PDA

View Full Version : Was it stolen?

John_Bennett
Jul-08-2007, 12:57pm
I scraped together all I could spare ($1100), hoping to win the 1955 Martin 2-15 mando. (Just knowing I wouldn't). It ended up going for $1125. :-(

Now I know it's not a Gibson, and is therefor handicapped automatically, but still... it appeared to be in pristine condition.

I can't get over it, a 52 yr old mado, looking like it was never outa the box till now, made by an exceptional guitar maker, who does not produce mandos anymore (well, the backpacker).

Is there something I just don't get?? $1125.00 doesn't even get ya a really nice new one nowadays.

What gives??

Why did it go so cheap??

What's it really worth??

Was I saved from a huge mistake, or should I have hocked my car?? :-)

John_Bennett
Jul-08-2007, 1:18pm
Whoops!! I just noticed that this forum is for pre 1945. My bad. If someone who has the capability to move it, wants to, feel free.

12 fret
Jul-08-2007, 1:20pm
I'm guessing you were watching the one on Ebay that ended yesterday. Simple answer is that there is just less demand for Martin mandolins. They sound good but do not sound like the dominant Gibson tone that is in demand. I like the sound of the ones I've had a chance to play and wouldn't mind having one but don't expect them to ever appreciate like Gibsons unless something happens to increase their visibilty and appeal

Jim Garber
Jul-08-2007, 10:14pm
2-15s are among the most common of the Martin carved mandolins. Sweet sounding but not exactly loud instruments. I bought and sold one for less that that two years ago. Nicely made by Martin. Some have problems in the top center seam.

Jim

mythicfish
Jul-08-2007, 11:02pm
"Vintage" does not necessarilly mean expensive,rare or desireable.

Curt

John_Bennett
Jul-08-2007, 11:09pm
Yes, on ebay "vintage" just means used. Still, I like the look, and the name. Never played one, and assumed it would be at least a good sounding mando, if not excellent.

Thanks for the input all!!

mrmando
Jul-09-2007, 12:46am
Overpriced at $1125. Keep looking on eBay; 2-15s come and go there, but I would hope you can still get one in the $800-1,000 range.