PDA

View Full Version : Tuning problem

pickin' grandpa
Jun-09-2007, 12:50pm
javascript:emoticon('http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif')
smilie
I have a problem with my mando tuning. I am new to it and I just took it out to work on stuff and my first string has the same sound on the first 2 frets. Then on frets 12 & 13 is the same note as well. Can anyone help me?

Dale Ludewig
Jun-09-2007, 2:04pm
You need at the least a fret dressing. I'll bet if you put a straight edge on the neck you'd find that things aren't straight. A temporary fix might be to raise the action but it sounds like the tops of the frets aren't level.

Peter Hackman
Jun-09-2007, 2:11pm
Could even be that some frets are loose.

dcc
Jun-09-2007, 10:16pm
If you tap the frets with a metal straight edge, it should ring like metal hitting metal. If it thuds, the frets are loose.

Tim2723
Jun-10-2007, 5:54am
If the mandolin is new or has never been set up, then uneven or loose frets are suspects. Uneven frets are corrected by filing or 'dressing' the problem frets. #I have heard of loose frets, but never encountered one myself in thirty years and a dozen mandolins, but it can happen and should be checked. # That repair is best left to a qualified technician.

But there is something that is even more likely, and from the wording of your post, sounds like the trouble:

If this problem just recently developed, that is, it was OK last time you played, then the neck may have simply moved a bit from changes in humidity. #Mandos with very low action can have this happen. #A tiny turn of the bridge thumbwheels (assuming there you have that kind) will correct it. #I just had to make a tiny correction in my mando last month. #It may take as little as a quarter turn of one or both wheels, and won't affect the playability or sound noticiably. #This is one reason why many mandolin bridges have the adjustable wheels, so the player can make the adjustment as needed. #It's pretty common and often mistaken for uneven frets.