PDA

View Full Version : Basic recording

Fliss
Jun-19-2007, 2:40pm
I'm looking for something that will enable me to do some simple recording - nothing fancy, just something to enable me to record my playing in order to track my progress and share sound files with friends. I'm not especially technically minded, so it needs to be easy to use.

A local music shop suggested a nice compact little device called the "Boss Micro BR recorder" which has 4 tracks, plus drums and effects for £149, but that might be overkill.

Please can anyone recommend something suitable - perhaps something I can hook up to my computer? Does anyone have any comments on the recorder the music shop suggested? Or any other advice to offer?

Fliss

ruraltradpunk
Jun-19-2007, 3:17pm
I'm in the same boat - been checking out basic recording devices too. I was looking at simple dictation devices in the Argos catalog - there are a few that can conect to your computer via USB - prices I saw were anywhere from €39 for a simple one with no USB connection. Then there seemed to be a jump to about €65 for devices with USB capabilities. There was a similar thread about a year ago over on the Fiddle Forum and alot of folks there seemed to be using MP3 players that had voice recording capabilities (I think Creative Zen where the ones mentioned the most...) to record themselves/sessions etc. The Boss Mirco BR sounds similiar to a digital 4-track device I recently saw an ad for - the "Zoom H4". The Zoom seems just the ticket but is quite pricey - €299. I'm going to check out how much they go for in the States and if the price is right may have a friend who's travelling over bring one for me.

RTP

swinginmandolins
Jun-19-2007, 3:30pm
My thoughts would be to find an inexpensive computer program for multitracking and a mic that you can plug into you computer line in(or get an adapter to do so) to start. I run my mics through an old cassette 4 track recorder, basically use it as a mixing board, into my computer and use mutitrack software to mix and add effects or what ever I need to do. I have seen recording software for around $80, you might even find it free online somewhere. If you get more into recording then you could get a standalone unit like has been mentioned or a USB, or firewire unit for running more mics into the computer. If you have a Mac I'm sure you have the same or better options with it.

12 fret
Jun-19-2007, 3:39pm
For good on the cheap, you might check Ebay for a used Tascam Pocketstudio 5. Mutlitrack that records in MP3 format onto CompactFlash cards. easy to use, you can get them for well under 200 USD , very good quality, and easy to transfer files to the computer to save or burn CD's

Jun-19-2007, 3:39pm
I use Music Creator 3 from Cakewalk. It's got all the basic recording studio functions and can convert your final product to MP3 or wav format and burn CD's. I'm actually very impressed with how much this program has and how user friendly it is for a mere $40.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/MusicCreator/

bradeinhorn
Jun-19-2007, 4:09pm
zoom h4?

Elliot Luber
Jun-19-2007, 8:38pm
I just use free Audacity recording and LAME compression software on my laptop with it's built in microphone. It's not perfect, but it's a free 16-track recorder. I use this to record corporate podcasts and the quality is great. Audacity site (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

Perry
Jun-20-2007, 8:23am
Fliss

Take a serious look at the Zoom H4. It functions as either a stand alone two track stereo recorder or a stand alone four track multi-track recording machine. It also doubles as a USB interface AND comes with some DAW (digital audio workstation) software. It has built in mics, effects, modeling, tuner, metronome etc...

To record simple tracks put it in stereo mode point the mics at your mando and hit record. Hit stop. Hook a USB cable to your computer and drag the files to your computer. Done.
Simple and effective IMHO.

I love the fact that I DON'T have to be tied to a computer to do recordings. Or if you prefer you CAN be tied to your computer with the Zoom H4. Very fleixible unit.

Google "ZOOM H4" for all the info you can ever want.

DryBones
Jun-20-2007, 9:05am
I use this with my iPod. $50 and it suites me fine for what you asked for.

iTalk (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/italkpro/)

ApK
Jun-20-2007, 9:08am
I just use free Audacity recording and LAME compression software on my laptop with it's built in microphone. It's not perfect, but it's a free 16-track recorder. I use this to record corporate podcasts and the quality is great. Audacity site (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)
I use the exact same setup, though I plug in an external, $3 microphone....

I love it.

The advantage to trying this setup (assuming you already have a computer with sound and a microphone) is that Audacity (and other free stuff like Krystal) are, 1, free, and 2, they are so feature rich, that you can learn a lot about what features are important to you before you spend any money at all. You can see how multi-track recording works, what's easy and what's hard, then when you check out the Zoom or the Boss or the Tascam stuff, you know what to look for.

ApK

AW Meyer
Jun-20-2007, 9:41am
If you want something really simple, just basic recording, no multi-tracking or drum tracks, try a digital voice recorder. I have one made by Olympus. It has a built-in mic and requires only one AAA battery. It's only slightly larger than a Bic lighter, so it fits easily in your pocket. The speaker in it doesn't sound very good, but the unit has a a headphone jack that gives good results. It also has a USB interface and the downloaded sound files sound fine. An external mic can be connected if you want. I've found it handy and simple to use for getting down song ideas. I take it with me to jam sessions and am happy with the results. It cost me around $50 (Canadian).

thistle3585
Jun-20-2007, 9:55am
I did use a digital recorder I got off ebay for $30.00 but ended up going with Audacity and a cheap mic on my computer.

Elliot Luber
Jun-20-2007, 10:30am
I bought an external radioshack dynamic mic (looks just like an audiotechnica) for like $30, simply because when I record an executive it LOOKS more professional. If you want to upgrade from Audacity, as it does occaissionally crash you can get a plug in two-channel mixer with a light version of excellent Steinberg software from either Lexicon (with great reverb) or Tascam (with a great mic) for very cheap.Lexicon (http://www.bizrate.com/musicalinstrumentsoftwaresamplecds/oid592259586.html), Tascam at Janet Davis (http://www.janetdavismusic.com/us-122.html) both just under $200.

Ed Fowler
Jun-20-2007, 2:05pm
Fliss,
I just picked up the Boss BR-Micro a week or two ago. I've tried recording onto my computer but always found it limiting having to sit at the computer. I was looking for something to record the Irish sessions I sit in on. Also I wanted something portable to listen to mp3s and play along with.

The Boss unit seems to have answered all my needs. It didn't take too long before I laid down a mando track with two other accompanying tracks to my satisfaction. The internal mic for the unit does a pretty good job of recording the Irish session in the pub as mp3. However, in the hall with the high ceilings, I'm going to need a better external mic.

For what it's worth.

Ed the Squid

Elliot Luber
Jun-20-2007, 2:07pm
If you're looking for simplicity, I guess a hand-held digital recorder is the way to go -- even the iTalk makes sense. But, if you have a laptop, you can convert it to a 16-track recorder for free, which is good too.

Fliss
Jun-20-2007, 2:37pm
Many thanks for all the responses. I have an iPod nano, so the iTalk looks like a nice easy option to try.

Edthesquid, thanks for the feedback on the Boss BR-Micro. It sounds as if it would be good - perhaps something to think about at a later stage.

Fliss

ruraltradpunk
Jun-20-2007, 6:13pm
I already have a Mac laptop with Garageband on it for recording, but I'm really interested in in a small portable device so as to have the ability to record sessions. Checked out the price difference and both the Zoom H4 and H2 are about half the price in the States as they are in Eire/UK, so I'm definitely gonna get a pal to bring one over for me when they're visiting.

RTP

Mike Buesseler
Jun-20-2007, 7:53pm
When you use Audacity with either an external, or especially, an internal mic, don't you get some computer fan noise in the mix? I always seem to. What's the solution to that? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Jun-20-2007, 8:20pm
When you use Audacity with either an external, or especially, an internal mic, don't you get some computer fan noise in the mix? #I always seem to. #What's the solution to that? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
laptop

Elliot Luber
Jun-20-2007, 8:25pm
I've never had an issue with internal noise, unless I touch the computer during recording.

Alex Orr
Jun-26-2007, 11:42am
I'm excited to try this http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I just cleaned out the basement of the house I rent with a couple of other folks and have turned it into a de facto music room. Now I'd like to start trying to record some stuff...just for fun and maybe to share my family and friends.

Money is somewhat tight for me and this is completely for the fun and the challenge, so I'll try the recomended strategy of using free audacity software and a laptop. If I go that way, does anyone have any recomendations on a cheap mic? If I'm going with a bargain basement external mic, would it really matter what kind I bought? My main thought about the mic is that it might be cool to try and add some washtub bass into the mix, and from previous experiences with my old amateur jug band, we found that the wash tub bass works best when recorded through a well-placed external mic rather than the internal laptop mic. I thought that four-tracking the washtub in with my guitar, mando, and either a resonator or harmonica (depending on the tune) could be really fun to try.

Pete Martin
Jun-26-2007, 12:01pm
Check out Reaper.

12 fret
Jun-26-2007, 12:50pm
Another portable to check out is the M Audio Microtrack 24/96. Its extremely simple to use and the quality of the recordings is great, even with the included T mic. TRS inputs if you want to use pro mics or take feeds from a sound system. Recent price drops have this in the same range as the Zooms If you want multi-track. go with the Zoom

jim_n_virginia
Jun-27-2007, 4:59am
does anyone have any recomendations on a cheap mic? #
I got two recording condesor mics from Guitar Center that come bundled together in a cool little case. It is the Marshall MXL 990 and the MXL 991, it is one large diaphram vocal mic and one intrument mic. I got both for $90.00 and they have worked perfectly.

They are not high dollar mics but they actually work pretty good for home stuff.

ApK
Jun-27-2007, 8:12am
I use one very similar to this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836131024

Works for me.

RobP
Jun-27-2007, 9:27am
doesnt foxtex still sell the mr8hd?

Don Grieser
Jun-27-2007, 9:44am
I played around with Audacity this weekend. Not trying to make studio-quality recordings, just getting some basic lead and rhythm tracks down. It was pretty easy to use. I've used it for podcasts too. Very nice editing features and easy to multitrack with it. I downloaded the new Tracktion 3 demo (a Mackie product) but haven't played with it yet. It's supposed to have more features, plug-ins, etc., but still user friendly.

8picker
Jun-27-2007, 1:20pm
i have a macbook, and have used the built in mic with garageband, and its pretty cool...i'm headin to the states in a few weeks and i'm thinking about getting an interface, cuz i have a few sm57's (or are they 58's?...the vocal, roundy ones) in the attic.
Has anyone used an interface with a macbook? anything i should consider before i take the plunge?

mando.player
Jun-27-2007, 2:18pm
As for interfaces, I'd go with a Firewire one instead of USB. It may cost more (not much) but you'll have less problems. I have a Presonus Inspire 1394 that works just fine. It can record 4 tracks at once and has two mic inputs w/phantom power. You can also power the unit via the Firewire bus. I've used this interface with GarageBand and Tracktion without any problems.

That being said, I tend to use my H4 more than the Presonus. It comes down to convenience. I've got a mini boom on my music stand that I mount the H4 to. So if I feel the need to record, all I have to do is turn it on and press a button. The mics on the H4 are actually very good. I recommend it for people just getting started. Since the H4 can also function as an audio interface it's a pretty good deal.

8picker
Jun-28-2007, 5:13am
thanks. so...i could use the h4 with garage band? how many inputs does it have?

mando.player
Jun-28-2007, 8:45am
The H4 does two tracks at a time.

mando.player
Jun-28-2007, 8:47am
The H4 does two tracks at a time.

jeromie
Jun-28-2007, 9:15am
Has anyone here tried the blue snowball mic? It looks interesting - it plugs directly into the computer via usb, but is supposed to offer pretty high quality. It seems like one of the less expensive ways to get a high quality recording, since it doesn't require a separate box to plug the mic into. I've been contemplating doing some simple recording myself, and this is the avenue I've been considering.

ApK
Jun-28-2007, 9:40am
Has anyone here tried the blue snowball mic? It looks interesting - it plugs directly into the computer via usb, but is supposed to offer pretty high quality. It seems like one of the less expensive ways to get a high quality recording, since it doesn't require a separate box to plug the mic into. I've been contemplating doing some simple recording myself, and this is the avenue I've been considering.
My only hesitation with high-quality USB mics is that it seems you'd better better be sure you're going to do all your recording on a computer, 'cuz it's a one-trick pony.

If you find you then want to get a mixing board or a portable device, or visit someone else's studio setup, you'll need another mic anyway, so there goes your cost savings.

In other words, it seems like a neat idea for a dedicated laptop setup, but a standard mic and preamp seems more flexible if you're only going to by one.

J.Albert
Jun-28-2007, 10:51am
<< could use the h4 with garage band? how many inputs does it have? >>

I don't have an H4 myself (I use a Presonus Firebox with my Mac g4 to record), but it looks like a dandy match to use with Garageband on the Mac, and it functions as a standalone recorder, as well.

I believe the H4 has something called "4-track mode" when used as a standalone, permitting you to go back and add a track or two to existing tracks.

When plugged into the Mac as an audio interface for use with Garageband, it will have 2 inputs. In addition, you will have the option of using its XLR inputs with phantom power for condensor mics. The built in H4 mikes offer some nice features, though, including a fixed X/Y pattern for stereo mic'ing, and I understand it even has "mic modeling" to mimic the response of other notable mics, such as the Neumann U87. Could be wrong on this last point, perhaps others will clarify.

The H4 also comes bundled with Cubase LE, which you will find gives you a lot more recording power and potential. It has a bit of a learning curve, but the hill isn't that steep and I'm guessing if I could climb it, anyone can (laughs).

All in all, the H4 looks to be one of the most interesting of the current crop of standalone digital recorders out there.

- John

James P
Jun-28-2007, 2:45pm
Home recording is a dangerous road to go down. #It starts out innocently enough - the $150 interface, a mic off of Craigslist. #Pretty soon you're digging into your MAS monies for exotic micpres or gold plated patch cords. #Beware all ye who enter here! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Phil Hopkins
Jun-28-2007, 9:30pm
Thanks to Fliss for starting this thread. I've been wanting to figure out how to record. Following the suggestions, I downloaded both Audacity (and Lame) and Krystal. So I thought I'd offer a "review" of these from the point of view of someone not all that knowledgeable about these sort of programs or recording audio. I brought home a Shure mic from work (nothing great) and plugged it into the laptop and went to work. Both programs were easy to install, but the Audacity never really worked well. It could be the mic, or perhaps my laptop's sound card, but I couldn't get good volume in the recording. And when I tried to export to .wav and .mp3, it screwed things up. Never did get a good output file.

So I fired up the Krystal and was much happier. Good volume, easy interface. And I could output to .wav easily. Although the resulting files won't play through Windows Media Player. They will play with Realplayer and I can convert them to .mp3 with Itunes, so that they play with whatever player I choose.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll throw my vote behind Krystal.

TonyP
Jun-28-2007, 10:15pm
Apk, and James have very good points. There's no reason to me to get something that can't be used elsewhere. A good mic is worth it because you can use it to record or play out. And James it right, all this is just "gateway" to bigger and better stuff. Next thing you know, you need a better program, interface, mics, better 'puter, it's never ending.
I've been on a mission to catch up on the stuff I already have. I've got an old school Akai 12trk analog tape, porta studio. Which it's not, it's huge and 100lbs! And getting crotchity in it's old age. So, I found on *bay a deal on the digital version of it. 12trk hdd, porta studio. 1/5 the size, and 1/10th the weight. The old one has a 40pg manual, the newer one(it's now also old school, but NOS for $200!)but it's got a 170pg manual, built in efx, and way smarter than I am.
And this has snowballed into trying to find a good multitrack program to be able to mix down/master with. So far, being a Cool Edit guy, Audition has proven to be the quickest and least painful of all the demo's I've tried. So, now to try to find the time to learn all this stuff, and still practice. Still, probably the best way to keep "old timers" at bay, I think.

Pete Martin
Jun-29-2007, 10:40pm
For all you multitrack software folks, you should really demo Reaper. Best work flow, most customizable and most stable platform I've tried and I've used a number of the "big name" multitrack softwares out there. Costs 40.00, though it is shareware.

James P
Jun-29-2007, 11:44pm
Reaper is a great program. #Also, the ASIO4ALL drivers (http://www.asio4all.com/) can solve a lot of problems when using stock soundcards.

TonyP
Jun-30-2007, 2:41pm
hey petimar, dl'd Reaper. I do like the layout, but I don't like the clunky way you seem to have to import. I'm still going to be recording on my stand akai's as I just hate having to keep a pc strictly for recording to ensure that's it's not going to get gunked up from the usual everyday use. I just want to import into the pc to edit, not record. I know a guy who does software for a living, and he still uses his recorders over his computers for multitrack because of pc probs. To each his own. But so far the one that, for me so far, is the easiest to use is Audition, as it imports right off cd's(changes .cda's right to wave) and worked with my stock sound card. Now, I seethat James had post about and update for Reaper about the cd drives I think. I won't give up on Reaper yet, and I do appreciate the pointer. But I have a problem with some programs when they don't follow my weird brand of intuition, coupled what my fairly new Dell will work with.

James P
Jun-30-2007, 10:44pm
This is bad.
I came to the jam early to setup for recording. My first time doing this. Three mics spread out around the room, soundcheck seemed to go okay. Then, once we were ready to burn, everybody suddenly starts talking and drinking. Meanwhile, your reporter finds an open wifi node. At some point I may actually get around to playing tonight...

Pete Martin
Jul-04-2007, 3:54pm
Importing in Reaper is easier then any other multitrack program I've used. Just open the media window (under VIEW) and drag and drop. Very easy.

oggiesnr
Jul-11-2007, 5:06am
Son and I use a small Behringer mixer (£60) as an interface between us and the computer. Let's us balance instruments like bandoneon and melodeon which have a bass and treble side or use two mikes (near and distant) for string instruments and whistles. Also has phantom power as well as DI and an effects send.

Have used both audacity and steinberg, I prefer the former, him the latter but he's a keyboard player and I'll accept that Steinberg works better for great screeds of midi data.

We've a Samson USB condensor mike which works fine but in the long run we keep going back to the Behringer and two cheap (£6) no name mikes from a local second hand shop.

All the best

Steve

techfiddle
Jul-11-2007, 5:47am
I use the following setup; it works reliably, and it's cost effective. #See:

How to record students
http://beststudentviolins.com/electronics.html#mic

1. #Laptop computer (http://beststudentviolins.com/electronics.html#lap) (this is mine - any lap or pc will do fine)
2. #Audacity software (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows) (free)
3. #Microphone (http://beststudentviolins.com/electronics.html#mic)
4. #Boom (http://beststudentviolins.com/electronics.html#boom) (microphone stand - necessary to get a good sound)
5. #Smart MP3 Wave Converter (http://www.mp3cdsoftware.com/smart-mp3-wave-converter-download-1279.htm) 2.1, $20.00

Douglas McMullin
Jul-11-2007, 6:18am
I had been pondering this for a while myself. I wanted to go the simple route and get a basic Mic like an SM57, but I kept reading about possible amplification issues depending on the sound card and computer. For that reason I held off. The other days I was reading reviews of this setup: Sampson Audio - C01U recording pack (http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1904); most everything I was seeing was very favorable. I decided to give it a shot. It will be here today and over the weekend I will create some samples with it to share.

You can just get the mic, but the package with a basic desktop stand and shock mount looked to be a reasonable buy. It was $154 through Amazon (JR Audio).

Klaus Wutscher
Jul-11-2007, 6:30am
Connie,

looks like a great and easy setup for laptop-PC based homerecording. Just last week I bought the Zoom H4, which is a great device for "fieldrecording" and sketching song ideas. Did not try the 4 track mode yet but it should be decent, too.

Don Christy
Jul-11-2007, 6:43am
Many thanks for all the responses. #I have an iPod nano, so the iTalk looks like a nice easy option to try.

Edthesquid, thanks for the feedback on the Boss BR-Micro. #It sounds as if it would be good - perhaps something to think about at a later stage.

Fliss
I you're going the iPod nano route, check out the micromemo from xtrememac too:
Micromemo (http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphones_recorders/micromemo_nano_2g/index.php)

I use the larger one for the video and like it pretty well.
Don

Douglas McMullin
Jul-12-2007, 4:20am
I got the Sampson C01U USB mic last night. I only had a brief window to test it, but I am very pleased by my initial recordings. Over the weekend I will try to get things setup properly to create some good samples.