PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin ringtones

Dan Cole
Jun-12-2007, 9:44am
I was playing on the computer and trying to make a cool mandolin ringtone. I was experimenting with the first 15 or so seconds of Dawg's Rag and Happy Birthday Bill Monroe. I followed all the instructions I found online at various spots but I must be doing something wrong. It appears everything copies over at something like 44000 whatevers and my NOkia phone only does 22000 whatevers so when I convert its so SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Acoustic Disc, how about making some great Dawg Ringtones I can buy and download? That would be cool.

arbarnhart
Jun-12-2007, 10:22am
My ringtone is the first few bars of "Get Your Nose Outta My Bizness" by Rich DelGrosso. A low tech sound conversion that usually works is to go into the Volume Control and click the Advaned button, click the Recording radio button and see if you have an entry for "Record what you hear" or "Mixer" on the bottom that is unchecked. If so, check it and you will be able to record whatever you play through your speakers in Sound Recorder (or Audacity if you want to get fancier). It is not CD quality, but the sound is pretty clean and fine for a ring tone.

Dan Cole
Jun-12-2007, 10:29am
I was using Audacity. I need to see if I can rip the CD at the lower freq to start. That might solve the issue.

MandoSquirrel
Jun-12-2007, 4:19pm
If I want to hear mandolin, I'll play mandolin or a mandolin CD. If I want my phone to ring, I want it to sound like a telephone.

mandopete
Jun-12-2007, 4:33pm
Huh...my phone just goes "tooky-tooky"

Kid Charlemagne
Jun-12-2007, 5:00pm
I've got a cable for my phone, and uploaded the first 45 seconds of Desvairada (Marshall and Thile) to it. Thing is, it was never intended as a ringtone.

See, I prefer using my cell phone as an alarm instead something else, but other ringtones and the alarm sounds are too harsh. I don't like to be awakened at a start.

Desvairada starts out quiet and builds up in volume, and works perfectly to wake me up without jolting me awake in an instant.

mandopete
Jun-12-2007, 5:09pm
Huh...my alarm just goes "Hey, wake the h*ll up!"

Mike Bunting
Jun-12-2007, 5:47pm
Somewhere a year or so ago,I easily downloaded Southern Flavor to my phone as a ringtone, but I can't remember the source. Was it Butch's site? Now when
i hear Southern Flavor emanating from my pants pocket, I know it's for me!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Scotti Adams
Jun-12-2007, 5:51pm
CMT.com has mando ringtones..pretty generic but they are mando..you have to do a little diggin on the sight but you'll find them there.

JEStanek
Jun-12-2007, 7:17pm
Huh...my alarm just goes "Hey, wake the h*ll up!"
My alarm goes... elbow into ribs... "Jamie, oh my God! It's 7... you're late for work!"

I hate that one.

Jamie

arbarnhart
Jun-12-2007, 9:32pm
If I want to hear mandolin, I'll play mandolin or a mandolin CD. If I want my phone to ring, I want it to sound like a telephone.
I felt that way for a long time but the dang phones are everywhere and it is hard to get a unique ring from the presets; I kept pulling my phone out when someone else's rang. When I decided I needed something diferent, I chose something I like that few people listen to and I haven't come across anyone else with the same ring tone.

JeffD
Jun-12-2007, 10:50pm
Either that or a George Carlin voice saying "answer the damn phone".

Dan Cole
Jun-12-2007, 11:34pm
I was looking for some information. If I wanted a smart A$$ reply, I'd ask for smart A$$ replies.

Forget it, I'll figure it out.

DryBones
Jun-13-2007, 12:15am
I've got Bill doing Blue Moon of Kentucky. yes, I get looks when it rings http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Pete Braccio
Jun-13-2007, 1:30am
Sam Bush playing Stingray is on mine. I converted it to an MP3 and the phone was able to play it as a ringtone.

Pete

GVD
Jun-13-2007, 8:11am
I use Motorola phone tools which makes it a snap to create unique ring tones. You just open the program and play whatever wav or mp3 file you want. Then highlight the portion of the break you want, hit save and you're done.

GVD

tnpathfinder
Jun-13-2007, 8:18am
I used Bluetooth on my MAC to load up Shuckin' the Corn when my phone rings. I have tendancy to let it ring for a second or two longer though.

bgjunkie
Jun-13-2007, 8:22am
I have the intro to Tim O'Brien's "Family History" as my ring tone.

arbarnhart
Jun-13-2007, 8:31am
I used Bluetooth on my MAC to load up Shuckin' the Corn when my phone rings. I have tendancy to let it ring for a second or two longer though.
That reminds me of another reason I like my ring tone. I don't have to count rings to know if I need to be quick before it goes to voice mail; I know when it will do that based on the point in the song.

Tke - Do you still have problems with yours? I would have expected adjusting Audicity's recording parameters would fix it. On my phone, I have found that some songs play better from a WAV. I think that may have to do with the LAME encoder Audicity uses to create MP3 files, but I am not sure.

PseudoCelt
Jun-13-2007, 8:37am
It appears everything copies over at something like 44000 whatevers and my Nokia phone only does 22000 whatevers so when I convert its so SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
If you're using Audacity, there should be a menu where you can easily reduce the recording quality from 44,400, to whatever your phone can handle. I think it's under "Preferences" on a Mac, probably the same on a PC. It should be obvious when you find it.

Patrick

Timbofood
Jun-13-2007, 8:42am
Say, Mandopete is that like "The cry of the ancient tookey tookey bird?" "Aw, Aw, OOh,OOh Tookey, tookey" from the old George of the Jungle cartoon?
I always wanted a really good Lester Flatt "G"run but, I will have to get one of those stupid phones first.

Aran
Jun-13-2007, 9:00am
I just record into the voice recorder part of the phone then set that as my ringtone.

I have a fairly old Nokia so most modern phones should have the voice recording option.

You can then either record yourself playing or put your phone next to a speaker of something you have in your music collection.

Aran
Jun-13-2007, 9:02am
I also have me playing Big Mon as my answer phone message.

I only play one round of each part to shorten it slightly, still some people don't want to hear even that much so don't leave a message which suits me because then the message can't of been that important!

Dan Cole
Jun-13-2007, 9:46am
I had found the change on Audacity from 44400 to the needed. That when it slows down. I'm wondering if when I rip the CD originally if I need to rip it at the correct freq. I have also tried the WAV thing. I'll get it figured out eventually.

I think I'm going to go play my mandolin and listen to a CD and wait for the phone to ring! I have been wanting to move the phone off the top of the pole outside, but I like it when I get to watch the wife climb up to answer it. Especially when she wears those cute spring dresses!

otterly2k
Jun-13-2007, 10:11am
AT the risk of looking dumb...
How does one create ringtones? I have browsed the offerings that are available for download and very few of them are of interest to me. I'd love to create my own, but didn't know it was possible. Can someone point me in the right direction (I have a motorola phone and t-mobile)? thanks

Dan Cole
Jun-13-2007, 10:32am
This is the path I was following:

http://lifehacker.com/softwar....232.php (http://lifehacker.com/software/ringtones/geek-to-live--make-a-ringtone-from-any-mp3-212232.php)

arbarnhart
Jun-13-2007, 11:07am
AT the risk of looking dumb...
How does one create ringtones? #I have browsed the offerings that are available for download and very few of them are of interest to me. #I'd love to create my own, but didn't know it was possible. #Can someone point me in the right direction (I have a motorola phone and t-mobile)? #thanks
It varies by phone. Mine uses Bluetooth or a cable and my notebook has Bluetooth so I have that set up. It looks like a removable drive and I can drag MP3 or WAV files to it in Windows Explorer. On the phone, I can look at the music files and I have a menu of operations to perform on the selected file, one of which is set as ringtone. These advanced phones are a double edged sword, though. Sometimes my phone starts responding slowly; I will open to answer a call and it will keep ringing or open to make a call and it takes several seconds to open the address book. Sometimes it will lose the signal and can't get it back even though I am in a known good area. Sometimes it just crashes. In these case, I have to reboot it by powering off and on. I have gotten into the habit of doing this every time I recharge. It also keeps taking pictures inside my pocket...

PseudoCelt
Jun-13-2007, 11:12am
I had found the change on Audacity from 44400 to the needed. That when it slows down. #I'm wondering if when I rip the CD originally if I need to rip it at the correct freq.
I think that's what I would do - rip it again with everything set how you want. It's usually the least painful way.

Patrick

Elliot Luber
Jun-13-2007, 4:31pm
How do you send a home recorded MP3 ring tone to your Verizon cell phone?

Dan Cole
Jun-13-2007, 4:46pm
Santiago,

I have Verizon too. I haven't tried the Bluetooth route yet, but I think you can go to Verizon Wireless at "Messaging", then "Picture and Video Messaging", LOGIN to the acount you have to create. Once logged in, go to Send a Message and upload the WAV file. This is where I have been running into issues because of size etc. But I'm sure its possible, just need to play with it more.

I think the blue tooth option is the best, just haven't gone that route yet either.

jeromie
Jun-13-2007, 5:09pm
I'm using the intro to Chris Thile's "Song for a Young Queen" for my ringtone. I wanted something with no vocals that wouldn't annoy me or those around me to hear repeatedly. I love it.

As to how I got it to my Verizon phone, I used Myxer Tones (http://www.myxertones.com/). Easy, free, and worked great.

mandelect
Jun-13-2007, 5:26pm
I made a loop out of the twin mandolin riff from Strength In Numbers "Macedonia". The bit just after Jerry's solo where you can hear just mandos of Sam Bush & Mark O'Connor,along with Bela's banjo. Works great as an mp3 ringtone.

I also have vids of the Marshall / Thile Woodsongs show converted for use on my phone - Gator Strut, Desvairada, Waiting For Kodiak & Fisher's Hornpipe - but that's another story!

Dan Cole
Jun-13-2007, 6:31pm
That Myxer Tones was way too easy! There has to be a catch! Thanks.

Dan

otterly2k
Jun-14-2007, 10:08am
FWIW, I spent some time researching this last night... several free ringtone creator programs available including myxer and some others. I haven't figured out yet how to get this onto my phone, since I don't have phone based web... I do have bluetooth, but am just figuring out my way around it, and trying to figure out how to connect my phone with my computer.

Steve Davis
Jun-14-2007, 10:44am
I think they just call your phone and it downloads automatically.

otterly2k
Jun-14-2007, 10:53am
Steve... I may be wrong, but I'm not sure it works that way. I believe it downloads via wireless web connection, and that t-mobile has proprietary access to what web I can access unless I pay for unlimited web access. Which I haven't since I generally don't need it.
If I'm wrong about this, let me know...

jeromie
Jun-19-2007, 9:28pm
If you phone has picture message capability, they can send it as a text message with the ringtone attached. Despite the fact that my phone is web capable, that's how they delivered it to me.

When you log in to Myxer Tones you can select your carrier and your phone, and they will tell you if it is supported. Though it's worth a shot even if your phone is not explicitly on the list. All it costs is the price of a text (with picture) message.

I originally went with Myxer Tones because Verizon disables the object exchange bluetooth profile, so I can't easily move songs over to my phone. It couldn't have been simpler on my own, though.

mandolooter
Jun-22-2007, 9:23am
I uploaded one here for my phone...mp3 format..then ya send it to your phone.

phonezoo (http://www.phonezoo.com/Register.do;jsessionid=48BE942AFDE80534317163A0650 53109)

otterly2k
Jun-22-2007, 9:30am
b/c I don't have general web access nor picture messaging on my phone, I unfortunately can't use these... oh well. maybe I'll pay for a month of web access in order to get some tones loaded and then cancel it.

kyblue
Jun-22-2007, 1:29pm
Thanks for the myxer tip. I'm with AT&T. Couldn't be easier. I even changed where myxer started & ended the clips on the songs I sent them.

Now when I hear Sammy Shelor playing Ernest T Grass, I know it's my phone.

Paula

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dan Cole
Jun-22-2007, 1:52pm
I ended up using the start of Dawg's "Dawg's Rag". It's way too cool. I have been learning that one bar opening, note for note, straight from Dawg's 6 CD set, I still can't get it to sound anywhere near the same. Now every time my phone rings I want to practice!