PDA

View Full Version : New  adam steffey dvd

chip
Jul-12-2007, 9:03pm
Well, I received the new Adam Steffey Instructional DVD, "My approach to Bluegrass Mandolin" and was interested in hearing others take on it. Before I comment about it I thought I would see what others opinion of it is and see if I'm on target with my thoughts or ..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

tterral
Jul-13-2007, 12:39pm
I received mine a week or two ago and have just watched the 1st DVD. I thought it was interesting and pretty informative. I have not gotten into the meatier 2nd DVD, which has more of the actual instruction in it. So far, so good.

Skin it Back
Jul-13-2007, 4:04pm
Well, so far I have only worked on Everytime You Say Goodbye. The lead work is far more involved than I expected but then again, I'm mostly a guitar player. I was a bit surprised by his laid back commentary as he broke the solo down because it did not seem that Adam had prepared his comments. Then again, maybe that is how he thinks. I was expecting something with more of a theory bent. That said, I really love his playing, not to mention the sound of that beautiful Daley mandolin.

bradeinhorn
Jul-15-2007, 11:47am
I still have not received mine...preordered it.

64lusso
Jul-16-2007, 10:06am
They were sent out a few weeks ago so you might want to call John Lawless if you ordered it from him as I'd bet yours has been lost in the USPS if you don't have it yet.
Skin it, I don't know Adam personally but from listening to him on the DVD I didn't get the feeling that formal music theory was very important to him if that's what you meant? I thought he did a good job of going into detail about how he achieves his tone and smooth style which I think is what he is known for, at least for me, that's why I bought the DVD.
At a recent festival I thought Adam's tone was the best of the weekend from the stage, on the DVD I thought it was sort of run of the mill, he could make any mandolin sound like that and I am sure it was the same axe! So I don't know what that means??

Perry
Jul-18-2007, 11:53am
Here's my take:

As in all Acutab productions the video quality, lighting etc.. are superb. Great back-up band with Kenny Smith on guitar.

Adam comes off as a nice humble guy. His facial expressions remind me of Sam's a little.

Adam does take a long time to say something though so I think the fact that it is a two DVD set is perhaps a little misleading.

In relation to the cost of an instruments a DVD is cheap so I like to buy them all. These guys are masters and they all have something to say that we can learn from. Adam's discussion and demonstration on how he builds a solo up from the bare bones melody is cool.

If you want to learn or already play some of the songs that Adam teaches then you will learn some different twists and turns.

If you like this DVD you should also pick up the Herschel Sizemore DVD from Acutab. Just a pure pleasure to watch and listen to.

El Greco
Jul-19-2007, 11:05am
Man, when I see that glistening fingerboard on Adam's mandolin, I just want to snatch it from the screen http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The DVD is nice. Yes, Adam is a slow speaker, but he lets the playing do the talking. Nice background stories too. East Tennessee by far the easiest piece in my opinion... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

tkdboyd
Jul-19-2007, 11:23am
I took so much from the first DVD that I haven't gone back to work on the second DVD. I am really trying to approach the melody line as being the 'be all'. Playing every melody line that I can think of in multiple places and multiple keys. I have plenty of finger speed-of course I am no Thile, Marshall, etc-and I try to play too much. That first DVD really spoke to me in a sense telling me to slow down, breath, and concentrate on tasteful melody based instrumental breaks.
It is amazing how difficult it is to play slow, clean, and precise!

Perry
Jul-19-2007, 11:52am
[/QUOTE]It is amazing how difficult it is to play slow, clean, and precise![QUOTE]

Yeah 'cause I can play fast, sloppy and innacurate in my sleep http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

The staying close to the melody thing is something we all hear and read about but watching Adam work some stuff out helps it sink in.

As mentioned check out Hershel's if you get a chance. He is a very clean smooth player too.

ilovemyF9
Jul-19-2007, 12:27pm
Ok- Here is my beef- During the tune "East Tennessee Blues" Adam hits the 8th fret of the e course and it is NOWHERE to be seen on the TAB- So much for "accu-Tab". The tab booklet assures you that there are some inaccuracies, (fair enough), BUT in the Fast Split Screen sections the booklet assures you that it is accurate. It is not! I am not impressed!! I think the people at Accu-tab read/post here, if so, can you post the correct Tab on your web site, PLEASE?
Thank you,

ronlane3
Jul-19-2007, 1:20pm
James, I'm not at home to look at my tabs, but I almost know it's there on mine. (Atleast I have been playing that 8th fret with my pinky.)

ilovemyF9
Jul-19-2007, 1:38pm
Hi Ron, I am not a home as well and I am sure it is not on the Tab.
Just a side note: I very much enjoy this DVD, it's a very Professional package but I'm new to the Mandolin and the mistake seems to slow me down. I think most mando players appreciate that when you get rollin' it is a bit of a bummer to stop for something like a Tab mistake.

fredfrank
Jul-19-2007, 6:15pm
Third line down, last measure (14th measure), on the E string--03053853 as he wraps up the first part of the tune.

ilovemyF9
Jul-20-2007, 8:45am
Dear All,

I am very sorry but- the error is not with Acu-Tab but with me. The Tab is correct. I apologies again to all at Acu-Tab. My wife pointed out to me, or should I say Mr. Magoo, that the Tab was right. I am off to the optometrist tomorrow.
MY BAD!!!!

Sorry again for the waste of time post!!!
James

chip
Jul-21-2007, 9:40am
Ok, well we have a general consensus on the dvd so I'll add my thoughts. I wasn't impressed. My money was much better spent on the Chris Thiele DVD of years past along with the Butch Baldassari DVD. One CD and 4 times as much information as this two DVD set. I felt there was way too much chit chat and the time being spent spinning yarns and general conversation could have been spent on actual tab and technique. This could have easily been condensed into one DVD. With all the free lessons available on the net along with the $60 you can spend on bluegrasscollege.org for 12 complete songs it seems this is not a very good value to me. Just my thoughts.

NoNickel
Jul-21-2007, 9:58am
I disagree. What you called chit chat, I found very informative. So far, along with my Butch Baldassari DVD's, the best I have seen, My 2 cents.