PDA

View Full Version : New glenn

AppBrookie
Jul-12-2007, 3:03pm
Just got my Glenn Student F Model from Allen Jones last week, I'm extremely pleased with it. Sounds great even w/ my sub par skills!!
I wanted something in a satin finish with no binding or inlay, the results are better than what I expected, I love the simplicity of it. My only upgrade was an Allen Tailpiece.
Allen is building a great mandolin for the money!!!

AppBrookie
Jul-12-2007, 3:04pm
The Back

AppBrookie
Jul-12-2007, 3:06pm
Overall

Mark Walker
Jul-12-2007, 3:06pm
Elegant and simple! Congrats! Looks like a fine 'student' instrument!

Not many start off with a custom-built mandolin. Enjoy!

JHo
Jul-12-2007, 5:19pm
That looks really nice. I've been thinking about picking up a Glenn myself. They seem like a terrific value, and I agree about the elegant simplicity. That is one heck of a "student" instrument. I don't know many students that start with anything near that nice either. You're a lucky individual. Enjoy.

JEStanek
Jul-12-2007, 8:13pm
I'll hear none of that "for the money" nonsense. That's a fine mandolin. All that glitters isn't gold and all that's plain isn't worthless.

Jamie

cooper4205
Jul-13-2007, 9:15am
Looks good, do you have a closer shot of the scroll and the peghead? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these soon.

PhiloCortez
Jul-13-2007, 2:22pm
I just got word that my Glenn is strung up and ready to be shipped. #Very psyched for it to arrive!

ruraltradpunk
Jul-14-2007, 4:05pm
What a simple, understated beauty! Congratulations!

RTP

Leevon DeCourley
Jul-14-2007, 10:46pm
I live about an hour and a half from Allen and I have played a few of his mandolins. I saw him last weekend and he had a student a with him. Was a really good mandolin. Come to think of it i don't think i have played a bad Glenn.

earthsave
Jul-14-2007, 10:54pm
Very nice!

THE FAY GUY
Jul-15-2007, 3:13pm
Very Nice mando!

Frank Russell
Jul-16-2007, 10:39am
Mike, are you the FAY Guy, or the FAT Guy?

8_stringer
Jul-16-2007, 10:50am
I've only played one Glenn and it sounds awesome. My band mate calls it his beater when compared to his Weber bighorn. But side by side with the Weber, the Glenn holds it's own no problem. It is very full and choppy sounding when compared to the Weber. The Weber being more smooth and silky. I was tempted to put ear plugs in when he first got it and started playing it in our group, because it just overpowered everyone's instrument. It was too loud until he backed off a little.
Is there such a thing as a mandolin being too loud?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gifhttp://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

MandoSquirrel
Jul-16-2007, 3:47pm
Not when there's a b***o around. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Reid Morsi
Jul-20-2007, 11:14pm
That Glenn is a beauty...no questions about it.
I have been considering gettin one of these, and trying to decide weather i want to go with a nice lower end Collings or Weber, or have Allen Jones put something together for me. I shot him an email the other day about custom options, availability, and pricing and i was really surprised how cheap his prices were (top of the line standard F-5 for like $2200) and his response was prompt and very informative, and it seems like he would be willing to do quite a bit of custom stuff. Not to mention he was very friendly and knowledgeable. It makes me ponder about going your route, and having a Glenn be the next mando i own.
Either way nice F-style from what seems like a great luthier.

Roydw3
Aug-02-2007, 8:30pm
Ok, guys and gals, I am just days away from getting my new Glenn F5. I am so excited. Allen Jones is one of the greatest guys I have ever dealt with. He has been a great communicator and has been very helpful during the build. The mandolin looks great and he says it sounds fantastic. I will send pictures and my review when it comes in and I play it for a few days. If you are in the market for a custom mandolin, I recommend Allen just on his character, and I am sure that recommendation will be even greater once I have the mando in hand.