PDA

View Full Version : Pbs special tonight with silverangel

kyken
Jun-12-2007, 4:58pm
Hi all, just thought some of you might be interested to see a program tonight at 10, 9 central June 12th on PBS. It's a documentary on appalachain music and features me and my family in a part of it as instrument makers. Also, my sister and her two children playing fiddle.
thanks, Ken

wichitamando
Jun-12-2007, 5:00pm
I was trying to decide whether to watch it or not. Now I definitely will.

mandolinrick
Jun-12-2007, 5:25pm
Ken,

Is that the Rhythm of My Soul: Kentucky Roots Music show?

Rick

Sonomabob
Jun-12-2007, 5:48pm
Great I will watch it. Should be a good way to hear your mandos.

Then I can keep an eye out for them in the classified.

kyken
Jun-12-2007, 6:06pm
yes, Rhythm of my soul: Ky roots.....

dzen
Jun-12-2007, 6:37pm
I'll watch for it Ken, sounds great. PBS is my only TV. They're doing their fundraiser this week (here in Nebraska) so it seems like it's bad classical music week, all Andre Rieu, all the time, but I can hope.

Kevin Briggs
Jun-12-2007, 7:08pm
Cool, man. I'll check 'er out.

JEStanek
Jun-12-2007, 7:14pm
Sadly the Philly/Reading/Allentown PBS stations aren't airing it.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Congratulations on the film though and I hope people follow up with comments about the show.

Jamie

Kevin Briggs
Jun-12-2007, 7:24pm
Crapola! I won't be able to see it. Maybe On Demand will have it?

NoNickel
Jun-12-2007, 7:31pm
Go to PBS Listings and search for the title in your area. I found it is playing on the 14th and the 17th in my area.

Rick Crenshaw
Jun-12-2007, 10:09pm
It was a pretty good documentary. Ken's dad, brother, and who all else in his family seemed to take a pretty good part in it. That mandolin sounded great. And I see where Ken's carving talent is family nurtured. A musician was showing off the intricately carved back on his fiddle and stated that it was made by a Ratcliff. I immediately recognized a similarity to the type of carving Ken will do on some of his mandolins and that led into his family's musical instrument building segment. Well done, Ken.

djidaho
Jun-12-2007, 10:37pm
Cool, It's on tonight in my time zone and my local PBS.
Thanks

steve V. johnson
Jun-12-2007, 11:30pm
Hey Ken,

I didn't see this thread before I saw the program, and I enjoyed the pgm a LOT. Excellent. I thought those were your people! Wonderful!

Congratulations, best to the family and many thanks!

stv

Mark Walker
Jun-13-2007, 12:19pm
I didn't see the thread either; Ken emailed me about it but alas - I was baling hay until about 10:30 last night and came in from the barn exhausted. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

I'll have to check and see if it'll be re-broadcast in the Grand Rapids area...

(Edit) Rats... I plugged in the title of the program and did a search and apparently it's not being broadcast in my area. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

dzen
Jun-13-2007, 5:05pm
Nebraska Public TV actually showed it, I can almost forgive them for all the Andre Rieu. Really fine documentary. I could have watched a full hour on any of the show's subtopics, gospel,bluegrass, old-time, builders. Beautiful photography, made this flatlander want to see Kentucky when the redbuds are in bloom.

Dan Adams
Jun-13-2007, 6:12pm
I arranged my evening to be home and catch the special. Unfortunately, both PBS stations in the Denver metro area are having their spring fundraisers. Instead of kentuckyken, I got a special on John Denver. I hope it gets aired in this areas at some point in time. Dan

DryBones
Jun-13-2007, 7:16pm
Just got done watching it on TIVO. we had a storm last night and I lost power before I got home from work.I stayed up until 1:30 am when the power finally came back on so I could set the TIVO to record at 3am. Definitely worth the effort. It was nice seeing Ken and the clan in the shop. My only gripe was during the clip of Bill Monroe, just when he is starting his break they start talking over him and finally just cut away. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

wichitamando
Jun-13-2007, 7:24pm
Nicely done program. Ken, I thought the part on your family was excellent.

Lane Pryce
Jun-13-2007, 7:48pm
Its on Thursday night at 10:00 on UNC-TV for the NC viewers. Lp

Deaf David
Jun-14-2007, 3:23am
It aired here in western Kentucky on the 13th. I taped the program for my daughter (who plays bluegrass fiddle and guitar). I just now saw this post. I had no idea anybody from this board was on the program.

That segment of the fiddle/mandolin making family was my favorite part. What a wonderful way to grow up!