PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good instructor

Nicholas
May-20-2004, 10:32am
Does anyone know of a quality mando instructor in the middle TN area (around Nashville)? Looking for bluegrass/country style instruction.

You'd think it'd be easy in Nashville, but I've only come across guitar instructors who tell me they could teach mando.

Help!

TIA

AlanN
May-20-2004, 10:39am
Check with David Harvey. You can get his number by calling Gibson at the Mall. Not sure if he's still doing private lessons, but it's worth a shot. He good!

John Flynn
May-20-2004, 10:41am
Mike Compton gives lessons near Nashville. He said he charges $50 an hour, but it's probably worth it! I know I learned more from him per hour in a workshop than I had in weeks with some other instructors.

oh danny boy
May-20-2004, 10:54am
Check at Vanderbilt, Butch Baldassari teaches mando classes some of the time, he is on staff there. I took one a couple of years ago and learned a lot.

Jonathan James
May-20-2004, 11:17am
And I believe Roland White gives lessons in the area as well when he's not on the road...

BigJoe
May-20-2004, 1:04pm
Dave Harvey is at the Valley Arts Store and he does give lessons. He is one of the most incredible players on the planet. Then lets not forget Roland White. One of the finest people and mando players here. Either would be a good choice and they both do lessons. If you need more info, you can pm me and I will get with you.

bluegrassjack2
May-20-2004, 2:14pm
friend of mine in NC takes lessons from Roland. He likes him really well.

Nicholas
May-20-2004, 2:20pm
Sounds like a deal!

I'm going to try to set something up with Mr. Harvey. Sounds like it'll be well worth it.

I can't say how much I appreciate everyone's immediate and enthusiastic help. This forum is fantastic. I'm happy to be a member here and I look forward to communicating with you guys in the future.

Thanks!

Bradley
May-20-2004, 6:55pm
I wish I lived close enough to get lessons with Dave Harvey....HE is the Man.

Nicholas
May-20-2004, 7:44pm
I spoke with him today and he is going to try and fit me in. With any luck I'll be signed up within a week or two.

Nicholas
May-28-2004, 4:23pm
YESSSS!!!!! I'm hooked up with the man!!!! I'm PUMPED!

Thanks again for the tip!

Nicholas