to have is keeping the strings hooked before there is tension on them. I just pull the string up and hold tension while winding it tight and don't have the problem, but I've heard of a trick for those who do have a problem keeping the strings hooked; wedge a toothpick in the little slot in the tailpiece after you hook the string loop, and the loop will stay hooked even if the string is loose.

sean parker
Aug-31-2007, 10:28pm
hi jamie. thanks for the kind words about my playing, and it was a pleasure showing you around some places. my only regret is that we didn't get enough time to do more, and a few days before you got here, forgetting to close my car door before the rain--stinky! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

fellow members....the spira is wonderful, and the photos don't do justice. in person, the custom cat's-eye soundhole makes such an impact. the sound is rich. (i'm an oval hole convert now - my next mando has to have one!) the hamlett tailpiece is the cherry on top. i don't know if jamie mentioned this, but the neck shape is asymmetrical - a mild V offset to one side. i'll let jamie explain that one. ergonomics...that's the term. it's ergonomic.

JEStanek
Sep-01-2007, 8:04am
I was thinking of how to show this... It doesn't photograph well. The drawing below is not to scale but gives an idea. The neck has a U or C shape on the treble side, rounded for the fingers. The bass side has a more V shape that includes a ledge or facet, as Jack calls it, near the fingerboard allowing the thumb to lie in a more comfortable, to me at least, position. I was also noticing how the headstock shape (the heel beneath and the swoop up from the nut are very comfortable places for my thumb when in first position too.

Wasn't my idea. The Dola and OM I played at CBOM-o-Rama at Judith's house last year had them and were very comfortable.

Jamie

PhilGE
Sep-01-2007, 9:49am
I think the credit for this neck shape goes to Dolamon. The shape was to help make it easier to fret due to an old hand injury. I don't believe this is a "standard" neck shape for Jack's instruments. I think it's great others are finding it of use.

Dolamon (Dion) turned me on to Jack back in 2003 after I saw his comments on-line. My mandola is instrument #105 completed in December 2003. Click for pix of the mandola. (http://homepage.mac.com/philg2/SpiraPix/PhotoAlbum19.html) Thanks again, Dion. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Congrats, Jamie! That's a beautiful and creatively designed instrument. I'd love to hear a sound sample when you have the time and technology.

JEStanek
Sep-01-2007, 10:34am
Phil, You are correct. It was Dion's (Dolamon) instruments that led me to like that neck shape. For me it makes sense. This is not Jack's standard neck shape.

On a completely unrelated note... Australia is wonderful. The people were all very open and friendly. It is Scenic and very sparsely populated once you leave the cities. Not much of a bluegrass scene (maybe more of a brown spinafex...) but Melbourne has a large trad/folk music scene. Anyway, if you don't like being mobbed with people (I never even felt that way in the cities) and want to see things found nowhere else on earth fly down under. Don't take my word for it, read Bill Bryson's In a Sunburnt Country (or UK/AU titled Down Under). I was going to towns at a similar time in his book while I read it while there and his descriptions were pretty much spot on.

Jamie

Lee Callicutt
Sep-01-2007, 10:37am
Beautiful work, Jack, and congratulations, Jamie, that's a life-time keepsake and family heirloom, you have there!

Love the side shot!

Mike Buesseler
Sep-01-2007, 12:40pm
Jamie, that is one of the most beautiful mandolins I have ever seen! I know you hear that around the Cafe from a lot of people about a lot of mandolins, but you don't hear it from me much! (OTOH, we are lucky here that we do probably get to see just about the most beautiful instruments on the planet! Congratulations in owning one of them!!)

Oh, and GREAT presentation, story...the whole works!!

Jim MacDaniel
Sep-01-2007, 2:40pm
Very nice -- I especially love the body shape, headstock shape, and headstock profile.

Dan Voight
Sep-01-2007, 4:12pm
Very origional. Keep 'em comming.

sean parker
Sep-03-2007, 9:27am
as jamie has brought the subject of australia - there's apparently a mandolin festival here in sydney next year. i had no idea, and only found out yesterday. i have no idea of what it's like or whatever. nothing. however, it's being held at a great time of the year here (january - middle of summer) and it might interest some members. this is the address http://home.vicnet.net.au/~fameweb/FAMESydney2008.htm