PDA

View Full Version : A beginner steps out...

merlin
Jul-23-2007, 10:47pm
Hello,

I'm from New Zealand and I have a strong urge to pick up a mandolin and start playing. I'm a complete beginner (well, almost - the last time i played an instrument was 15 years ago. Violin then cello).

I'm not so interested in bluegrass music - i think i'd tend more towards classical/folkey stuff/etc. (not sure if that helps). My price range would be something around $200-$300US. I'm also not so interested in the F-model mandolins - I think I'd probably poke my eye out with that curly bit, I'm that much of a beginner. So generally I'd be after an A model, probably with an oval hole....but I'm very open to suggestions.

For a decent starter I've been recommended either something from the Michael Kelly range, or a Kentucky KM-171/172/174.

By the way, what a fantastic site! There's so much information here!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

clarksavage
Jul-23-2007, 10:53pm
Hi Merlin -

My only advice is to go and find some mandolins and play them. I, too, am an oval hole player, I am not so much interested in that F-hole sound, but a more open and expansive oval hole sound. I have a few mandolins and I am still amazed at all the differences in the same style / price range. My biggest advice is find one that is playable, fits your fingers and your lap, and one that you "like to play" ... I have three mandolins here, the one I really play a whole lot happens to be the least expensive and least impressive visually, but it "fits" and "sounds" so wonderful to me. It begs me to play it! I wish that experience for you. Go looking.

Clark

F5G WIZ
Jul-23-2007, 11:34pm
The new Kentucky's sound great and the price would be right in your range. The Mandolin Store has a few and Dennis would treat you right.

DryBones
Jul-24-2007, 6:48am
if you don't want bluegrass then look for a used Mid-Missouri(Big Muddy) in your price range.

LateBloomer
Jul-24-2007, 7:31am
The Mandolin Store might be too long of a trip for Merlin - he lives in New Zealand. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

The Mid-Missouri (or Big Muddy) mandolins are in your price range - and if for some odd reason you ever need to sell it, you know you can sell it in the classifieds here at the cafe. Have you checked out the classifieds - there is only one listed right now, but they come up for sale fairly often.

Good Luck - and keep in touch!

Tim2723
Jul-24-2007, 8:40am
Hi and welcome!

For the raw beginner, I've always believed that it is more important to focus on a starter instrument that is well made and properly set up than it is to worry about the often subtle differences between makers or styles. #A mando that has excellent intonation (plays in tune) with a professional set up for easy playing is far more important.

The Kentucky line is well known for such instruments. #I'd recommend buying from a dealer (a local shop or the Internet) that will do the set up work rather than just selling you a mandolin in a box. #It's worth every extra penny to have it set up correctly. # The mandolin can be a very frustrating instrument when it isn't properly adjusted by someone who knows how.

Timbofood
Jul-24-2007, 8:56am
I am with you Tim, The set up is critical! Find someone that has at least minimal shop understanding and have them set it up and then see where it takes you. After my first(Harmony) mandolin I learned how important set up can be. That one was set up by a (Very Fine) brass repairman. Great guy, but didn't really know much about stringed instruments. I learned with the next one, I knew more about what to ask. By number 3, I did some set up myself, Under the eyes of some very knowledgable people. Get one, get started, you will find out what you like or don't like soon enough. If there is someplace you can "hang out" and watch people and ask questions, do that. Good luck!

F5G WIZ
Jul-24-2007, 1:11pm
The Mandolin Store might be too long of a trip for Merlin - he lives in New Zealand. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
The MAndolin Store does most of his Business online.

Stephen Perry
Jul-24-2007, 5:49pm
I was pleased with the KM-174 I got and set up. Does take a nice setup.

I imagine most dealers would ship to NZ.

merlin
Jul-24-2007, 10:04pm
Crikey!

Thanks for the info people!

Another question I had: what's the difference between a KM-171, 172 and 174? As far as i can tell the only difference is in the colours...black, amber/honey and burgundy. (I have to say the black looks pretty slick, but would be harder to keep looking clean!)

Does Big Muddy have a website?

Thanks heaps, all the way from NZ