PDA

View Full Version : Sticker residue on mandolin case

mandoforme
Jun-13-2007, 7:35pm
The case that came with my Kentucky KM-1500 mandolin was covered in stickers. I have removed all of the stickers except five, but I am going to remove them as well. Of course when I removed the stickers some glue residue was left behind on the case. What is a safe and effective cleaner I can use on the case to remove the glue residue? I was able to remove some of the residue with Martin Guitar polish, but I need something stronger to finish the job.

All feedback will be appreciated!

Jerry Byers
Jun-13-2007, 7:49pm
What is case made of?

mandoforme
Jun-13-2007, 7:51pm
The case is an old Superior case. Forgive my ignorance, but I guess the exterior is vinyl.

mandodan1960
Jun-13-2007, 8:05pm
There's a product called Goo-Gone (Walmart/Target) which you can purchase or if you already have a can of WD-40 penetrating oil you can use that and then go over it with a degreaser like 409 the get rid of the smell. I know it works good on vinyl but I would test it first. I've got enough people looking for me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

woodysny
Jun-13-2007, 8:25pm
I had that problem with a calton case. I used acetone to remove the sticker goo. Use very sparingly.

B. T. Walker
Jun-13-2007, 8:37pm
Goo Gone is safe and effective. Acetone ate the enamel paint off a thermos I got for a gift on which the giftors left the price tag, and I've never used it again for that purpose. WD-40 you absolutely should test first. Peanut butter is recommended by the Foxfire books as safe, but (from personal experience) it works only okay.

Brian

mandoforme
Jun-13-2007, 8:39pm
Thank you everyone for the input. I do have some WD-40 in the garage. I will buy some Goo-Gone tomorrow at Wal-Mart and give it a try.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-13-2007, 8:56pm
WD-40 or Lemon Pledge will remove most sticker residue.

Steve Davis
Jun-14-2007, 10:02am
Naptha, (Ronsonol lighter fuel,) works well on sticker and tape glue and will not damage vinyl.

mandroid
Jun-14-2007, 11:36am
on the market, there is also 3M adhesive solvent,
and a Medical adhesive cleaner, for long term care patients.

..or ad a layer of stickers of your own choosing..

Andrew Lewis
Jun-14-2007, 1:22pm
Goo gone usually does the job, but I have seen it eat through some plastics. I prefer Goof Off (purchased at Home Depot), because I have yet to see it damage a surface and it works just as well. Whatever you use, definitely make sure you test it on an inconspicuous spot.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-15-2007, 4:37am
IŽll go with Steve Davis on that one.Lighter fuel has removed nearly all the sticky stuff iŽve encountered over the years,sometimes needs a bit of hard rubbing though,but it wonŽt damage most surfaces.Petroleum jelly, (Vaseline),works ok too,by making the goo non-sticky you can eventually rub it off with a soft cloth.

Jun-15-2007, 5:18am
I watched a stupid programme called 'how celean is your house' the other night (I must have been spiked with drugs I think).
Anyhooo, they recomended removing old stickers or glue from these stickers by soaking the area with 'mayonaise (or Mayo if I MUST bastardise )
Leaving it for 10mins and then getting say a maxed out credit card and gently scraping.
Hey presto!,it worked, Then my brain colapsed. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MikeEdgerton
Jun-15-2007, 7:26am
Most sticker residue can be removed with virtually any oil.... WD-40, lemon oil, the vegetable oil in mayonnaise, peanut oil in peanut butter, heck the 10-40W in your car. The problem becomes removing the oil after you get the residue off. If it is a hard case with a pretty solid finish it isn't an issue. If the finish is porous or fragile it becomes an issue.

Jim Broyles
Jun-15-2007, 8:08am
Goo gone usually does the job, but I have seen it eat through some plastics. I prefer Goof Off (purchased at Home Depot), because I have yet to see it damage a surface and it works just as well. Whatever you use, definitely make sure you test it on an inconspicuous spot.
DeRoy, I think you have it exactly reversed. The Goo Gone is the gentle stuff and the Goof Off eats material. Believe me, I have made the mistake of confusing the two.

Timbofood
Jun-15-2007, 8:12am
The peanut butter technique can result in being followed by small children and/or elephants.

mandoforme
Jun-15-2007, 12:03pm
Thank you everyone for the advice. I used some Goo Gone yesterday and it worked really well! There are some great people here on the cafe!

jim_n_virginia
Jun-17-2007, 7:54am
I accidently it was hald dried I grabbed some Goof Off and put it on a cloth and rubbed it over the correction fluid and it ate the finish off like I was using sulfuric acid I was so PO's at myself for being so stupid.

But I believe Goof Off or Goo Gone would be OK on a case just keep it away from the instrument. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Jim Broyles
Jun-17-2007, 11:02am
Goof Off is not okay on a tolex or other vinyl case. It will leave a lighter, gray (on a black case) spot, and black will come off on your rag. In my experience, Goo Gone is completely safe on every type of finish and does not harm wooden instruments.

Andrew Lewis
Jun-17-2007, 1:26pm
DeRoy, I think you have it exactly reversed. The Goo Gone is the gentle stuff and the Goof Off eats material. Believe me, I have made the mistake of confusing the two.
Ah! I think you're right. My mistake...

45ACP-GDLF5
Jun-17-2007, 11:40pm
The case that came with my Kentucky KM-1500 mandolin was covered in stickers. #I have removed all of the stickers except five, but I am going to remove them as well. #Of course when I removed the stickers some glue residue was left behind on the case. #What is a safe and effective cleaner I can use on the case to remove the glue residue? #I was able to remove some of the residue with Martin Guitar polish, but I need something stronger to finish the job.

All feedback will be appreciated!
WD-40 will remove it very good. There are about 50 different things that WD-40 will clean up, besides being able to free up rusted parts!! What's amazing is that the main ingredient that does all the work in WD-40 is FISH OIL!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandroid
Jun-18-2007, 1:47am
well the fish displaces water too.

David Hanson
Jun-18-2007, 3:18am
An angle grinder works for me.

Dave H

fatt-dad
Jun-18-2007, 7:10am
Peanut butter followed by dog seems to work. . . .

f-d

Timbofood
Jun-18-2007, 8:41am
Dog would eliminate the final damp cloth wash wouldn't it?