PDA

View Full Version : Flood mandolins

Markse
Jun-13-2007, 12:56pm
I'm quite taken by the mando (#20) that Mr. Flood has posted in the classifieds. I'd be interested in any reviews or feedback. TIA!

Lee Callicutt
Jun-13-2007, 9:48pm
No, but I have been paying attention to his stuff, and it looks really good, and he seems to be focusing in on the neglected bent-top concept. There was one a while back from another builder that he had refurbished with an inordinate amount of work (like carbon fiber rods in the neck) that he was selling for a very good price.

RichM
Jun-14-2007, 9:34am
I'll concur with Lee and say while I have not played one of Tom's custom-built mandolins, I've been very impressed with the restoration work he has done. He seems to take neglected older mandolins and restore them to good structure and playability, and then sells them at extremely reasonable prices. I would think anybody who has done that much restoration is a pretty good builder, too. At the prices he's asking for his new mandolins, the risk is pretty low!

8ch(pl)
Jun-15-2007, 7:23pm
He sells a lot of old flat top and bent top instruments as well. Good values. I don't know where he finds them. Some are refurbished, new tops even I think. I have seen him advertise in the classifieds for a few years.

harper
Aug-12-2007, 10:02pm
I bought two Thomas Flood mandolins. The first one was built from a kit and improved in several ways (carved back and top, maple back and sides, f holes, his own design for bracing). The second was built from scratch and all by hand (bent spruce top, cherry back and sides, D hole, 13 inch scale like a bowl back). He uses good materials and builds with care and artistry. They have excellent volume and tone, near-perfect intonation on all frets, and are easy to play. I am very pleased with these mandos. The first is a gift for my daughter, to replace her Samick (which sells at a similar cost but is dull in comparison), and the short scale one is my travel mando. I think they are an outstanding value. I have done a lot of catch and release and have some wonderful mandolins, but this little cherry mandolin is a keeper.

F5G WIZ
Aug-12-2007, 11:15pm
DAle Ludewig has a few "Flood" mandolins. "Inside Joke" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

C. Carr
Aug-16-2007, 7:42am
Jeez, I was thinking Hurricane Katrina. I've seen so many flood guitars! Luckily mine made it.
Ironically it wasn't until I evacuated to Nashville after Katrina that I picked up the mandolin.

Oops, Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the 'Flood Mandolins" thread.

Regards,

Charlie Carr
(playing Levee-Billy music)
New Orleans