PDA

View Full Version : A very beginner looking for some tips

jekaiser2
Jul-18-2007, 4:07pm
Hi,

Please bear with me as I'm just entering the mandolin playing world after being a huge bluegrass (or shall I say newgrass?) fan practically since birth. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Anyway, I would like some advice on what to look for. I've heard to not go with a beginner model and just go for something that's nice and at the top of what I can afford (which unfortunately isn't a whole lot.). I really like the F models, but other than that I'm pretty lost as to makers, etc.

Thanks in advance for all your advice! I'm REALLY excited to start playing and am lucky to be moving to Chicago where I can get in at Old Town.

-Jen

tkdboyd
Jul-18-2007, 4:17pm
Can you state a $ range?

And you'll hear it from a lot of people: Don't be afraid of the A model with f holes! You're just paying for aesthetics and not sound. That being said, I own one A style, and four F's. So I understand the love of the F body style. Something about the Scroll!

Lee
Jul-18-2007, 4:18pm
What's your budget?
Are you OK buying a used instrument?
Are you OK buying something from our Classifieds and risking the price of shipping both ways if you decide it's not The One?
Have you been to a store and tried a selection yet?

jekaiser2
Jul-18-2007, 4:28pm
my price range will probably be around $4-7 ish. I'm starting med school, so tuition is a killer!

I'm just fine purchasing a used mando, that's not a concern. And no, I haven't been to a store to try some. Like I said, I'm a real newbie...read: haven't touched one yet. I'm going to try and make a trip to a bluegrass store at some point to learn some more and try something out. I just want to get a feel for what experienced players recommend for a nice sounding, reliable mando that would be good for learning on.

Thanks again!!

JHo
Jul-18-2007, 4:38pm
Wow, $4-7? Even for $7.00 you won't get much of an instrument. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif I assume you meant $400-700.

If you're moving to Chicago and you plan to go to the Old Town School (good choice, nice folks, lots of fun), then you might want to check out their shop, the Different Strummer if you're interested in a new instrument. They have a handful of mandolins on any given day that you could sit down and try out. They sell Eastmans among other makes, which I think are a great value as far as new instruments in that price range.

If it's a used one you'd like, where you'll probably get more for your money, the cafe classifieds are a great place to look.

jekaiser2
Jul-18-2007, 4:42pm
Lol, yes, I meant $400-700....whoops!!

tkdboyd
Jul-18-2007, 4:44pm
I own one over 1k$ and it was a custom locally built instrument and the rest are under 400$. So I would think you'll be in good shape to find an Eastman, Michael Kelly, Kentucky, etc. that talks to you rather than having 200.00 and picking out the least offensive mandolin. 4-7$ should leave you a lot of room to get something pretty solid that should last you as you develop as a player, or until your through residency!
Good luck and congrats on getting into med school!

JEStanek
Jul-18-2007, 5:28pm
Look for a used Eastman 605 or 805 (A style with F holes) easily within your budget. #You may even be able to get a 515 or 615 F style Eastman used as well. These are good instruments. #Plus the case is quite nice (since you won't have too much time over the next 7 years between school and residency!). Look at Elderly or Themandolinstor.com as they often have used stock. Our classifieds are nice too.

I believe for the same money you get more tone/playability from an A style than an F. #You'll do better buying used than new (esp. if it comes with a trial period in case you don't like it) because if you trade up or find you need money for scrubs you can get back out what you put into it.

Congrats on Med School and welcome to the Café.

Jamie

Greenmando
Jul-18-2007, 9:19pm
I too would watch for a used Eastman. If you are patient and have the money to move right away you could grab up a bargain here in the classifieds. I bought a lovely barely used Gibson A9 for only $800 because I responded quickly enough. A styles will be more reasonable than F's, they are not called thousand dollar strap holders for nothing http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif . And she sounds every bit as beautiful as my F9 and Flatiron, maybe more so as she gets man handled alot.

It is all about the sound!

My $800 A9. Yes, they are real! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/Mandolins/Gibson004.jpg

jim_n_virginia
Jul-19-2007, 7:26am
If you get an Eastman it (or any Pac-Rim mando) won't hold it's value. Get a used Flatiron (or Gibson) A style and it will holds it's value and when you save a few more bucks you trade the A style mandolin along with the few bucks and trade up to a nice US made F style mandolin.

If you don't ever plan on trading up or making that slow crawl up the mandolin food chain then get the Eastman or a Michael Kelly as they are the best (IMHO)out there as far as imports.

good luck http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

JeffD
Jul-19-2007, 9:18am
I think most would agree that as a general rule, for the same bucks you get more mandolin with an A model.

But those scrolls are so darn cool!

Patrick Killeen
Jul-19-2007, 10:56am
Don't forget to put your name down for the Weber Mandolin Giveaway on the front page of the Cafe. Well, you never know. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

earthsave
Jul-19-2007, 4:45pm
If you are just starting out and not sure you will stick with the mando, I'd say go cheap and playable or nice and resellable.

Cheap and playable may not sound exactly like a high end mando, but it'll be good enough to get the basics down and then when you decide you want to upgrade, you can start saving your money and keep it around as a beater mando. I've got a cheap and playable Bean Blossom, that aint bad for $200 or the $250 I paid for it. It aint no jamming mando but it's great to have lying around the house or carry outside to pick with.

If you go nice and resellable, if you find you dont have the time, you should be able to resell it for somewhere around what you paid for it. Jim n virginia gave a good example of what to look for. Quality mandos are pricy tho. I've got a nice sounding Flatiron, that you may find a used one for $1k or so, similarly a Gibson A9 used will be around that range.

MandoSquirrel
Jul-19-2007, 7:18pm
At 400-700 dollars, definitely look for used, A style preferred, some day, you may want to get as much money out of it as possible, used is the only way.

cooper4205
Jul-19-2007, 10:14pm
Here's and A9 (http://mandodan.com/2003A9.html) for $825. that's definitely a good price

tanner
Jul-20-2007, 3:41am
Hey cooper4205, where did you see the A9 for sale?

earthsave
Jul-20-2007, 11:49am
Hey cooper4205, where did you see the A9 for sale?
He posted a link in his message.

http://mandodan.com/

However, it is listed as sold now.

There is a nice Weber Limited Edition for $2300 I think.

http://mandodan.com/2006weber.html

cooper4205
Jul-20-2007, 11:59am
Gibson's don't hang around long when they are under $900!

hanknc
Jul-20-2007, 3:35pm
You can get a 500 series Eastman new for around $500 bucks and have an instrument that is as good as other instruments costing three or four times that price.

Good luck!

ab4usa
Jul-20-2007, 3:53pm
Well I think that's just a bit of an over statement. I paid less than 4 times that for my Old Wave A5 and I will put that up against any pac-rim not to mention most banjos. Used A style, made by someone who knows what a mandolin is suppose to sound like.

hanknc
Jul-20-2007, 10:25pm
"I paid less than 4 times that for my Old Wave A5

Yes, but in this thread the OP wants to spend $400-700. The Eastman 500 series is right in that slot.

But I'm sure your Old Wave can beat up my Eastman. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

cooper4205
Jul-21-2007, 9:24am
Hanknc, IMHO I agree with your statement. I have a San Juan F that was more than 4 times (try 7 times) what I paid for my Eastman F, and my Eastman stands up just fine to the San Juan. My PacRim Eastman can certainly hold its own to the San Juan mando made in Colorado, USA.
but my 515 won't hold a candle to my Carlson Flatiron A5 i gave $600 for. That's why you gotta get out there and look around and play all the ones you can.

jekaiser2
Jul-22-2007, 10:57pm
Thank you all for the advice on what to look for! I was recently on a web site for a local music store (Madison, WI) and saw a 1940's Stradolin. Any opinions on this? It's well within my budget, and something I haven't run across very often. (to read a description on the instrument visit www.sprucetreemusic.com )

Thanks!

otterly2k
Jul-23-2007, 10:21am
Stradolins, like most mandos, can vary quite a bit. They can be really great instruments, or not, depending on the condition, etc.

I strongly recommend holding off on a purchase until you have a chance to go play some instruments in person and see what feels/sounds good to you. If you are close enough to go play that Stradolin, by all means, do.

Eric F.
Jul-23-2007, 10:40am
I had a $56 Strad that played well and sounded good after a $75 setup. Spruce Tree is a good store run by good people, so you might want to ask them what they have in your range and go for a visit.

Still, I'm going to tell you that even though you say you're a "newgrass" fan, which has led everyone to recommend f-hole instruments, you ought to check out a Big Muddy (or used Mid-Missouri, the company's old name). You will be hard pressed to do better in this price range. If you are in Chicago, the Old Town School usually (at least used to when I lived nearby) has some in stock. You will have a mandolin that is well made, sounds good and won't leave you hungering for more three months down the road. Check out other threads on Mid-Mo/Big Muddy. Lots of people here have them and love them.

allenhopkins
Jul-23-2007, 4:09pm
Strad-O-Lins are a good option if you can get them fairly cheap. They were generally low-end, usually made of laminated wood, American mandolins from the 1930's-'50's (approximately). I have one that I paid $25 for -- it had a serious top crack -- had fixed up for $100-150 or so, and have used for at least ten years as my "beater" mandolin, as they say. Check the tuner buttons (I had a couple where the plastic just disintegrated), and don't mind the lack of amenities -- in many cases the "binding" around the edges is just painted on, and the lacquer is prone to fine cracks, called "checking," which don't affect the sound.

I second the often-expressed opinion that you should play several brands and styles, then pick the one you like, regardless of my or others' opinions.