PDA

View Full Version : Triangle pics

LowGapBG
Jul-23-2007, 4:35pm
Just wanted to see how many use the big triangle pics?I'm thinking about trying one myself.Thanks http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandopickin4Him
Jul-23-2007, 4:45pm
I use a Golden gate but i've been looking for a big triangle pick.

mandopickin4Him
Jul-23-2007, 4:47pm
I've also been looking to get with one pick and use that because i change picks alot, but i mostle use a goldengate.

12 fret
Jul-23-2007, 5:06pm
If you're talking about the real triangles like Fender offers, they are OK sound wise but I found them very uncomfortable to hold. I do use the 346 style which is the rounded triangle. Good tone and comfort. Like the Saga horn versions in the same size but I reshape them to more point and extreme bevels. These are great but reworking them is a pain.

homeslice
I tried a couple and never could get used to them. I felt like they got sort of hung up in the flaps of my fingers. I did, however, like the volume/tone that I got seemingly from being able to use more picking strength. They make tons of them so they obviously work well for some folks. I think you should certainly give it a shot and see how YOU feel about them. (FYI I use a Dunlop 1.14 thats just shaped like a regular guitar pick)

blawson
I've been using the Wegen 1.4mm large triangle pick for several years now. I must credit Tripp Johnson for originally turning me on to the pick. (Thanks, Tripp!) He lent one to me for a test drive during a jam way back, and I was hooked. The "speed holes" alleviate pick slippage for me. I really like the tone that comes from the Wegen, and I prefer more of a point than the Golden Gate or Dawg picks give. They're not cheap, but one tends to last me for a while. I've also sanded worn ones to achieve more point and therefore get longer life out of them.

In fact, even before I knew Thile was proclaiming the Wegen greatness, he spotted my Wegen at the 2004 Symposium and came over to try it out. The notes didn't sound quite so muddy and poorly spaced in his hands, though -- not sure what he was doing wrong. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Jim Broyles
Jul-23-2007, 5:14pm
If you mean these picks, my answer is no, they are too big and don't feel right in my hand. Why don't you just try things for yourself to see if you like them? What we think about something doesn't matter, you are the one who has to be comfortable with a pick, or a bridge or a mandolin.

MNDOLNR
Jul-23-2007, 5:14pm
I love em! I switch between a Wegen TF-140 and a heavy Tortis C pick (when performing I'll use the Wegen because they're more slip-proof). The larger surface area allows you to coax more volume out of each stroke by squeezing the pick for accented notes instead of swinging harder.

mandroid
Jul-23-2007, 6:28pm
the Wankel triangle pick, i.e. the rounded triangle,
for those that don't think of rotary engines as being interesting, and memorable,
in extra thick stock is a DIY Dawg pick , with just a little labor.

then the point is rounded to Your preference..

John Flynn
Jul-23-2007, 6:50pm
My favorite pick of all time: A slightly rounded triangle, about 1.5mm, that Bill Bussman gave me. He made it from an antique hair brush. I'm pretty sure it's tortise shell. Whatever it is, it sounds great!

Tim2723
Jul-23-2007, 7:13pm
If you mean the large rounded triangle like the Totis C, I love them. If you mean the big triangle like in JB's picture, then no. I think those are popular with bass players though.

JEStanek
Jul-23-2007, 7:17pm
I like the Dawg pick best so far. I've tried the Clayton 1.52 mm and have used the Golden Gate. Maybe it's the material but I like the rounded Dawg the best for the sound I'm after. The Clayton was a bit brighter.

http://www.steveclayton.com/images/products/acetalthree.jpg

The Clayton was nice and firm and not too slippery. It just didn't give me the warmth I like.

Jamie

JeffD
Jul-23-2007, 7:54pm
I love em! #I switch between a Wegen TF-140 and a heavy Tortis C pick (when performing I'll use the Wegen because they're more slip-proof).
My two favorite picks right there.

I started on the triangular ones - Gibson Heavy - because I was cheap - I figured three identical points - it has got to last three times as long.

david blair
Jul-24-2007, 6:32am
I learned and played with a Golden Gate for the first few years. I was offered to test drive a triangle tortoise one night and loved it. Suddenly I could be heard playing single notes.
I do like the Fender shown above, but in the extra heavy gauge.
After trying about everything I'm now using a Dunlop 207 jazz guitar pic. Great tone, full bass, nice treble. Highly recommended.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.p....ks (http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=41&pmh=products/picks)

MandoSquirrel
Jul-24-2007, 4:54pm
I like those big triangles, for guitar. For mandolin, it depends on the instrument & music; a rounded triangle like the "346" or Dawg/Golden Gate style usually, but some mandos or music styles require more point, so the "standard" Fender shape, then I can use the rounded corners when I don't need the point. All picks from 1.21mm to 1.5mm, regardless of type of instrument or music, guitar included.

Jim Yates
Jul-25-2007, 10:23am
I use a medium rounded triangle (shaped like the right hand Clayton shown above), usually a Fender or Gibson, for guitar, mandolin and tenor banjo.

DryBones
Jul-25-2007, 10:50am
Just ordered some custom Wegen M120's with a lefty bevel. should be here in about a week! I already own the M100 and M150 but wanted something in between so I emailed Michel and asked about making a M120 and he said no problem! Great guy to deal with and $15 for 3 picks shipping included can't be beat.

DryBones
Jul-30-2007, 6:32pm
Well I just got my new Wegen M120's and they are perfect or me. I get the nice, clear sounds when pickin' and they give a nice firm tremolo without sounding muted or muddy.

Bing Cullen
Jul-30-2007, 9:14pm
I am always trying differnet picks, but I keep coming back to those heavy fender ovals..theyjust seem to produce the best tone with little pick click