PDA

View Full Version : New kentucky km-174

RobP
Jul-20-2007, 2:41pm
Greetings,

I have had my new Kentucky KM-174 a little over a week now and I wanted to pass on some general impressions. This is one of the new low-end oval holes; I bought it from Steve Perry for $249.

I just have to say this thing is *fantastic* for a $249 mandolin. It is quite playable (came with a nice setup) and the sound is incredible -- it has just that "old-timey" sound I was looking for. I have been playing a Rigel A+deluxe for about 4 years as my main mandolin, and this one is intended to be my second mandolin to keep at work. Well, last night just for fun I played the Kentucky the whole night at our band practice -- we played most of a set. The Kentucky held its own as well as the Rigel - I found that even the chop was decent, once I figured out where I needed to hold my right hand.

Anyways, I wanted to pass along my "thumbs-up" on this new model and encourage others to give it a try!

Cheers

Rob

LowGapBG
Jul-20-2007, 2:51pm
Cool,i just got a Km-150 sounds good too.Good picken!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Stephen Perry
Jul-21-2007, 6:27am
Glad you like it. They're nice, especially at the price. A bit plain, but I even like that! I'm thinking of carrying more of the Kentucky line.