PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin going sharp

Chopsuey
May-20-2004, 9:18am
My Randy Wood has been consistently going sharp, mid song at the past three gigs I have played. Maybe it is moisture/humidity, but it is driving me crazy. Any ideas/suggestions? it is mainly the A and D strings that are doing it. My tuners are a little loose, but I dont see how they could be winding tighter to make the string go sharp.

Thanks

John Rosett
May-20-2004, 9:31am
hey- don't take this the wrong way, but are you lubricating your nut? alot of times, the strings can hang up in the nut while getting streched from playing, causing the note to go sharp. try rubbing a little grapite or pencil lead into the string slots at the nut and bridge while you're changing strings.
good luck, john

John Flynn
May-20-2004, 9:33am
I don't have an easy answer for you, but my experience is that my mandos tend to go sharp more than they tend to go flat. Go figure! I do know that string tension is not a simple thing. It is the result of several opposing forces, not all under the player's control!

Three things I would try, but no guarantees: First, I have come to suspect that temperature changes are a big culprit. I would let my mando acclimatize to the room longer before playing, checking the tuning periodically. Second, I would play the instrument harder and longer before the gig starts. Really get it "warmed up," again checking the tuning periodically. Third, make sure your nut slots are not too tight and they are well lubed with graphite. Good luck!