PDA

View Full Version : Campanella mandolins

KNP String Band Mando
Jul-24-2007, 1:20pm
Hey All.

Im seeing is anyone has a photo of their Campanella Mando and what they think of it. #I have only seen the website photos like this one. Thanks

Mark Walker
Jul-24-2007, 7:37pm
I've not seen one - but that picture sure looks like it's crafted with that 'violin' look in the binding and coloration and so on.

From that photo it appears to have the 'florida peninsula' fretboard extension and a pick-guard...

Unique and very nice!

Bob DeVellis
Jul-24-2007, 7:44pm
From the pictures I've seen of these, they're really intriguing. The design is new and classic at the same time and the build quality looks really excellent (to the extent that it can be judged from photos). The top overhang goes back at least as far as the Weymann mandolutes but this seems to be a more refined interpretation of that approach and more inspired by violin design than by the Weymanns. Never seen a Campanella "in the flesh," though I'd love to take an up-close look and see if the sound is as great as the appearance.

JEStanek
Jul-24-2007, 8:17pm
If I'm not mistaken, Joe had one at Rigel fest see thread. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=28374;hl=rigel+and+fes t) Mandohack is seen playing it and may offer some insights (momory withstanding - he gets more toys than Batman!).

Jamie

Jim Garber
Jul-24-2007, 9:27pm
Wonderful pictures posted by Joe on this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=36155;hl=campanella) of a 2-point.

Jim

revray
Jul-24-2007, 10:59pm
If you go to Brian Dean's website www.bfolk.com and check his gallery page you can see pictures of his take on a violin style F4 mandolin. It even has a floating violin inspired tailpiece. Being the owner of said instrument, I can say without hesitation it is a magnificent mandolin. Admittedly not everyone's cup-of-tea but I love it.

Ted Eschliman
Jul-25-2007, 5:44am
Mandohack is seen playing it and may offer some insights (memory withstanding - he gets more toys than Batman!).
Jamie, I AM the Batman...

More info here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_00172.shtml). This was very cool ax. Jamie Masefield (Jazz Mandolin Project) speaks very highly of it.

Bill James
Jul-25-2007, 7:45am
I met Joe and played two of his mandolins last year at IBMA and I'm a huge fan. Please don't ask me to describe tone, I just can't do it but I know what I like and if I had some disposable cash this would be my next purchase. They are wonderful instruments, I hope a few more images pop up.

DryBones
Jul-25-2007, 10:46am
It would be nice if he had some ballpark pricing on his website...but I guess if you have to ask how much than you really can't afford it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

dmo
Jul-26-2007, 2:11pm
I've had an X-brace Campanella two point for about 6 months. Play it every day & love it. A couple things to note about the mando that aren't obvious from photos. Joe carves these things using knives, violin style. Not much planing or sanding going on. I visited his shop & was amazed by the TOTAL lack of dust there. If I remember correctly, the finished instrument is sealed with a thin coat of hide glue before being varnished. It has a completely different texture to a planed/sanded/lacquered instrument, like my Phoenix (bluegrass). Part of it is the woodworking, which, to my eye is less abrasive to the grain -- you can literally see tiny ridges in the grain of the top & running your finger along the mando's rib reveals slight bumps synchronized with the flame of the wood. And of course the finish has its effect as well. To my ear, this mando is more "harmonically integrated" & "sweet" than my phoenix (also an excellent mando), without sacrificing volume.

My favourite feature is the violin style, oiled neck. Very easy to clean & doesn't accumulate debris like lacquer does.

I'll take some photos tonight and post. Working on some recordings that feature this mando as well. Should be complete by mid August. Will post MP3s if you wish.

KNP String Band Mando
Jul-26-2007, 4:43pm
Awesome dmo. Thanks alot. I dont really want to ask, but what was the price range for your 2-point? And is there a waiting list?

dmo
Jul-26-2007, 4:52pm
I'm not sure what the current prices are as Joe mentioned that mine was one of the last before a price increase. I'd suggest you email Joe to find out. The whole process took less than a year to complete. Again, not sure what the current backlog is.

KNP String Band Mando
Jul-26-2007, 5:21pm
Thanks dmo, would you recomend one of Joes's Mandos?

dmo
Jul-27-2007, 11:37am
It's a quality instrument. Versatile and unique. Personally I'm drawn to the aesthetic & construction methods -- it just makes sense. Some may say that it's unorthodox but eccentricity is one of the things that drew me to playing mando in the first place. I'm happy to have something different, provided it delivers the goods. And the combination of workmanship, aesthetic & tone really inspire me to invest that extra bit of joy into my playing -- isn't that what finding the right instrument is about?

If these mandos inspire you, I doubt you'd be disappointed construction/tone wise.

b.t.w. sorry about the photo delay I've been bogged down at work. will get it done this weekend.

tterral
Jul-27-2007, 12:44pm
How's about a ballpark on the pricing - $2-3,000, $5-6,000.......

red7flag
Jul-27-2007, 4:35pm
A question and a comment.
Question: I would like to ask somebody that might know, if the materials were the same, how would the violin type binding effect the sound? Thanks in advance.
Comment: I am very intrigued by this instrument and am getting some information from the builder. MAS could be striking again.
Tony

KNP String Band Mando
Jul-29-2007, 7:22am
I remember reading/watching some information about this type of construction. From what I remember, and if anyone can help me out/correct me on this, I beleive that the sound board overlaps the rims, it lends its self to vibrating more freely, and transferring the sound throughout the whole body of the mandolin, and not just stopping at the binding. Anybody else here something like this?

mandroid
Jul-29-2007, 10:39am
Binding stops the vibration? balderdash!

staber
Jul-29-2007, 3:37pm
Since 2004 I am the happy owner of a Campanella F-type mandolin, the first F-type built by Joe Cleary in his unique design. I love it's sound, it's feel and it's playability. I alternate between it and my '39 Gibson F-5, similar to Sam Bush's, which I have had since '64, and used on recordings with Del McCoury, Bob Paisley and my Rounder instrumental album, "Pickin' Around The Cookstove". I used the Campanella on our cd from 2004, "One More Journey". There are sound clips and pictures of the Campanella on our website, www.staberandchasnoff.com. I think one reason Joe's mandolins sound so great is that he himself is a good-tone player, and possesses the artistic temperament of a great builder.

John Hill
Jul-29-2007, 7:55pm
Hey Dick, nice playing. That Campanella sounds aged beyond it's years, great tone & I really like the duo.

joec
Aug-02-2007, 10:28am
Hey folks,
Yes, I know, my website is sorely in need of photo updates. #I'm planning on spending my IBMA budget on a new site, rather than going to Nashville this year http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif #
In the meantime, I'm slowly adding some pics and info on my recent trip to Italy on the Notes (http://www.campanellastrings.blogspot.com/) section (my blog). # Suffice it to say, extreme inspiration was the theme of my travels--exhilirating!
In the meantime, here are some of my shop pics of recent instruments.
As to the question of binding, purfling, overhung edges and sound, check this (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=45822;st=0;&#entry551227) thread in the builders' section. #Prices, #
specific details or other questions are best directed to me off the forum, and
I appreciate everyone respecting that: #jcc@campanellastrings.com
# # If you're in Vermont this weekend, come see me under the tent at the Champlain Valley Folk Festival at Kingsland Bay State Park in Ferrisburg.
It's on the lake, and there's a great lineup of music. See: CVFest (http://cvfest.org/) for details.

Joe

joec
Aug-02-2007, 10:34am
dmo's Due model (two pt.)

joec
Aug-02-2007, 10:37am
back

joec
Aug-02-2007, 10:41am
Corner and purfling detail. Here's the grain texture Dan mentioned which is a result of using a scraper for finishing rather than sanding.

joec
Aug-02-2007, 10:43am
A recent A model.

joec
Aug-02-2007, 10:47am
Rib detail and pickguard. This is one of my varnish variations with shading in wear areas which reveals the golden ground underneath, similar to a sunburst, and not quite antiqued.

joec
Aug-02-2007, 10:56am
Here's a whiff of a new detail I'm using. Double purfling on an A model, a nod to the Brescian school of vioinmaking, and another view of the raised grain texture which is such a tactile reminder of the wood underneath the varnish.

joec
Aug-02-2007, 11:30am
Indulge me a small digression. #Here's a picture I took at the the Musei Stradivariano in Cremona, Italy in April. #It's Antonio Stradivari's scrapers, single bevel steel, various shapes. #I'd be willing to bet that they are recycled knife and sword steel (those w/narrow, triangular profiles). #Is there dried blood along with the rust on these tools? #Luthiers, have you ever cut your thumb while sharpening a scraper? Kept working? Thought so.
I spent many hours in this room of the museum, containing many of Strad's tools, molds and drawings. #What an incredible resource. #Perhaps someday Loar's materials of this sort can be collected into an publically accesible exhibit. I'll be posting more of this sort of material to my blog, but wanted to share this one here.

Joe

Spruce
Aug-02-2007, 12:25pm
Nice work, Joe....
Are those Red Spruce tops on the double-purfled top and A-model?

"From what I remember, and if anyone can help me out/correct me on this, I beleive that the sound board overlaps the rims, it lends its self to vibrating more freely, and transferring the sound throughout the whole body of the mandolin, and not just stopping at the binding."

Also this type of construction allows you to work on the thing....

I think that's huge....

Taking apart a conventional mandolin for a repair is a fairly large undertaking, so this violin-inspired design will be greatly appreciated 50 years down the line....

Love to see a mandolin quartet order up a set of instruments from Joe. #
That would be a rockin' quartet.....

Cremona rules. #Nice to see those scrapers again......

Here's (http://www.aemcremona.it/webcam/index.htm) a Cremona webcam. #
Pretty cool....

joec
Aug-02-2007, 1:57pm
Good eye, red spruce, hard(er) maple on the 2purfling A. #It is hard stuff, satisfiying to carve, and finishes really nicely under a scraper. #I'm going for a certain sound on this one. #I'm thinking of those Nuggets that really pop with a super clear, dry sound...kinda make your neck snap back when you hit 'em hard http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
I'll get some pics in when its done and gone...
Yeah, yeah, 'dola, 'cello, quartet. #I'd really like to get to the lower voices, and a set would be the ultimate...especially seeing how Lawrence now has a couple of quartets under his belt. #I'm leaning toward making two point dola's and cellos to start, for practicality's sake and weight reduction.
Joe

Lee
Aug-02-2007, 5:52pm
Nice clips Joe. Really has a rich full sweetness. One of these would bring me back to my violin roots.