PDA

View Full Version : What mandolin should i get?

wareagle15
Jul-07-2007, 9:42am
im 15 and i want to start the mandolin and i was wondering what kind i should get for under $300

ab4usa
Jul-07-2007, 9:47am
Myu vote is for a Kentucky 254 (I think) from Elderly. All solid wood and a 14 fret neck.

Soupy1957
Jul-07-2007, 10:10am
Take some time and search in here, and you will find a plethora of opinions on this topic, and yet..here are my votes:

Kentucky
Washburn
Michael Kelly
Epiphone
"The Loar"
Fender
Eastman
JBovier

I'm sure I left some out, but someone else will fill the gap.

"A" style or "F" style depending on your personal preference, and $500.00 - $600.00 for your first one, (in case you don't like it), and you should be ok.

-Soupy1957

P.S.: You CAN buy a "Johnson" or a "Dean" (two examples) for a couple hundred dollars that may or may not be "ok" for learning on, but I'd go into the higher-priced ones for a better chance at an instrument that won't have any really BIG issues.

DryBones
Jul-07-2007, 11:45am
what kind of music do you want to play? you can add Mid-Missouri or Big Muddy to Soupy's list if you want a good flat-top. look for a used one around your price range.

John Flynn
Jul-07-2007, 11:58am
I'm with Alan. In your $300 price range, I think getting the best Kentucky you can afford from a reputable dealer like Elderly is a great way to go regardless of the type of music you want to play. I think Kentucky is the most consistent brand in that price range. I have played and heard some that are just amazing for the money. The specs on that KM-254 makes it look like a fine deal for $295. Elderly does a set up on those and they have great customer service. You could do a lot worse.

JEStanek
Jul-07-2007, 11:59am
I suggest you buy a used A style mandolin with that budget. You'll get a better instrument and loose practically no money (unless you trash it) if/when you upgrade or want to unload it. Those listed above are great to get started on. If you buy a new imported mandolin and don't get it from a shop that will specifically set it up, you'll need to invest another 50-100 on a proper set up (adjust/fit bridge, check the nut, change the strings) and you'll be good to go.

A final suggestion, a Kentucky KM150S or Johnson MF120 will run you $200 set up from folks like Elderly (http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM150S.htm) and you'll have $100 left for lessons to get you started well.

Jamie

wareagle15
Jul-07-2007, 1:12pm
thanks for yalls help, so kentucky mandolins are pretty good? I dont need a super awesome one to start out i need one just to get me going and hopefully get me started on my mandolin journey. Thanks

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

B. T. Walker
Jul-07-2007, 8:48pm
Okay. #Hear that MAS train a-rollin' right now, and it won't be long coming to your station. #Don't feel guilty or special when it arrives -- we are all individuals just like everyone else. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif In the meantime, enjoy.

homeslice
Jul-08-2007, 12:10am
That Kentucky 250 is certainly the way to go from my perspective. All solid wood and a radiused fingerboard(easier to play). Under the $300 I just cant see doing much better. Ive played two different ones and they both sound better than my $800 Morgan Monroe..even after I got it tweaked and set up properly. Wish I had discovered this site before buying cause Id be $500 richer. Good luck!

mandroid
Jul-08-2007, 2:17am
Still say a Weber SweetPea would be good, or a Martin Backpacker.
You may aspire to an F5, but the first one wont have to be sold off , as it will always be a handy one to take everywhere , for maximized practice opportunitys. and they are well made, durable, instruments.

I'd sling the backpacker gig bag over my shoulder and jump on the bicycle and go look for someone to play with.

(went there did that , with a Lil Leo, smaller, "worse" tone but still fun way )
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Greg H.
Jul-08-2007, 11:12pm
Still say a Weber SweetPea would be good, or a Martin Backpacker.

For a travel or backpacking mandolin maybe. And I confess I haven't played a SweetPea but the Martin backpacker just doesn't have the tone to even put it in the range of the lower end Kentuckys (the 4 that I've played sounded rather like strings on a 2/4). Also, I don't believe the SweetPea quite fits under $300 (just over yes but. . . .).

Of course it does make a difference what kind of music it's being used for. wareagle15, what kind of music to you want to play (it makes a great difference in what kind of mandolin we might suggest)? If you're wanting to play bluegrass then by all means the Kentucky is the best route for you. If however, you're wanting to play celtic then I think a used BigMuddy (formerly known as Mid Missouri) would be your best bet. If you're wanting to play classical or rock then there may be other choices that would fit better.

grassrootphilosopher
Jul-09-2007, 4:44am
If you like the beatup appearance of an incredibly cool mandolin that will blow away all of the other mandolins in that price range (and most others at a much higher price), that is about 70 years old (you might call that vintage) and that is generaly overlooked, and if you have the chance to check one out get a Strad-O-Lin. They are a ton of bang for the buck. Dealers like Lowell Levinger and Elderly Instuments have them once in a while.