PDA

View Full Version : New mandolin ordered

sroberts
Jul-11-2007, 1:42pm
Well, based on info I got here (Thanks) and a lot of research on my own, I made a decision and ordered my first Mandolin. I am getting an Eastman 515 all "Tricked out and voodooized" and upgraded Nut/bridge by Steve Perry from Gianna's. I think this will be the best deal for me whom wanted a mid level(by my standards) Mandolin to start off with that won't frustrate me and make me happy to play it and learn. I didn't want to break the bank either since I have many guitars, banjo's etc. and this is not my primary instrument. Thanks to all who take the time to post and share their knowleadge.

JHo
Jul-11-2007, 2:22pm
Congratulations. I have a classic varnished 615 from Steve which I'm quite happy with, and I feel that Steve's voodooed Eastmans are a terrific value, especially the 5 and 6 series. Having tried other off-the-shelf Eastmans, my voodooed one clearly (to me) beat out the others that I tried, granted they were all green when I tried them. Also mine has opened up a whole lot since I got it (late 2005, oops said 1995 in original post), and it sounds way better than it did then. I assume yours will probably do the same as it gets played in. Anyway, good for you. Enjoy.

Eric F.
Jul-12-2007, 10:54am
Jason, you must have been a little ahead of the curve there if you got your Eastman in late 1995!

And congrats to you, Steve. Enjoy it!

JHo
Jul-12-2007, 11:52am
Funny. Thanks Eric. Good catch, I did not actually get my 615 eight or so years before Eastman ever started making them. Make that 2005 not 1995, as much as I would like to think of myself as a trend setter. I type faster than I think sometimes, and that was a fine example. I wish I could play as fast as I can type. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif