PDA

View Full Version : Weber 10th anniversary practice mando

Rick Banuelos
Jun-20-2007, 9:52am
Press releases and so-on are going to follow, but I had to post the early results. Bruce is going to hand-build ten F-style mandolins for our tenth anniversary. He used this a-style to practice and hone many of the techniques and appointments that will go into the 'F'. The actual 10th anniversary mandolin will be a bit different, but this mandolin looks and sounds so beautiful that I figured I'd share it. It's one-of-a-kind, going to the Fret Art Gallery in Alta Loma, CA.

The spec:
Spruce & Maple (of course)
Flame Maple Binding & Pearl purfling
Custom Color & Gloss Spirit Varnish
Custom Inlay

Rick Banuelos
Jun-20-2007, 9:53am
Detail of the f-hole; Bruce bound them by hand.

Rick Banuelos
Jun-20-2007, 9:54am
Binding detail.

Rick Banuelos
Jun-20-2007, 9:59am
More Binding detail.

Rick Banuelos
Jun-20-2007, 10:00am
Back

Rick Banuelos
Jun-20-2007, 10:03am
Heel cap. The crossed f-holes signify the roman numeral 'X'.

Rick Banuelos
Jun-20-2007, 10:05am
Neck detail

Rick Banuelos
Jun-20-2007, 10:06am
Rib detail.

You know, now that I look at these, the photos don't do any justice to the mando. *sigh*

pickinNgrinnin
Jun-20-2007, 10:08am
Outrageous!

The binding work on this Mando is nothing short of incredible. I generally don't like the look of a bound F hole but this is an exception. Bruce has done this with a very subtle touch and look. Very impressive.

Congratulations on the 10 year anniversary. I hope you are are building out there in Montana for generations to come.

[QUOTE]He used this a-style to practice and hone many of the techniques and appointments that will go into the 'F'.

It looks like Bruce is beyond the honing stage! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

B. T. Walker
Jun-20-2007, 10:13am
Uuuhhhh! <drooling like Homer Simpson> Purfling!

That mando is too much, and that's a good thing.

Lucky art gallery!

Wesley
Jun-20-2007, 10:16am
I've wondered if with the duties and demands of a growing company if someone like Bruce is actually able to spend any time building mandolins? It looks like my question has been answered.

JEStanek
Jun-20-2007, 10:17am
Wow! That looks great. I like the black on the inside of the f-hole binding.

Jamie

red7flag
Jun-20-2007, 11:16am
Like pickin, I usually don't like bound f holes, and also like pickin, due to the delicacy of the approach, I really like the result. Beautiful work and concept of the entire instrument. Rick, what is the retail price of the A model and do you have a price on the upcoming F model?
Tony

Doug Edwards
Jun-20-2007, 11:48am
Masterpiece, nothing less! Encredible job on the binding! WOW!

Perry
Jun-20-2007, 11:52am
Uh.....gee I like the A style just like it is.....too bad it's gonna get ruined with a scroll http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Nick Triesch
Jun-20-2007, 1:39pm
Bruce Weber just entered a new era of fine mandolin building. I have never seen such fine work. Nick

MandoSquirrel
Jun-20-2007, 4:06pm
Like pickin, I usually don't like bound f holes, and also like pickin, due to the delicacy of the approach, I really like the result. Beautiful work and concept of the entire instrument. Rick, what is the retail price of the A model and do you have a price on the upcoming F model?
Tony
Me, too. Usually the binding is too "loud", I like "plainer" instruments, but This is Gorgeous with a Capital George.

JohnF
Jun-20-2007, 10:34pm
OK we're all drooling. Update that Web site already. We want more!!!! (Then again maybe it's just too painful to look - since I'm still paying off my A9)

DryBones
Jun-20-2007, 10:41pm
one of those times when its good to be a lefty so I don't get tempted. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandopete
Jun-21-2007, 10:48am
That's off the chart - amazing!

MandoSquirrel
Jun-21-2007, 12:57pm
P>S>: Love the F Hole X

Kevin K
Jun-21-2007, 2:00pm
That is nice. Very clean details. Nice binding on the f-holes. Some great work there for sure.

Richard Russell
Jun-21-2007, 2:17pm
Fantastic looking mandolin! Please build a few more just like it!

Rick Banuelos
Jun-22-2007, 12:57pm
OOPS. I forgot to post a headstock detail.

cooper4205
Jun-22-2007, 1:08pm
Rick-

are all the Weber A's going to a snakehead headstock?

Rick Banuelos
Jun-22-2007, 2:08pm
Hyalites, Bridgers and Bitterroots will all have the "dog bone" shape. The rest will be snakehead.

Chris Biorkman
Jun-22-2007, 5:53pm
Great work. You guys are really raising the bar.

Lane Pryce
Jun-22-2007, 6:19pm
Pure sweetness. That is some kinda mandolin. Looks like Mr. Weber has reached a new plateau in his career. Lp

Jim Garber
Jun-22-2007, 8:46pm
I am especially impressed by the tastefullness of this anniversary model. I have seem two examples in the past few years of two prominent American guitar companies with exceptionally good taste otherwise producing absolute monstrosities of over the top inlay art for their anniversary models. This is the polar opposite in taste and craftsmanship. I look fwd to seeing more of Bruce's anniversary art.

Jim

Kevin Briggs
Jun-22-2007, 9:17pm
That's really beautiful, Rick. I'm having a hard time fathoming how that binding looks. It's a combination I haven't seen before.

How's the tone? Does it have that horse kicks the side of a car sound when chopped?

Rick Banuelos
Jun-23-2007, 12:43pm
We built this mandolin to the point of melding visual and tonal aesthetics; it sounds even better than it looks, and it plays like butter. I was sad to see it go.