PDA

View Full Version : Distressed yellowstone 'f'

Rick Banuelos
Jun-11-2007, 4:53pm
We've been working on an elegant way to get this look for awhile; I think Brett (our finish guru) deserves kudos.

Rick Banuelos
Jun-11-2007, 4:54pm
Close-up

Rick Banuelos
Jun-11-2007, 4:55pm
Scroll Close-up

Rick Banuelos
Jun-11-2007, 4:56pm
Back

Rick Banuelos
Jun-11-2007, 4:56pm
The Rear Scroll

Rick Banuelos
Jun-11-2007, 4:57pm
Head Stock

Steve Cantrell
Jun-11-2007, 5:23pm
Wow, Rick! That's just great.Excellent work!

newfs
Jun-11-2007, 5:31pm
I have to say that is beautiful workmanship. Congratulations.

Hal Loflin
Jun-11-2007, 6:19pm
Hey Rick...I went to your website and could not find any info in this model. Is it available yet? I have a custom Yellowstone and love it...might be a case of MAS setting in.

THanks

Andrew Lewis
Jun-11-2007, 6:23pm
Spectacular!

tnpathfinder
Jun-11-2007, 6:35pm
Holy $@!* that scroll is the coolest mod. to trad. design I have ever seen. I LOVE IT!

Bryan Monarch
Jun-11-2007, 6:48pm
Wow, thats so beautiful. Love the distress on the arm rest area. Perfect.

Nick Triesch
Jun-11-2007, 7:08pm
Rick!!! Holy Smokes!!! You guys are doing some great work!! What a terrific mandolin. It's really great to watch a really good mandolin Company turn into a really great mandolin Company and I bet the best is yet to come. Weber should give their finish guy a raise. Nick

John Hill
Jun-11-2007, 7:37pm
That is one sharp mandolin, best looking Yellowstone I've ever seen is an understatement.

MASadict
Jun-11-2007, 8:22pm
That is awsome! Pricewise, how does it compare to the distressed Gibson? I played one in Nashville with a $25,500 price tag

jasona
Jun-11-2007, 8:36pm
Very nice looking mandolin!

So what's this about Weber not permitting new mandolin sales on the Cafe in the future (per the information in the current classified ad)?

John Hill
Jun-11-2007, 8:43pm
So what's this about Weber not permitting new mandolin sales on the Cafe in the future (per the information in the current classified ad)?
I don't know but surely that must pertain only to new mandolins and is a poor idea IMO.

sgarrity
Jun-11-2007, 8:55pm
I like that a lot. So is it distressed in finish only? Or do you have a process like Gibson?

JohnF
Jun-11-2007, 9:14pm
Hey doesn't Gibson own that distressed thing? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Just kidding all you Gibson fans and in fact I have an A9 that's pretty distressed itself. It's worth more now, right? Seriously, these new Webers look awesome. Can't wait to see an updated Web site.

Kevin Briggs
Jun-11-2007, 9:24pm
Looks sweet, Rick. I'm not a big distresed fan either.

B. T. Walker
Jun-11-2007, 9:53pm
<gasp>

That is one fine looking mandolin, Rick. Kudos.

Brian

ronlane3
Jun-11-2007, 10:38pm
I bet that bad boy doesn't last long. Very nice looking. Would love to hear it played. What's the street price?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

JEStanek
Jun-11-2007, 10:46pm
That's a pretty good looking distressed model. Rick, is that information in the classified ad correct, per 6/15/2007 Webers won't be displayed on the Café or E-bay?

Link to ad (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=23831&query=retrieval). If so, why? Seems like a bad marketing decision. I'm hoping this is a misunderstanding. How will we get to see the wonderful instrument that Weber is giving away via the Café if their images are aren't posted? Just doesn't make sense! I'll await the official skinny on this. But kudos to the Weber staff, especially Brett.

Jamie

jasona
Jun-11-2007, 11:39pm
Probably just the seller trying to excite potential buyers.

Sorry for the thread hijack. It is one of the nicest Webers I've seen!

John Flynn
Jun-12-2007, 12:05am
So, Rick, I'm just curious: You've posted four new mandolins in this section since June 1. Is this Weber's new advertising strategy? I mean at this rate, you'll have the whole catalog on here by July! Also, is there some relation between this new advertising strategy and the prohibition about dealers not advertising new mandolins in Classifieds? Are you cutting the dealers out of a channel to market, while you go direct here in "Post a picture...?" Are you worried at all that other builders will pick up on this strategy and pretty soon this section will just be saturated with free advertising? Inquiring minds want to know!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

pjlama
Jun-12-2007, 12:11am
The Mandolin store has it coming in at $5579. So let's see $25000 - $5579 = A lot less! But let's not forget several builders are doing nice distressed models so it makes sense that Weber would stay in their own ballpark. Nice job Weber!

Hal Loflin
Jun-12-2007, 12:55am
Mando Johnny...Companies and individual luthiers have been displaying their product on this particular forum for a long time so I don't get your singling Rick and Weber out.

Examples...Gordon and Eastman; Big Joe and Gibson; Peter Mix and The New MAD mandolins; pretty much every Silver Angel that has been built recently...and the list could go on and on.

I don't see anything wrong with what Rick has done. As for a change in Weber's advertising policy, has anything official been posted about this change?

But back to the topic...GREAT LOOKING MANDOLIN RICK!

Chris Biorkman
Jun-12-2007, 6:53am
Apparently it's okay to make accusations or say something nasty as long as you put a little smiley face after it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

John Flynn
Jun-12-2007, 8:05am
Oh, goody. Now we have the "Weber Police," people who try to decide for the rest of us what can, and can not, be said on a Weber thread by shouting down opinions and questions they don't like and criticizing the people who post them. We've had that before with other brands. It only works for a while, but eventually it draws more fire that it deflects. You guys obviously imagine that Weber is incapable of answering questions or handling criticism on thier own, so they need you to help them out. My guess is they can handle it on thier own, thank you very much. Besides, it's actually good for Weber. It keeps the thread going and as they say, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

The fact remains: After hardly using this thread for promotion at all, ever, Weber has now posted four new mandolins in two weeks, which I think is a record for any builder and certainly a record for them. At the same time, we hear about a new Classifieds policy. I made light of it in my earlier post, but I asked questions worth asking, and worth answering. Weber would only be helped by responding.

Mark Walker
Jun-12-2007, 8:06am
I don't think Mando Johnny was out of line - I took his questions to be 'tongue in cheek' and nothing derogatory contained within them. (And there might even be a legitimate question or two based on his observations!)

I think it's great all the independent luthiers as well as any larger entity, (Gibson, MK, Webber, whomever) can display their fine instruments for all of us to collectively drool over!

While Mandolin Cafe' might not be part of anyone's 'marketing budget' per se, it's a great place for exposure, input from potential buyers (as well as casual observers) and is simply another of the many perks and features Scott Tichenor has provided to all us us with this site.

Oh - great looking Webber distressed mandolin too! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Cheers!

Laura Leder
Jun-12-2007, 8:14am
Hey, Rick,
It looks great! Love the distressed look.
I'm sure it sounds unbelievable, too.
Thanks for the pic,
Laura

Domhnall
Jun-12-2007, 8:50am
Stunning

Chris Biorkman
Jun-12-2007, 9:40am
I think you actually have to own a Weber to be an officer in the Weber PD, which I do not.

Now bluegrass police, I can see that...

mandobando
Jun-12-2007, 9:43am
I don't mind Weber posting at all. Lots of other builders do it. I enjoy seeing new pictures. I think we all need to just relax a bit http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

cooper4205
Jun-12-2007, 10:30am
That mando is tastefully done, and it's nice that it is affordable, too.

the add stating that about Weber's new policy is down now, i guess because he's had it listed on e-bay, too.

I would wait until it comes from the horse's mouth before passing judgement. like someone said before, the seller is probably doing it to cause some sense of urgency to try and sell the mandolin.

Kevin Briggs
Jun-12-2007, 10:37am
Yep, relaxing is good. Everyone's obviously free to say what they want regarding a mandolin, mandolin company, or general mandolin related stuff.

I'm probably a member of the Weber Police, but I don't like the term. I think Weber Mafia is much better. It emphasizes loyalty and what not. In addiiton, I always like to respond to Weber threads because I am a very happy Weber owner, and I think STE gets a little extra criticism sometimes because of their visbility and their size. I like to just work towards Weber getting the same kind of attention as other top builders. In my opinion, they are right at the top of all the builders in the world. This is based on my satisfaction with the mandolin I currently play, which is not even their "top" model. However, the said "top" model is slated to be finished for me by June 18. Having... trouble... waiting....:;):

Rick Banuelos
Jun-12-2007, 10:37am
I like that a lot. #So is it distressed in finish only? #Or do you have a process like Gibson?

We do have a special aging process that nearly every one of our instruments undergoes; our distressing process does go further than the finish. I'm not familiar with exactly what Gibson's process is.

That's a pretty good looking distressed model. Rick, is that information in the classified ad correct, per 6/15/2007 Webers won't be displayed on the Café or E-bay?

I've asked my dealers to stop advertising new mandolins on ebay and on the Café. Used mandolins are (as always) okay for posting and selling in any forum.

To reiterate: Weber mandolins will not be withheld from display on the Café. I've simply asked my dealers to cease selling brand-new Weber mandolins there.

So, Rick, I'm just curious: You've posted four new mandolins in this section since June 1. Is this Weber's new advertising strategy?

No. Our advertising strategy is still in development; the pictures are merely meant to heighten awareness and provide familiarity with the changes we've made.

I mean at this rate, you'll have the whole catalog on here by July! Also, is there some relation between this new advertising strategy and the prohibition about dealers not advertising new mandolins in Classifieds? Are you cutting the dealers out of a channel to market, while you go direct here in "Post a picture...?"

Any one of my dealers is always welcome to advertise their business on the Café.

We're not selling direct; as is noted in the thread topic, this mandolin is on its way to The Mandolin Store in Ohio. In fact, posting pictures of this model may help generate business for TMS. However, the reason I've been posting pictures is much more simple than that:

I merely wish to share with the members of the Café the new things we are doing here. I made a promise months ago to post pictures of our new models as they were released; I'm following through with that promise. In upcoming weeks, that will mean pictures of the new Big Sky, the updated Bridger, and the Custom Vintage 'F' we're building for the giveaway. Beyond that, I may post pictures of mandolins (like the custom Fern from last week) that are beautiful and out of the ordinary, and highlight our collaboration with players.

Are you worried at all that other builders will pick up on this strategy and pretty soon this section will just be saturated with free advertising?

No. If this board does get flooded by advertising, I'm hoping that I won't be responsible for it.

The fact remains: After hardly using this thread for promotion at all, ever, Weber has now posted four new mandolins in two weeks, which I think is a record for any builder and certainly a record for them.

As I said before, I'm not planning on saturating the message board with new pictures of mandolins I'm certain most players have already seen; I think this is a great corner of the discussion board to show the new things we are doing at Weber, and to see photographs and exhibits from all builders of the instruments we love the most.

John Flynn
Jun-12-2007, 10:59am
All good answers, IMHO. Glad I asked!

John Hill
Jun-12-2007, 11:23am
I've asked my dealers to stop advertising new mandolins on ebay and on the Café.
Why the Cafe? Seems to me that if ever there was a conduit to your market it's here. I'm not sure I can figure out the reasoning.

No need to answer if it's company policy not to comment, I'm sure we can all understand if you've been given directives not to divulge your strategies. It's just curious.

Rick Banuelos
Jun-12-2007, 11:32am
Without being too specific, the policy is geared toward emphasizing the relationship between our instruments, our dealers, and our players. The conduit is still there; I have several great dealers who are advertising currently on the Café.

Russ Partain
Jun-12-2007, 11:41am
Rick, I don't like the angry tone of this thread. #I would think that someone has better things to do than bash Weber. #I used to own a Weber Yellowstone. #I really had a good time dealing with Paula Jean. Now as far as posting the mandolins. #You have posted several in two weeks. #I think this is because these mandolins are new designs and you are informing us what is going on at Weber. #You don't here anyone screaming foul when others post their stuff on here. #Why you got a less than polite posting is anybody's guess. #I always like what is different. #I come to this site to see what is new in the mandolin community. #If I can't get this kind of stuff here, I will stop using the site. #I personally think this is the appropriate place for your posts. #I liked the mandolin pretty good, but all the goods are in the sound. #The mandolin definitely has the looks. #You did not mention the specs too much. #Would you please do this? #I am curious what its features are other than the distressing. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

cooper4205
Jun-12-2007, 11:48am
man, its been settled just let sleeping dogs lie and i'm sure the thread won't continue in a negative manner.

Rick-

will the distressing be available as a custom option on the other mandolins you guys make?

Rick Banuelos
Jun-12-2007, 11:51am
It's a Yellowstone with a double-cutaway fretboard, fern inlay, distressed gold hardware, a new color, and VERY thin finishing coat. The top is Sitka spruce.

Tom C
Jun-12-2007, 12:01pm
When a independent luthier or company does something new I like to see it.
So I say...keep 'um coming.

John Hill
Jun-12-2007, 12:11pm
Rick, I don't like the angry tone of this thread. I would think that someone has better things to do than bash Weber.
Maybe more http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif & http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif should be added in order to make sure the tone of posts aren't misconstrued.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Rick Banuelos
Jun-12-2007, 12:22pm
Distressing (in this style of finish only) will be a new option on Yellowstones, Big Skies, Bighorns, and #Ferns. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

monroerules
Jun-12-2007, 4:06pm
I will agree the new distressed yellowstone is a nice looking mandolin. #I also have no problem of all builders, large and small displaying their work. #It does get old seeing buidlers replicating all the innovations established by Gibson. #I would like to see more innovations as presented by Montelone for example. #This would make the mandolin market a bit more exciting.

Just an opinion

Mike

gwalt
Jun-13-2007, 6:47am
I personally don't get the distressing of a new instrument. If there's going to be any wear on my mandolin it's because I played enough to put it there. I got a distressed Ford pickup I'll be willing to sell for twice the price of a new one that someone could haul their distressed mandolin with.:D

F5G WIZ
Jun-17-2007, 1:48am
I had the good fortune to be able to play this mandolin at the Mando Store yesterday, #it is very tastefuly distressed as to say there are no simulated cracks in the soundboard and no chips in the headstock. #The finish is very thin with simulated pick wear. #The pictures show it pretty well. #The tone of this new mandolin is stellar! #Very woody, and loud with that great bark we all know and love. #Very nice job on this mandolin, I'm surprised it has not sold yet. #Keep up the good work!

Mikey G
Jun-17-2007, 2:03am
Soorry guys, I still don't get the distressing. Gibson says it makes their mandolins sound 80 years old, and look 80 years old as well, although the eighty year old mandolins in the archive look much less distressed to me. Maybe through all of that time many decided their instruments would fair better if taken care of: It makes sense to me if the "distressing" makes it sound better, that's one thing. If the Distressing is for appearance sake only, why bother?

John Flynn
Jun-17-2007, 4:54am
The only possible advantage I can see to distressing is that my worst moments owning instruments are when I accidentally put that first ding in a new mando. With a distressed instrument, it would be no big deal! What I don't get is paying more for it. I thought you were supposed to get a discount for "scratch and dent" products!

I have seen the analogy made between distressed instruments and distressed furniture, which I think has some validity, in that both furniture and mandolins have an aspect of functionality, but at the same time, they also both have an aspect of being pieces of art, the art of woodworking. I looked up some sites on distressed furniture and got some insights into why people like it and I think some of it applies here. One site said that distressing is "creating heirlooms." I guess someone could say, "counterfeiting heirlooms!" Another site said that distressing "gives the appearance of a fine antique" which they say is great because "many people can't afford the real deal." Again, the irony here is that mando buyers have to pay more for the "un-real deal." Yet another site had a slogan that touted distressing as "Recycling the Past to Enjoy in the Future," which I thought was a wonderful bit of twisted hype.

Obviously some people like distressed instruments. Bill Bussman told me he created a "Demented Master Model" once as a joke. It was an F-5 with the scroll sawed off and a "bloody" bandage on the stump! He took it to an instrument show and to his surprise, some guy bought it on the spot!

While I do appreciate a nice looking instrument, I also have to say that I'm not a big fan of how instruments are normally finished either. IMHO, way too much time and energy gets put into making them pretty. Most of them are too shiny for my taste. I like the approach taken with my Martin 000-15S: matte finish and no binding, but it sounds and plays great. That's all that matters. But I still think there is something very slightly dishonest about distressing. It's like it's a very transparent attempt to fake some "street cred" with an instrument. That's just something you can't fake.

markishandsome
Jun-17-2007, 10:35am
If mandolin players REALLY only cared about tone, we'd all be playing A9s or similar barebones As. Some people like distressed mandos because they think they look cool. There's nothing wrong with that! Even if it's not your cup of tea, I don't think it's hard to understand why someone would want a mandolin that looks cool. I think my mandolin looks cool, and it makes me feel good to look at it and hold it. Does that make me play better or make the instrument sound better, probably not, but it makes me feel good. People like pretty things!

JeffD
Jun-17-2007, 10:58am
Rick, its beautiful.

Hans
Jun-17-2007, 2:20pm
I like them for demos because I've beat 'em up before you can get your hands on them! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

12 fret
Jun-17-2007, 3:27pm
How come nobody wants to buy a car with a distressed finish?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?

F5G WIZ
Jun-17-2007, 5:40pm
How come nobody wants to buy a car with a distressed finish?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?
Actually I've noticed in some of the car magazines at work, some of the old hotrod guys now are painting their hot rods in primer and simulated old decals to have that old worn out look. I don't like it on cars. Really didn't like it at first on mando's but ones that are finished like the Weber and also some of the Silver Angels look really nice I think. I don't care for the cracks in the Gibson DMM but they are trying to recreate the look of an old loar and they have really done a good job of doing that I think. The One DMM I have played and probably many of you have played at the Music Outlet in Sevierville TN had an awesome sound I thought.

John Flynn
Jun-17-2007, 9:17pm
Actually I've noticed in some of the car magazines at work, some of the old hotrod guys now are painting their hot rods in primer and simulated old decals to have that old worn out look.
I've read about that online. It's called the "faux-patina" look and it is controversial with the hot rod set. Some hot rod clubs allow it, some shun it. But that is not really the same as new distressed mandos. The hot rodders are taking old cars and either making them look as old as they are, or just allowing them to naturally look as old as they are. With mandos, we have manufacturers making new products that look beat-up.

The fair analogy to cars would be Dodge making brand new Chargers finished with primer, decals and dents. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Another fair analogy, going the other direction, would be owners of well preserved Loars intentionally distressing them so they actually look more like they are 84 years old. I don't see that happening anytime soon either.

F5G WIZ
Jun-17-2007, 11:06pm
At the rate I'm going with my new mando, it will be pretty distressed in a couple years!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif