PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin solo

firstchair
Jul-15-2007, 11:01pm
I will be going to a Christian Camp in August and plan on singing a vocal solo. I can play guitar for the song but wouldn't feel as comfortable playing it as the mandolin. Is it ok to sing and play a mandolin?

Chadmills
Jul-16-2007, 3:24am
It's OK.
Tom

Patrick Killeen
Jul-16-2007, 4:54am
Voice and mandolin can work very well, especially if it breaks up other people singing along to guitars, in which case the mandolin would make a welcome change. #

If you've got doubts then you could try recording yourself, if it sounds OK then it is OK.

Patrick

Klaus Wutscher
Jul-16-2007, 6:05am
You certainly could; I tried it at an open mike a few years agao, and as mentioned, itīs a welcomed change. Just make sure it is a mandolin frienly key that makes it possible to use open strings, keys such as G, A, D, C, E, F. If your song is in eflat or b flat, you may consider to tune down a half-step or full step to make effective use of your instrument. Remember, there is no thing such as cheating on stage:D

firstchair
Jul-16-2007, 12:42pm
It's in the key of G flat.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-16-2007, 1:12pm
Hang on, isn't there a rule against singing and playing the mandolin at the same time? Let me check the forum guidelines....

Ray(T)
Jul-16-2007, 1:32pm
The only instruments that aren't suitable for solo voice/accompaniment are those which you need to blow - although a mate of mine does do a pretty mean "Nelly the Elephant" on voice and trombone!

firstchair
Jul-16-2007, 2:08pm
Well the only thing is that when I play mandolin and sing it sounds kind of empty. And on the guitar I can do runs but on the mandolin it seems weird to do runs.

seanonabutton
Jul-16-2007, 2:09pm
i have done dozens of open mics solo. i've found that people are really into anything i've played from bach to fiddle tunes to elliot smith songs...

DeamhanFola
Jul-16-2007, 2:32pm
The beginning of Nickel Creek's song "Helena" is just one example of how voice & solo mando can sound great.

mrmando
Jul-16-2007, 3:09pm
If it's in G flat I recommend cranking it up a half step to G. You can use a lot of open-string chords in G, which will help you get a fuller sound out of the mandolin.

Or you can tune the mandolin a half step flat. And if you're able to throw in some runs, so much the better.

No pianos at this camp?

firstchair
Jul-16-2007, 3:11pm
There is. But I figure the best way to win is to sing and play something that they don't usually here. So mandolin or guitar is my first choice.

Patrick Killeen
Jul-17-2007, 4:13am
Well the only thing is that when I play mandolin and sing it sounds kind of empty. And on the guitar I can do runs but on the mandolin it seems weird to do runs.

I had that problem; I mostly solved it by getting an Irish bouzouki. It's an octave lower than the mandolin and has a much richer tone. However, the chords still sounds emptier than a guitar, which has an additional two course to help round the chords out.

On the other hand you can emphasise that emptiness to get something that stands out from the crowd. One song that I found does work on mandolin is a slow eight bar blues number ("Worrying you off my mind" by Big Bill Broonzy). I play it in C, slowly fingerpicking simple chords and letting the strings ring (slowly crosspicking open chords would have the same effect). It gives the mandolin a harp like quality which makes the most of its tone, and the emptiness of the arrangement works with the gentle expressive vocals.

Without knowing what the song is, one thing you could try is playing it in G (or another key with plenty of open chords) as a slow ballad. Keep the mandolin simple while you're singing and maybe throw in a melodic mandolin solo to add interest. If it works then you'll have a definite contender.

Patrick

Klaus Wutscher
Jul-17-2007, 5:20am
I definitely recommend to tune a half step down. The instrument should adjust to the voice, and not vice versa. The key of G will give you a much fuller sound (and will beslightly more resonant, as you tune it a half step down. Just be sure to tune the instrument down well in time, i.e. not 5 minutes before playing).

Let us know how it went!