PDA

View Full Version : cutting the headblock

toddr
Feb-02-2004, 2:20am
i'm having a little trouble getting a smooth cut on the inside of the scroll on my headblocks. i'm using a 14" bandsaw with a 1/8" blade. the saw has been well tuned and tracked, but in the sharp curves if i slow down too much i get a rough looking cut. is this normal? am i expecting too much for a smooth cut or is there a trick involving sanding or cutting by hand? this is my first attempt at an f-style. i would appreciate any ideas or techniques anyone else is using.

crawdad
Feb-02-2004, 4:08am
I've had the same problem. I think its just a tight little cut to be cleaned up with some files and sandpaper.

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-02-2004, 10:22pm
I find it useful to use a slightly dull blade and clean the cut up by dragging the kerf backwards

bobz
Feb-03-2004, 11:17am
Hi toddr
I personally thick even an 1/8 inch blade is too wide for such a tight curve. I use a scroll saw and cut just shy of the line.

bobz
Feb-03-2004, 11:28am
I`ve made some sanding sticks from some steel tube by hacksawing the tube into strips and applying Stew Mac 80 grit Gold Stickit abrasive. One of the strips has been flattened out a bit more in a metal working vice. The Gold Stickit is a wonderful tool, acts like a file and lasts for ages. Here`s a picture.

John Bertotti
Feb-03-2004, 12:20pm
Hi Bobz, have you tried any of the multi directional blades for your scroll saw? Or any of the abrasive sticks to smooth things up after the cut? Thanks John

P Josey
Feb-03-2004, 7:58pm
Bear Woods, a woodworkers'/crafters' mail order supply house, sells an excellent scroll saw blade. It cuts and leaves a finish that doesn't require any sanding. I'm going to try to leave a link to this blade using instructions f5journal posted yesterday. If it doesn't work, it's his fault. It's my first time so here goes.Bear Woods Precision Ground Blade (http://www.bearwood.com/shop/searchresults.asp?ProdManList=ALL&ProdTypeList=Scroll+Saw+Blad%2FPrecision)

stevesrustyone
Feb-03-2004, 10:05pm
An 1/8 in. drill bit placed in a Drill Press will clean up this area also. Carefully work the drill bit side to side, very little sanding work left to do.

Keep on Pickn'

Steverustyone, http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif