PDA

View Full Version : February Don Stiernberg Workshops

Ted Eschliman
Feb-02-2004, 11:02pm
Coming up Saturday, February 21st is an opportunity you Midwest jazzers absolutely can't pass up. Already scheduled for quadruple heart-by pass surgery? Skip it, this is more important...
Don Stiernberg Workshops, Lawrence, KS (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/article_48.shtml)
There's always time to learn something from the Master himself, The "Don," Disciple of Jethro, and one of the nicest guys on the planet. If you're dragging your feet on this one, here's your chance:
If you haven't confirmed with Scott or Thom on your attendance, I'll pay the $40 tuition personally for the first three people who can answer this trivia question:
<span style='color:blue'>What key is "C Jam Blues" most commonly played in?</span>
Email me at tedthro@aol.com with your answer. (Sorry if you've already paid for your spot, but this is for you fence-sitters that lived under the illusion there was something more important going on that day...)
Already going? Cool, but you'll have to fight me for who gets the closest seat up front!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

crosspicker
Feb-03-2004, 2:33am
Do you know what kind of stuff he'll be demonstrating in the workshop? Will he be handing out any written material or is it best to bring a tape recorder? Are you expected to bring your mandolin with you to the workshop?

Joel Glassman
Feb-03-2004, 6:27am
Duke Ellington once called it in C# as a joke on jazz fiddler Stuff Smith.

PlayerOf8
Feb-05-2004, 6:42am
I think it is in the key of H or K. I know Don plays it in J#.

GM

phynie
Feb-05-2004, 10:18am
Ahhhhh, the one with all those k flat minors! I see!

Ted Eschliman
Feb-05-2004, 5:18pm
All kidding aside (you guys crack me up...), I still do have a "scholarship" left.
(Yes, unlike my favorite genre, the offer is quite legit.)

Ted Eschliman
Feb-11-2004, 9:57am
Thanks folks, the contest is over and we have our three winners. Phone lines are now locked.
For those of you that don't know the answer to the trivia question, I'm afraid you'll just have to wonder...
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Scott Tichenor
Feb-21-2004, 8:39am
And too bad some of you couldn't make it. Don and I went Arthur Bryants for lunch yesterday--that's the most famous BBQ joint on the planet since the 1930's for those of you that think the ultimate BBQ is made by chubby cute young white guys from Texas whose aprons are always clean. Stuffed to the gills we hopped over to the Kansas City Jazz Museum and Negro Baseball League Hall of Fame. I though Don was going to cry when he saw an autographed Ernie Banks mitt. Last night time we had a big jam at the house, spilled beer all over the carpet and played tunes until midnight. John Eubanks from New Orleans was with us, and what a monster guitar & mandolin player he is. Wow. The cameras were aflashing all evening as both cats sampled a variety of the new mandolin cases.

In the house: John's 1996 Nugget F + my 2001 of the same. Jethro's old mandolin that Ted just bought (yes, that Jethro), Don's spankin' new Collings MF5 + mine of the same, Ted's blue Rigel and a spectacular Lewis Django model that's on loan to Ted--but maybe not for long. John's Shelly Park Selmer style guitar, my plastic white Maccaferri guitar. Probably a bunch of others.

Now I'm listening to cuts of Don's future release of jazz standards. Heh, heh. Life is pretty good. Now I'm off to the workshops for the day. Imaging this x 10 and you have Mandofest (http://www.mandolincafe.com).

Ted Eschliman
Feb-22-2004, 10:01am
Three of the "distinguished" guests at the pre-event jam:
Michael Lewis "Django" and a couple o' Nuggets...

Scott Tichenor
Feb-22-2004, 11:11am
Those were just a few of the cool mandolins. They were aplenty this weekend.

Great results from the Stiernberg workshops. Don is such a world class guy and so capable of sharing his knowledge and making it applicable to everyone. One of my students, a fairly newbie celtic player showed up with an octave mandolin and most of this was beyond her interest but she pulled me aside and shared a few things she had learned. That was impressive.

Public thank you to Ted for his financial support, encouragement, participation, and taxi-driving skills on Saturday getting Don back to the airport so I could go promptly home at the end of the day Saturday and spend some quality time with my couch, er, I mean family.

Lots of mandolin happenings in my town. Here's a small list (http://www.americana-music.org/courses/workshops.html) of just stuff at the Americana Music Academy where I teach. Yes, that's my ugly balding head on top of that page. And I am, indeed, the host of the world's first and only Turlough O'Carolan BBQ next month.

Karen Kay
Feb-22-2004, 8:41pm
An unnamed twosome

WSE
Feb-23-2004, 9:53am
Hey Ted,
Can you offer your impressions of the Michael Lewis "Django" model? There is no information on his web site regarding such a great looking instrument. Thanks!

Ted Eschliman
Feb-23-2004, 1:20pm
Happy to, Bill.
I'll admit my initial apprehension for even looking at a more niche market product like a "Gypsy" style mando. (Love Django jazz, but that's not all I do.)
When Michael introduced my to his "child" in California, I was intrigued by the craftsmanship alone (the detailing is to DIE for...) so I gladly picked it up to play.
What astounded me was its potential for OTHER genres. I favor jazz and classical, which always has me demanding warmth and sustain. A big "YES!" on both accounts. I also want a "sweetness" but need the hard to put into words "richness" that comes out of a fuller spectrum of complex overtones.
On closer inspection after hearing it, and doing my usual "WHY does this sound so good?" I noticed the engineering "choices," a pickgard that never comes in contact with the top, a choice of woods that is as aurally beautiful as visual, and again, the detail on the headstock and binding.
You can tell when a craftsman puts his soul into his project. This is the real deal.
As a disclaimer, I have no financial interest in Michael Lewis Instruments. I just like good mandolins, and especially ones that break traditions without defying the common sensibilities of tradition. That and an instrument that makes a mandolin a melody instrument rather than a percussion, will always get me talking.
Officially, the instrument is on loan for me to show off and get acquainted. Now, if I can just get Mrs. Mandohack to go along with it...

Karen Kay
Feb-23-2004, 10:32pm
Don S. & Richard at the Saturday A.M. workshop

Karen Kay
Feb-23-2004, 10:33pm
Don S & Mackie Redd at the Saturday A.M. workshop