PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Rooster
May-20-2004, 9:52pm
It was a little muggy outside at a jam this evening. When I got home and started to wipe down my mandolin I noticed a white coloration on the back where it rested against my shirt. I have a varnish finish mandolin that is three years old. I was able to rub most of it out but what is the standard of care when this happens? Seems like I've seen something about this posted before.

Thanks,

Jeff

Michael Lewis
May-21-2004, 1:32am
A light French polish should take care of the "blush". Remember that varnish finishes are on the delicate side. It may require a bit more finessing, but should be alright. Just remember that these things are only new once.

8_Strang_Twang
May-21-2004, 2:37am
I've had the same problem and it went away on its own after 10/12 hours. I think it just needed to completey dry out but thats just a guess. Good luck!

250sc
May-21-2004, 5:47am
If your problem is just with the back you could try a Tonegard. It will keep the mando away from your body, preventing the discoloration and might improve your tone and/or volume.

Rooster
May-21-2004, 7:07am
Thanks to all for the feedback. I appreciate all of the suggestions. I have been thinking about a toneguard so that is certainly an option I will look into more closely. Regarding the French Polish, what exactly is involved with the process. Or where could I find out about it?

I certainly feel better about what happened.

Thanks again!!!

Tiderider
May-21-2004, 7:31am
Rooster, here's a great link for french polishing.

http://www.milburnguitars.com/fpbannerframes.html

TonyP.
May-21-2004, 2:12pm
Thanks for the great url lownote. I would also like you Rooster to refer to the FAQ on the Tone-Gard.com website about Tone-Gards and shellac finishes. There is a trade off most don't seem to know about with shellac and there is no "perfect" solution.

Rooster
May-21-2004, 7:24pm
Wow TonyP, I checked the site out and must say I'm not as comfortable with using the tone gard now even though I ordered one from Boyd's today. I suppose I'll just have to be really careful. I've not had this happen before even though I live in the south. Probably haven't played outside when it is hot that much though.

TonyP.
May-21-2004, 11:34pm
I think if the finish on your mando is still soft you should think about using a Tone-Gard. It's not the gard's fault that kind of finish is so delicate. I'm more worried about satisfied customers than selling "units".
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif