PDA

View Full Version : '94 flatiron festival a

MikeEdgerton
Jul-18-2007, 9:13pm
I managed to snag a wonderful little '94 Flatiron Festival A from the classifieds last week. Honestly it looks new, I feel a little bad about it because I know I'm going to beat it up. This is my backup mandolin for the F5G I've been abusing for a year. This has a really nice sound and a great neck. Thanks to Chris for listing it. I've wanted one of these for a while now. Virtually no ornamentation.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-18-2007, 9:14pm
The back.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-18-2007, 9:15pm
The top.

bradeinhorn
nice find mike. i just got a late 90's performer a-5 in and those flatty's really pack a punch. will i be seeing you two at Grey Fox?

MikeEdgerton
The headstock.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-18-2007, 9:18pm
Not this year, I have it on schedule for next year. I already had a gig scheduled for the 21st that I couldn't get out of. Any festival that sells out of tickets the week before has to be good.

tnpathfinder
Jul-28-2007, 7:29am
So YOUR the one that scored that Flatiron! I had thrown my hat in for that thing. Congrats! She looks great. Hows the sound? BTW, I went with the Morris A5 which I'm super pleased with.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-28-2007, 7:42am
It's a wonderful little instrument, very plain as far as ornamentation goes but light and responsive. It kind of reminds me of a modern day AJr with f holes. Right now it's got light strings on it, today it's getting a set of J-74's, in a few weeks I'll try my standard J-75's on it. I expect it will growl a little more then http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

It's a keeper.

Paul Statman
Nov-22-2013, 9:52pm

It's a keeper.

11/22/13: "94 Flatiron Festival A (SOLD)"

Not any more! :))

MikeEdgerton
Nov-22-2013, 10:25pm
Yeah, it wasn't getting any playing time. I bought it as a backup for my Gibson that never needed a backup in all these years.

Paul Statman
Nov-22-2013, 11:27pm
Ha! Funny how that goes, isn't it? Years ago i used to fret about breaking a string during a gig, so I'd always carry a spare mando and strings. When I learned that a fresh set before every gig will (pretty much) guarantee no breakage in the first few hours of service, I was released. Now I can carry more of the rest of the stage gear in less trips. Oh, joy!

Frank Farley
Nov-22-2013, 11:40pm
I had one identical to that one a few years ago and sold it . I've regretted it ever since! Hands down one of the best A style mandos I ever played. Every time I see one up for sale I'm tempted to try and buy it. Would love to have mine back. Or one like it.

bmac
Nov-23-2013, 12:11pm
That is a beauty! I love the lack of ornamentation!