PDA

View Full Version : Tree sap in my mandolin case

seththedude
Jul-13-2007, 12:54pm
I ran a few searches but could not find a similar problem or solution.

We played a few gigs this weekend and at some point some sap dripped into my open case. I did not notice this until yesterday evening when i sat down to do some picking with the same mando again.

When I picked it up I noticed, after a few minutes of playing, there was a good size drop of sap on the top of my mandolin neck (Grand Fir I believe). Upon closer examination I found a few more smaller spot on the front and back (FYI it has a laquer finish). I cleaned these with some water, spit (keeping it natural http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif), and a rag. I wondered where it came from and then examined the case.

Inside I found a few small spots of rubbed in sap. The spots are located in areas that the mandolin sits and have been rubbed in by the mandolin a little bit. I did not want to clean them right away for fear of long-term damage to the case and/or mandolin. It is a rectangular Eastman style case with the plush/felt interior and cover cloth.

What is the best way to remove the sap without permanant damage? Soap, some speacialty cleaner for cases or tree sap, or a home-made concoction of lemon juice, beer, spit, and ketchup?

Michael H Geimer
Jul-13-2007, 12:58pm
Naptha maybe?

I use white gas when I get sap on my pants (I camp a lot). Keep in mind, my camping wear is functional not fashionable, so I'm not trying to get it spotless, just clean.

Maybe you could first test a small that doesn't show, to make sure the solvent won't discolor your case lining.

Good luck!

Bob DeVellis
Jul-13-2007, 1:04pm
I'm just guessing here. I would think that heat/liquid would partially dissolve or at least soften the stuff and that some petroleum-based solvent would dissolve it pretty effectively. Soap/detergent is going to work best on grease, which this isn't. I'd start with a cloth dampened with hot water and see how much comes up that way. I'd then try naphtha (like Ronsonal cigarette lighter fluid), again applied with a cloth. I'd try both in a small, inconspicuous area first to be sure that they do no harm (e.g., take the color out of the fabric). If you go with the naphtha, I'd then clean the area with the water-dampened cloth to get up whatever residue remains. Then dry it with a hair dryer not set to too high a temperature, and lightly brush it with a nail brush or the like to restore the nap.

seththedude
Jul-13-2007, 1:12pm
Thanks. I am not concerned about miscoloring of the case. As long as it is functional it can be colored like a rainbow. Getting the stickiness of the sap off is my primary concern, and ensureing the health of my mando.

Perhaps I'll try the Naptha idea.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-13-2007, 1:13pm
You gotta love Google.

Remvoing tree sap from fabric (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf860271.tip.html)

Brady Smith
Jul-13-2007, 2:13pm
May want to tell your builder to use dryer wood to make your mandolins out of next go round... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

sunburst
Jul-13-2007, 2:24pm
I guess if hand sanitizer works, fine, but my first thought was turpentine, the natural solvent for tree sap.

Steven Stone
Jul-14-2007, 10:46am
My biggest concern would be that whatever you use that can disolve tree sap might also disolve the finish on your mando.

I would make sure that after removing the sap there were no remains of the stuff in your case..

Narayan Kersak
Jul-14-2007, 10:57am
Just clean it with what works...if it makes a mark, who cares...it will give it more character, right?

Phil Hopkins
Jul-14-2007, 10:59am
I also worry about the effect on the finish. I think it's always best to start conservative and work up. So hand sanitizer might be the place to start. Then rubbing alcohol. Naptha or turpentine or acetone (which should definitely work!), if left in the fabric, might do bad things to the finish of the mandolin. Particularly in a closed case, where just the vapors could harm the finish.

StoneSt
Jul-14-2007, 10:06pm
We have cedar trees in our yard and learned early with our kids that butter works great at removing it from their hair. The only down side is that you then have to remove the butter. Liquid dish washing soap does well with that. Good luck.

Bill Snyder
Jul-14-2007, 10:38pm
...Naptha or turpentine or acetone (which should definitely work!), if left in the fabric, might do bad things to the finish of the mandolin. #Particularly in a closed case, where just the vapors could harm the finish.
Naphtha should not harm a lacquer finish nor should denatured alcohol at least not once it has evaporated out of the case. If John Hamlett recommends turpentine then I would not worry about it either. John has a pretty decent resume when it comes to finishes.

David O'Brien
Jul-14-2007, 11:08pm
why not put the case back in the sun, but not under a tree and let the sun turn the sap into a solid, then take some ice, rub the ice on the new solid and simultaneously break the solid into finer and finer piecse wiping them away with a cloth. #No chemicals/no residues. . http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif